Twisting the trottle but no power and cannot idle.

GoldenMotor.com

AlysianAngel

Jul 22, 2008
So I just installed a 66cc engine on my bike and for the past two days i have been tweeking and turning trying to figure out the problem.

One thing for sure is a good way to troubleshoot a bike when you try to rev and there is no power.
1. Definitely check all the nuts and bolts in your carb, intake manifold, spark plug (i noticed that there is oil spewing out of my spark plug, also make sure you clean it when it gets too dirty)
2. Make sure there is gas in the line, i noticed because of the placement of my gas line i have trouble having sufficient gas. Pinch the gas line to get the air out if necessary.
3. Check your electrical wires...

Right now i just have an issue with getting my bike to idle. I think i have to get the idle screw just right. Reading the forums here, i noticed there is an issue with the pin. This could be the problem, but on the other hand, it might not be.

I would let go of my clutch, start the motor, pull on the clutch again, but by that time the engine dies on me before i could get it to idle. Do anyone have this problem? If so, is there a solution to this. Thanks

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Turn the idle screw in a couple of rounds before you start the engine. If that doesn't get it holler back........................

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Angel there should never be oil coming out of your spark plug! It's loose very loose! You will strip the threads in it in no time. Very low compression will make it not run properly. Unless I mis read your post thats going to be your problem.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, I'd throw the factory plug where all bad things go and buy a new NGK B5HS or autolite 425.

What color is your plug?

AlysianAngel

Jul 22, 2008
Okay i tried turning the idle screw all the way in and then twisting it out 2 - 2.5 turns. It seem to made my engine start a little bit better.

Having the choke open all the way doesn't work well at all with my engine. Having it closed all the way actually made it work a lot better.

I'm planning on getting a new spark plug on thurs...i'll write back and let you guys know how it went. The oil that is spitting out of my spark plus is black and oily, just like my tailpipe.

Thank you for all your help...i really appreciate this =)

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
• Bypass the kill switch, direct wire the magneto to the CDI to test. Blue to blue etc...
• vacume leak seal from carb to intake.
• make sure you Have the slide In the Carb positioned Correctly.
• check that your Cable Adjustment going into the top of your carburetor is Correct.
• brass sleeve that the throttle cable hooks to is in the carb the wrong way.
• drill a tiny (pin size) hole in the top of gas cap to releave vacume pressure to tank.
• float bowl not filling up enough to supply gas
• piece of debris that is getting caught in the float needle?

Last edited:

AlysianAngel

Jul 22, 2008
the kill switch that came with my kit is a piece of junk, i need to replace that too...when i press on my kill switch i doesn't do anything....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
do you know if the kill switch is at fault check it with a meter you might not have it hooked up right. one of the guys said to drill the gas cap I've yet to find a cap that seals and don't leak fuel around it if you fill it clear up so that would be at the bottom of the list of things to do. you say you have to have the choke on to keep it running? if you have a mic or dial caliplier make sure the needle is tapered top by the grooves should be around 0.070 and down at the tip about 0.065 the main jet stock should be about 0.026thousands to check this you will need to get a wire drill bitthe measurement in metric is 0.065mm.
clip on the needle stock is second groove down form the top.
leaking sparkplug gasket its best to toss the leaker and get a new plug gap it at 0.017 to 0.025.

Last edited:

AlysianAngel

Jul 22, 2008
Either i am going to toss the kill switch out the window and get a new one...or i could test the kill switch, by using the techniques recommended on this site. I haven't really decided what to do yet, i might fiddle with the switch a little more before i give up on it.

I was wondering if the needle in my carb is defective. I'm going to go and see if i could borrow my friends calipers for a few seconds to measure that, i will write back and let you know.

Most likely i would be getting a new spark plug anyways but the kit came with a 2nd spark plug i guess i can ruin that today before i get a good one tomorrow.

I will write back tomorrow when i test out the recommendations here and let everyone know how it went. THanks again!

Angel