Unleaded

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sharing this (link at bottom) here because of a fun little game I like to play. Now, most of us know that, even though many stations make a reference to their gas being "unleaded", there hasn't been lead in auto gasoline since the 1980s. Some of us are old enough to *remember* leaded gas. But there are still a few people who didn't get the memo about lead being removed.
So this is the game I play. Many local stations here in Indy, mostly the Speedways, have "Regular, Plus, & Premium". But most clerks refer to the Regular octane as "Unleaded". Now, I usually play the game if I see a trucker or professional driver of some kind there in the station at the same time. It's more fun if they can hear it.
In the most recent game, which is how they usually go, I walk in to prepay. - I tell them "I just need $20 on pump 3".
- Clerk asks "You just want unleaded?" (She means 'regular'.)
- I say to her "Well, they're *all* unleaded these days, aren't they?"
- Clerk replies "No, not all of them."
- I say "Really? So the other two kinds have lead in them?"
- Clerk replies "Yes, they each have a higher octane, you know."
- I say "Ah, so the octane is the lead? And only the 'Regular' octane has no lead in it?
- Clerk says "I believe so." (She has either been mislead, or has no clue.)
- I tell her "Well, my van does fine without the lead, so I'll just have the 'Regular*", putting a very tiny bit of emphasis on the word 'Regular'
- Clerk says "The Unleaded?"
- I answer "Right."
Any trucker in the know, or experienced chauffeur or cabby, waiting in the line is usually looking at the floor and biting their tongue. I do it for them.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jamie-lincoln-kitman/tobacco-there-was-leaded-gas

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yep, some surprising stuff. DDT was shown being sprayed on to kids playing on the beach from a truck as it rode down the beach. It had signs boasting how it made it safer from mosquitoes or something like this. I would post the picture from the magazine but don't want to infringe. It was titled ill wind from the past. The National Geographic Magazine had this showing from an old photo, I guess 40's era. I recognized the Long Island Beach structure from Jones Beach.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
It's also amazing how people think that the higher octane fuels are better for engines. It's like they think it's the difference between Johnny Walker blue and PBR. The octane rating is simply the resistance to detonation. In fact, if your car can safely run on regular, it's detrimental to the engine to run "premium". It takes more energy to combust than "regular", resulting in a less complete burn and higher amount of soot deposits.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Many years ago, Britain went from selling petrol in gallons to litres. I was filling my bike up and this bloke at the next pump asked how you convert from litres to gallons. I asked how many he wanted. He answered, "£10 worth."

And then he looked at me, and spoke, "I just said that, didn't I? I just said that!"

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Many years ago, Britain went from selling petrol in gallons to litres. I was filling my bike up and this bloke at the next pump asked how you convert from litres to gallons. I asked how many he wanted. He answered, "£10 worth."

And then he looked at me, and spoke, "I just said that, didn't I? I just said that!"
That switch was in the mid 1980's I believe. I was traveling a lot then, and recall that the pound was 1.25 USD back then.

The sad part is, in 1983 gasoline here was $1.00 per gallon. $12.50 was too much gasoline to put in my 1967 VW even if it was completely empty. A fill up on the bike was $2 - and you bought a candy bar with the change.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We've always paid far more tax on fuels than you have, he might have had 4 of 5 Imp gallons for that.