Updated pics new wheels and fork

GoldenMotor.com

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
Finally put this bike back together , its been gathering dust in the corner since the local Hwy Patrol told me it was too powerfull for a bicycle , so I got some new wheels , 24x whatever , they are around 35mm wide ,steel double wall, not bad for Aussie wheels , new Thick Brick on the front , and a Kenda on the back , both tyres are sized the same , the Kenda is wider tho , so on the back she went .
Replaced a triple clanp fork with a bent springer that I took approx 2inches out of , just have the brakes to sort out .

Attachments

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Re: Updated pics new wheels and fork new mid drive

Made a few worthwhile changes this week ,I replaced the idler/ chain split with a Sturmey archer three spd hub , its great , get some speed up and you can pedal on top of the engines power , I need to make up a old style suicide shift . I cant recall seeing any examples of this sort of shift for the SA , its got the little chain coming out the axle , need to rig up a few pivots and such .

Attachments

thefruitgnome

Dec 20, 2008
UK
thats very nice! how did you fix the other sproket onto the sturmey archer? I have a couple of old ones and wouldn't mind giving it a go.

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
I used a large rear sprocket from a multi speed cassette ,had to open the centre a bit , best done on a lathe slowly , take the the SA sprocket off and theres a shoulder that is part of the outer hub , I tack welded the sprocket to this and cleaned up the welds , make sure everything turns smoothly and thats it .

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
I made up a nicer exhaust for the bike just the other day , painted it with header paint to get rid of the chrome , the original old bikes I based this bike on really didnt have chrome fittings so Im slowly getting rid of chrome , I will be redoing the pipe in black and this means the headlight too .

Attachments

Millsy

May 16, 2010
Mandurah West Australia
Very nice ride, I like the wheels what sort of tires are you running.
Also what brand of motor did you use and it,s source?
Have often looked at four stroke how do you find it?

Keep up the nice work

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
The motor is a Huasheng with a Grubee 4G drive , its a nice set up ,not sure if they are available in Aus at the moment , I think MBB imports in Sydney are getting new stocks in a mnth or so . Im running a Felt 24x3 Thick Brick on the front and a 24x3 Kenda Flame on the rear .

Last edited:

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Glad you like it , the frame is made up from a bike I made last year , it started out as a Micargi Prado which was their Switchblade type of bike , I kept the oval bottom tube and rear stays , I will make some new rear stays out of round stock , Im redoing a fork right now , Ill post some pics soon.

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Re: Updated pics new springer fork

Finally got the new springer almost finished , still have to make a top plate , but it works pretty good ,tho I reckon I need a heavier pair of springs .
lot of work in this fork ,lots of trial and error , all done with a mig and grinder .and a drill. and the tube bender .....

Attachments

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks very much SB , Im very pleased with how this bike has turned out ,its helped me work out a lot of stuff I will use in future for the motorcycles I have always wanted to build .
Heres a few more shots of work I did today , I included some smaller diameter coils inside the lower pair ,the smaller pair have a stiffer rate and they have fixed the too soft action that I may have mentioned , still have to tidy up a few dags and hope to get the top clamp done tomorrow .

Attachments