Want to get just a little more performance from my bike

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Hey everyone. Just wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to get a bit more speed out of my bike. I have a Zeda triple 40 all stock execpt for an expansion chamber. Started experimenting with jetting. It currently has a 65 in it and the needle clip in the second notch from top. It seems there's a bit more power from what I can feel in the mid to top end range. Would a high performance carburator make a lot of differece? I have some dough I can spend if some upgraded parts are recommended. Would just need some suggestions in that case. It currently tops out in the 35-38 range. If I could hit more like 45 that'd be good enough for me. It's a cruiser frame with a 32t sprocket.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Hey everyone. Just wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to get a bit more speed out of my bike. I have a Zeda triple 40 all stock execpt for an expansion chamber. Started experimenting with jetting. It currently has a 65 in it and the needle clip in the second notch from top. It seems there's a bit more power from what I can feel in the mid to top end range. Would a high performance carburator make a lot of differece? I have some dough I can spend if some upgraded parts are recommended. Would just need some suggestions in that case. It currently tops out in the 35-38 range. If I could hit more like 45 that'd be good enough for me. It's a cruiser frame with a 32t sprocket.
Go to a bigger rear sprocket. A tuned pipe of the usual sort usually means you will be making more power higher up, so you will want to let that engine rev out and breathe.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Sorry no advice about 2 stroke performance speed mods. Except
Make sure your bike is safe enough for the extra speeds and street legal W/lights

You'll like the extra speed so you'll won't be a traffic hazard especially in situations where there's no bike lane or wide shoulder. Most roads I ride on and maybe you too are 40 - 50 mph
DSCF9332 - Copy.JPG DSCF9355.JPG DSCF9350.JPG

Bike lanes are dangerous anyways, drivers think your going at bicycle speeds and will pull out in front of you not realizing how fast your going.
It's safer to ride down the middle of the road at or close to the speed limit
And of course don't be a lane hog.
Let cars pass that come speeding up behind you but only when it's safe for you to do so.
That's when I use a bike lane if available

While doing the speed limit, If ya ride kinda by the shoulder of the road cars are gonna try and squeeze by ya. take the middle of the lane in these dangerous situations
Unless ya got a wide shoulder or a bike lane, Let those speeding impatient drivers pass.

What ya don't want to do when going fast is let cars pass when you only have a small shoulder to ride on. Because if there's a line of cars every car is gonna see the car in front of it pass you then they all will want to pass you. You'll find yourself in a bad situation at a high speed.

Good luck I hope your safely cruising down the road at 45 mph

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Doubt you will see much if any performance increases with a different carb. I tried a couple and honestly didn’t gain anything.
you will probably gain more with gearing custom matched to your bike, a slightly larger or smaller rear sprocket than the stock one will likely show you some gains

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
What about those high performance cdi setups? I know the carb I’m using is a speed carb. It has a 65 jet in it now. Was going to try a 60 jet on 40:1 mix. I’m trying to get more consistent acceleration though the whole throttle range.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
What about those high performance cdi setups? I know the carb I’m using is a speed carb. It has a 65 jet in it now. Was going to try a 60 jet on 40:1 mix. I’m trying to get more consistent acceleration though the whole throttle range.
Just focus on the basics first before you go off getting frustrated with things you don’t know about and trying to fix things by guessing. Two of us have told ya to adjust gearing and see how it goes. There’s another recent thread on here with a 212 on a trike lugging the motor so low that his clutch is smoking from too-tall gearing. With a pipe you should be hitting 7-8k at least. Try going to a 36-40t. Find out where your engine is happiest to start, then start modding parts of it for torque or high end it as needed.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Different ignition will gain you little or nothing. Getting the gearing right will gain you the most easiest. If the bike hits top speed fairly quickly the go smaller on the rear and it it takes a long time to max out go a little bigger. To get much more power out of your engine you will likely need to do some port and polish work a run a higher compression head.

Reactions: mapbike

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I agree with the gearing change, unless you are running flat roads and weight very little. A Expansion chamber has a power band that's in a certain rpm range, with your gearing I believe you are running below the needed rpm. A stock engine rarely benefits from a carb change, the NT can provide more fuel than needed.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
In my opinion dont waste the money in the "hi performance cdi"

an easier and cheaper way to potentially gain a little extra on the top end is to retard the timing a little by filing some material off the maneto magnet key.

I know there are people on youtube who have shown how to do this, from what Ive seen some remove 50% of the keys width so the magneto magnet can be rotated back to retard ignition timing.

This can help on on top end rpm if all else is right which will actually allow the engine to rev higher, if balance is bad, port timing in cylinder isnt right for hi rpms and exhaust is to restrictive, nothing else you do will make the engine more powerful or rev higher.

Everything has to be setup right to get these engines to spool up higher and have a bit more power.

Check out (LA Hover Bikes) channel on youtube, he had several tuning videos and does mostly what I would call common man tips and tricks to get his bikes performing better.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Alright guys. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try my 44t sprocket first to see where that gets me. or I might try like a 36t. I'm going to have to order a new chain before I can try it but when I get it and change my sprocket I'll let ya know how it goes.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Alright guys. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try my 44t sprocket first to see where that gets me. or I might try like a 36t. I'm going to have to order a new chain before I can try it but when I get it and change my sprocket I'll let ya know how it goes.

I know I can speak for the others here when I say we'll be looking forward to your results and we're always glad to lend an ear and give what we think may be a good solution or solutions to someones motor bike issues just like people did for us back when we decided to either dip our toe or just go into this hobby head first ..LOL

Lots of knowledge on this forum even though many of the "old timers" dont seem to be around here anymore for one reason ot another, but I consider myself one if not the least in these discussions compared to the motor bike masters on here, but whatever I have learned from them or just in my own trial and error, Im always happy to share, because I want everyone who wants a kool motorbike to end up with a safe, as reliable as possible and fun bike to enjoy and benefit from in all ways.

SAFETY... 1st since crippled or dead people cant enjoy any of it anymore.

Then on to realistic performance with reliability in mind if possible and that will lead to the most enjoyment from your build.

best wishes.
Map

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Rusty the 44 will make it really turn up the rpm, 36 or 40 should help. I found a 38 a few years ago that I’m running right now, a 40 is my next sprocket. You’ll have to experiment with sprockets, all engines act different, a few years ago I swapped from a 44t to a 41t and lost top speed, the rpm’s fell out of the performance range. That was with a 48cc.