Want to build an AWD eBike with 24v and 48v motors?

GoldenMotor.com

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Okay, so I'm pretty much an eBike noob. I've built two so far, both with SLA batteries, mostly my expertise is in gas bikes, but I need to widen my knowledge. I'm rebuilding the two motors I have into one bike, an Avalon full suspension 26" bike. I have a 48v front hub motor and a 24v rear hub motor. I have read and watched eBike school's info on building and wiring an AWD bike. I plan to use two different batteries (lithium, not SLA, I'm building my own) but I guess my question is, would I be okay to use one throttle for both even at different voltages? I guess if I only wire my power connections to the 48v, there shouldn't be any way for feedback through the throttle? Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this even something I should attempt? I could wire them totally separate, but I don't really want two different throttles on my bike.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Okay, so I'm pretty much an eBike noob. I've built two so far, both with SLA batteries, mostly my expertise is in gas bikes, but I need to widen my knowledge.
You sound like me as I grew my business, if there is something new, try it and learn it ;-}

The throttle wires are just 5V and you should not have any probs hooking up two electric hubs.

You are not going to get synchronous power from each wheel however.
The one with the power will drive, the second, though being powered, will freewheel just wasting power.

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
You sound like me as I grew my business, if there is something new, try it and learn it ;-}
Exactly!!

You are not going to get synchronous power from each wheel however.
The one with the power will drive, the second, though being powered, will freewheel just wasting power.
So what you're saying is, there really isn't much point in doing it that way? I guess the biggest reason I was going to do it was I got swindled in a trade for one of my gas bikes. I traded a heavily modified 66cc low torque MB for what I was told was a 48v motorized bike. Got it home and it was 24v, my fault for not verifying. But I have it all mounted on my bike right now (rear wheel) and I wanted to just try to use them together rather than completely uninstall the 24v, otherwise I don't see me really using it... What about at lower speeds? I'm hoping that it comes in handy in situations where my 48v struggles on its own, like steep hills. Would over-volting the 24v motor help accomplish anything?

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
So I decided to abandon the 24v motor and sprung for two 1000w 48v hub motors for the front and the rear. I watched a tutorial from Micah at Ebike School on how to wire it up. I didn't have the cash to spring for the cycle annalist though, so I will only get regen braking on one motor. Maybe someday! Here are a few pictures so far.

Attachments

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Also, has anyone used the Vruzend e-bike battery kits? I think I'm going to build two 800w 52v batteries out of the LG 2.2a cells. I already have the first one started, here is a picture of the first one still in the process of being built. I've decided to do this project slow and correctly from the start. I have a habit of sometimes rushing the job done to get the bike working, then it's a constant project to get it finished between riding it. I'm very open to any feedback, positive or critical.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Impressive work, I bet it moves out. Ive seen awd Bikes like yours sell for upwards of 10k.
Gee I'm happy with a 36 volt 250 watt front Hub, I guess i. I have poor-"mans all wheel drive when I pedal it and give it throttle. Again... amazing build mbearden

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Impressive work, I bet it moves out. Ive seen awd Bikes like yours sell for upwards of 10k.
Gee I'm happy with a 36 volt 250 watt front Hub, I guess i. I have poor-"mans all wheel drive when I pedal it and give it throttle. Again... amazing build mbearden
Well, to be honest, finished product I have a poor man's awd for now too. I changed things up a bit, for now, and just have the front hub motor on my main bike, and put the rear hub motor on another bike I'm trying to sell or trade for a motorcycle frame (next project is an electric motorcycle) I have the bike set up with regen braking and I don't have to use the front brake at all! Here are some photos of the battery pre-wrap and the bike as is right now. I have my 24v hub motor on the back, but it's not hooked up at all. This will be the next bicycle I come back to to make the all wheel drive system though.

Attachments