Tuneomania - Do You Have It?

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Tuneomania is characterized by the repetitive fiddling with one's engine resulting in noticeable power loss. Patients typically experience an increasing sense of tension immediately before fiddling with the engine or when attempting to resist the behavior. Pleasure, gratification or relief is felt upon fiddling.

Researchers at our Institute hypothesize that two forms of Tuneomania may exist. Individuals who experience tension before fiddling and gratification upon fiddling may have a form of Tuneomania thought to be a type of obsessive compulsive spectrum disorder. For others who experience no awareness or pleasure, engine fiddling may be a habit. Further research will help clarify these issues.

The "obsessive-compulsive spectrum" refers to a series of major psychiatric conditions defined by the presence of obsessions and compulsions. Obsessions are intrusive ideas, thoughts, or images that cause much anxiety and distress. Compulsions are repetitive behaviors or mental acts performed to reduce the anxiety produced by obsessions. You may have one without the other.

The current psychiatric diagnostic manual (DSM-IV) provides the following definitions:

Recurrent engine adjustments resulting in noticeable power loss.

An increasing sense of tension immediately before engine fiddling or when attempting to resist the behavior.

Pleasure, gratification, or relief when making unnecessary adjustments.

The disturbance is not better accounted for by another mental disorder and is not due to a general medical condition.

The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Conclusion -

I hope to have shed some light on this affliction and encourage those who suffer in silence to seek help from professional resources.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is a perfect description of someone I know, and it has, in all seriousness, resulted in the terminal ending of a lifelong friendship with a 3rd party. I repeat, I am not joking.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that Ludwig. Sounds like it was a very advanced case. And I hope that "terminal" didn't mean a murder took place.

When I catch myself in this behavior I chant the words of a wise old man who said "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". Most of the time this helps.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Chaz, I actually did a quick search to see if that was a real thing. Not kidding.

If there's one thing I have learned about disorders, it's that there's such a broad spectrum of them that we are all considered to have a form of several. Whether it's autism (which I have a nephew who is nearly uncontrollable, think of the scene in rain man when things got out of hand) or obsessive compulsive disorder, we are all somewhere on that line. For some people (and I'm guilty as anyone) tinkering is a tick. It's an itch that doesn't get scratched for hours while I stand around watching my wife shop and ideas are soaring through my head of what I can do next. It's why I have 3 bike projects, a Jeep project, an Rx7 project, another car I'm painting, a boat I'm rewiring, and several house projects. I can't stop fiddling with things. It consumes me while I'm not working. I have never once claimed any form of autism, add, adhd, or ocd. I operate and work on nuclear reactors, so I must be able to focus somehow.

But yep. I think you have nailed it!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Agreen, you are so right. We all fall into some degree of "disorder". And we are all tinkerers here, you wouldn't last long or enjoy the hobby if we weren't. It sounds to me that you just like to keep busy, and have the kind of mind that enjoys the challenge to improve things. Sounds a lot like me. I just had a funny idea and wanted to share it for a laugh.