Want to build an AWD eBike with 24v and 48v motors?

Discussion in 'DIY Electric Bicycle Hub Motors and Kits' started by mbearden, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mbearden

mbearden Member

Okay, so I'm pretty much an eBike noob. I've built two so far, both with SLA batteries, mostly my expertise is in gas bikes, but I need to widen my knowledge. I'm rebuilding the two motors I have into one bike, an Avalon full suspension 26" bike. I have a 48v front hub motor and a 24v rear hub motor. I have read and watched eBike school's info on building and wiring an AWD bike. I plan to use two different batteries (lithium, not SLA, I'm building my own) but I guess my question is, would I be okay to use one throttle for both even at different voltages? I guess if I only wire my power connections to the 48v, there shouldn't be any way for feedback through the throttle? Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this even something I should attempt? I could wire them totally separate, but I don't really want two different throttles on my bike.

2. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

You sound like me as I grew my business, if there is something new, try it and learn it ;-}

The throttle wires are just 5V and you should not have any probs hooking up two electric hubs.

You are not going to get synchronous power from each wheel however.
    The one with the power will drive, the second, though being powered, will freewheel just wasting power.

3. mbearden

mbearden Member

Exactly!!

So what you're saying is, there really isn't much point in doing it that way? I guess the biggest reason I was going to do it was I got swindled in a trade for one of my gas bikes. I traded a heavily modified 66cc low torque MB for what I was told was a 48v motorized bike. Got it home and it was 24v, my fault for not verifying. But I have it all mounted on my bike right now (rear wheel) and I wanted to just try to use them together rather than completely uninstall the 24v, otherwise I don't see me really using it... What about at lower speeds? I'm hoping that it comes in handy in situations where my 48v struggles on its own, like steep hills. Would over-volting the 24v motor help accomplish anything?