Took my wheel in to get trued and found a surprise

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Josh380, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Josh380

Josh380 New Member

I found out that at least 8 spokes are broken, and possibly even more. They guy at the bike shop said it's common with our particular kind of sprocket mounts. I need to find a 26" wheel with thicker spokes. I kinda figure there's no point to putting new spokes on it if they're just gonna break again...any suggestions?

2. Large Filipino

I've only had one wheel actually break spokes and that was my 32 spoke wheel that never lined up right with the sprocket. Then every wheel after that was a 36 spoke lines up much better but the Huffy wheels would bend. So after about 4 wheels MOOP and Cronus combined I gave Cronus a wheelman wheel. This puppy has motorcycle spokes but it's $$$. But man. No more worries.
    And incidentally on MOOP2 it's the original wheel but the bike is a made in USA Huffy built around the 70's.
    These rag sprockets don't need to be tightened really hard. Just tightened enough so that the lock washers are doing their job at keeping the nuts from loosening. That's all it needs.
    Even on MOOP2 I use standard 1/4 inch machine bolts with a phillips head to clear my coaster. Yes. 1/4 inch bolts standard 1/4 inch nuts with washer and lock washer. And it holds quite well.

Attached Files:

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Fosho'! I have never broken a spoke (yet). One bike I sold, the guy broke A spoke, but he liked to beat up on the bike pretty bad, and he was rather large.

4. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

5. philymitch

philymitch New Member

Also Weinmann makes a wheel with 12 gauge spokes. I found my rim at the local bike shop.
    I went through 3 wheels in two months the fourth was the Weinmann and it is the strongest wheel
    I have ever had. One more thing that might is i think they call the spokes s/s spokes for super size spokes. I have surched all over the net to find it but this is as close as I can come to it. It is only a 20in

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10096/

I would call some bike shops they can order it for you but call and do some pricing first. My wheel cost around $60

dnut

6. Josh380

Josh380 New Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link!

7. grouchyolfart

grouchyolfart New Member

Husky, looks like a great resource for parts. Thanks.

Also, price around. That bike shop should be able to swap out the older spokes for thicker ones. Mine said they could, but check the pricing. Might just be cheaper to buy a whole new wheel.

8. Josh380

Josh380 New Member

I asked the bike guy if I could get thicker spokes for the wheel and he said no. They'd probably have to redrill the hub holes and redrill and re-tap the wheel holes. Probably better off getting a new one.

9. Large Filipino

That's actually pretty nice!

10. tylerlough

tylerlough New Member

After I broke 2 spokes and bent the rest on the sprocket side I decided to replace all the spokes with quality stainless steel spokes from DT Swiss. They're the same thickness as stock but much stronger. How much stronger, I'm not sure? That sprocket adapter from Jim @ Creative Engineering looks cool and it's custom made to find your hub.
    I'm a little guy at 130lbs so your results may very.

11. MB-Monkey

MB-Monkey New Member

all you need is an accurate measurement of your hub and MM will cut a clam shell for your application.