Two Gas Tanks At Once?

GoldenMotor.com

beardcaller

Dec 12, 2008
St. Mary's City, MD
I have been searching around for a while and i cant seem to find a concrete answer. I have a 1/2 gallon tank and I always worry that i will run out of fuel, and i have seen people make gas tanks out of pvc that are mounted under the seat. so the question is is there a way to hook both of those up at once or will it require switching gas lines?
Thanks,
Corey

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have been searching around for a while and i cant seem to find a concrete answer. I have a 1/2 gallon tank and I always worry that i will run out of fuel, and i have seen people make gas tanks out of pvc that are mounted under the seat. so the question is is there a way to hook both of those up at once or will it require switching gas lines?
Thanks,
Corey
You might be interested in mine.

Here's a thread about making them.

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/custom-fuel-tank-made-camp-fuel-27428.html

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Maybe you can see in this picture. The 2 bottles are teed together and the fuel line goes to the carb. Both bottles have their own petcock.

Last edited:

beardcaller

Dec 12, 2008
St. Mary's City, MD
did you change the picture or am i going completely nuts? because this picture is totally clear. I assumed it would be something like this. I was gonna try it the way we do gas lines in my research lab but this seems much more secure.

beardcaller

Dec 12, 2008
St. Mary's City, MD
You reading comprehension is about as bad as mine. I guess that's why we're motor heads instead of brain surgeons lol.

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/custom-fuel-tank-made-camp-fuel-27428.html
Yeah I meant the joining of the two fuel lines at the T, i didn't see that mentioned in your linked post. But thanks for the explanation none the less, its been extremely helpful. I also appreciate the detail in your pictures and instructions, that sort of thing is sometimes lacking in other peoples posts.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah I meant the joining of the two fuel lines at the T, i didn't see that mentioned in your linked post. But thanks for the explanation none the less, its been extremely helpful. I also appreciate the detail in your pictures and instructions, that sort of thing is sometimes lacking in other peoples posts.
No problem. I'm happy to answer any questions.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well it can be done. Ive experimented with two tanks on one of my bikes which was a norco bush pilot. I had a 2.5 litre main tank and a 990 mililiter reserve emergancy tank mounted just under the seat which increased my range an extra 20 k.m. I have a few pics of it here. Each tank had it's own seperate shut off fuel valve and the rear tank had a inline fuel filter on it because it didn't have a built in one where the line attached to.The rear tank was off of a lawn mower that was being throwen out in the garbage and it's made out of plastic.Luckly it still had it's fuel cap still on it when i recovered it.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You could just carry a full fuel bottle around either on a rear rack, or in a bottle cage, and refill your tank on long rides. that would be a lot easier.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
You could just carry a full fuel bottle around either on a rear rack, or in a bottle cage, and refill your tank on long rides. that would be a lot easier.
laff Your so right man....I think the pic of the bike with the Black plastic tank hooked to his seat has to leak out the cap and splash up on his ass....
John

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
please no negetive comments.by the way that gas cap on my tank dosn't leak and i'd like to see if you could do the same with your bike for long range touring. with that bike i traveled on average of 100 miles round tripping on some of my day trips ,so if you can do better then do so, but if you can't say any thing nice don't say any thing at all.

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
please no negetive comments.by the way that gas cap on my tank dosn't leak and i'd like to see if you could do the same with your bike for long range touring. with that bike i traveled on average of 100 miles round tripping on some of my day trips ,so if you can do better then do so, but if you can't say any thing nice don't say any thing at all.

xct2 cflg
Sorry if i offended you,just having a little fun....I have had gas tanks on the back and being near the back tire the bouncing causes the gas to splash around in the tank alot more....Ive just never mounted one so close up on the seat like that and would be a little nervous about the cap starting to leak without warning....It looks good on your bike and you did a good job....
John

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You could always replace your Happy Time 2-liter fuel tank with a HT 4-liter tank. The large tank would double your fuel capacity and use the same petcock and fuel line.
That's what I use on my bikedance1 projects.