Video Link 1900's Mfr Casting MC Engine and assembly

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
In the beginning of video, I'm not sure of the material they put in the mold. I thought the metal poured into the mold needed a second inner mold section to make the cylinder. The cylinder is still bored out after cooling anyway though. The whole cylinder is rotated and a bore tool on the lathe cuts into it. At the end you see test driving the bikes too!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This is a great vintage video MT, full of good information about how it was done. These guys had skills and vision. Thanks for posting it.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
In the beginning of video, I'm not sure of the material they put in the mold. I thought the metal poured into the mold needed a second inner mold section to make the cylinder. The cylinder is still bored out after cooling anyway though. The whole cylinder is rotated and a bore tool on the lathe cuts into it. At the end you see test driving the bikes too!

Way cool. Thanks!

Reactions: fasteddy

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I tried making a plaster mold for slip clay forming a bowl I cast. The mold did not work as I understand the mold must be lighter and thinner. The reason there is that clay slip (clay with water liquid form) has to release the water to form clay again. The mold has to adsorb it out. The air around the mold if having to thick plaster never removes the water quick enough to release properly. Differing entirely is waste mold casting. It was fun to see bronze casting where our school class went to see a shop doing bronze molds with the waste casting being removed by hammer. Then fine work polishing there after.

Last edited: