Titan Recumbent Yes !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA
cool thanks it doesn't have any suspension I hardtailed my sportster so I certainly don't need shocks on my bicycle. I might order a Titan when I can spare some cash. First I have to get a bicycle to fit the motor you already sent. Every bike here is either to small for the motor or to big for my daughter (which is what I expected when I ordered it) I'm looking at either a Micargi jaos beach cruiser 20 or ordering a Stingray style frame and building a custom around it. The Macargi looks like a good fit for the 2 stoke motor but I don't know anything about the brand never heard of them don't know if they are any good. Maybe I'll post a question and found out if anybody has tried one.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I was able to move my setup back about an inch and then lower it 4inches or so. It has made it really nice for sure. I notice that having my jackshaft to the rear causes some flex in the plate under hard acceleration.. I can feel it bounce a little around 13mph under hard throttle. Not sure just anyone would notice this. But I do. At about 16mph is goes away. When I run the Jack shaft in the same position as the Support brackets, there is no flex. Only when you run the JS at the rear. I may come up with a way to stiffen the plate for those that want to fun the JS at the rear most point. But.. I was able to ride around 20 miles or so this after noon. A pure joy. The weather will be closer to 60 tomorrow. You can bet I will be riding again tomorrow. Enjoy the ride. !!! Titan Rules !!!

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes... I agree.. And when it comes to Distance, Titan 4 strokes rule. Quiet and smooth. And coupled with this recumbent, Well... It does not get any better for sure.. Enjoy the ride.....:)

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
It does look like it may take a few minutes to get used to but overall what a tight set up!
Man. That thing's ready for the long haul!
Ok..She is done !! It runs fantastic ! Took me about 3 hours for most of the work. Then took me another 2 hours just to make the dog gone Throttle cable. A long one. 105 incher. Custom made. Lubed it up well. Snaps back as it should. This baby is smooth and fast. Very comfortable. I can ride all day. The fact that the Titan has the exhaust pointed out the rear makes for a nice quiet ride. As you can see in the one pic, I have a rear off set on my plate. I had to go to Home Despot and get 4 carriage bolts to make this happen. Doing a rear off set moves the motor back. I had to drill some holes in my T bracket. I had to adapt. If I could have moved the plate back another half inch, it would have cleared my tail section of my frame and would have allowed me to drop the whole setup down 3 inches more or so. I may still look into what it will take to do that. But for now..It is great.. Handling is good. Long wheel base makes for great stability at speed. I need a fairing. When the sun drops behind the mountains, instant cold !! I need a faring. As you can see in the pics, she is a beauty. Almost like this bike is made for Titan. A simple install really. IT fits great !! The 36T is a great match for the 20 inch rear wheel. I may be able to go down to a 32T and still be ok. But the 36T seems to be the ticket. I do not have an odo yet, but I would guess it tops out at 26mph or so. Power is good. Really takes off good and fast. I bought some Bontrager Fenders or what ever they are called.. They are for 26 inch wheels. cost 15 bucks. I am too cheap to buy the EZ-1 fender kit. Not sure what that would cost but I am pretty sure they would cost more than 15 bucks.. I trimmed them with scissors and they work great !! I can fly through the slush and water and not a drop hits me anywhere. Since the Crank is just above the fender, I get no water on my shoes or pant leg as I do on a non recumbent bike. Kill switch is hooked up, Everything is done except a Headlight, Tail light, and Speedo, and Thorn proof tubes with liners front and rear. So..I do have some work left. This EZ-1 is a winner. I really feel it is a 400 dollar bike if mass produced. Right now they sell new for 600-700 depends on the bike shop. If more people bought them, they would come down some in price. IT is a great choice for a Recumbent. IT is a great bike. The handling only takes 5-10 mins to get used to. The comfort is instant. Enjoy the pics..And..Enjoy the ride !!!

Wow!
I had a chance when i was building my first bike last year to pick up a recumbent trike at my local pawn shop but like any other pawshop they wanted way to much and were not willing to go less then $400. I ended up buying a traditional Trek MNT Bike frame and the rest was history.

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Put another 40 miles on my Titan Recumbent. I love that ride !! I picked up a Bike E Recumbent at a local thrift store yesterday for 59 bucks !!! No kidding.. It looks like it will be a little harder to fit a Titan on that Bike E. But I think I can do it. The EZ recumbent is the ideal choice for a Titan Mount.. But.. I am sure I can make some mods and get it to work on the Bike E . I will post some pictures of it when finished.. Enjoy the ride.. I know I sure do.. 70 degrees tomorrow.. 75 by Thursday.. Yes !!!!

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Was over at Duane's today! Checked out his new find and rode the recumbent! Sorry no video and only took one pic.
I had to get used to riding it at first I kept leaning too far to the right against the road crown it was strange but once I did man was it smooth. And Duane rode the Buggy Bike and we cruised the neighborhood.
Today was cool. These past two weeks were pretty rough with my wife's mom passing away and all the family drama that follows,but today was a real highlight.
Thanks Duane! YOU RULE!!

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hey Roach.. I finished my Bike E with Titan. Check it out in the other thread. Also.. I posted some pictures of my Bike E with faring in the Pictures and video section. It really turned out super !! It is my best ride so far ! It is just super !! I would have bought a Bike E sooner except they are so expensive. I was lucky to find one for 59 bucks. That is what made it happen for me. also.. My Bike E has the shorter back rest for the seat. Do you know where I can get a taller back rest for my Bike E ? Let me know. Thanks.. And... Enjoy the ride.....

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
Not sure about the backrest, Bike E has been out of buisness for a long while. I would try a call to Rob Gentry at Recumbent Bike Riders in State College, Pa the shop number is 814-234-4636. My understanding is RBR is one of the largest recumbent retail suppliers in the country and I know he used to be a dealer for Bike E. I didn't know Bike E had short backrests mine is tall but I noticed several other differences between your bike and mine I think yours is an older model.

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
Dax, I forgot to mention I found the perfect frame for the first motor. It's a Schwinn Peloton from the mid 80's a high end racing bike and it only cost me $42 all checked for alignment and with a new headset. It will fit all the components from my old Trek but it's only 47cm so it will fit my daughter (it's unusual to find a road frame that small). Josie insists her bike has to be blue so I striped the red paint only to find the forks were chrome under the paint cool bonus. Now it's just waiting for the coat of blue so I can get started building.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Thanks Roach.. I put in a call to Rob.. Left Message. He has odd hours of operation. Must be the time of year.. Winter Hours kind of thing.. Anyway.. I hope he gets back to me and can find a higher back rest for me. The one I have now is ok.. But a taller one would be the greatest. I have seen other Bike E's that have the same size short back rest as mine. So.. I am not the only one. I would prefer a taller one like the one on my Sun EZ-1. That one is nice and tall and is a dream. I would love this for my Bike E. I appreciate the contact info Roach. Thanks much.. Enjoy the ride.....

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Hello Dax.. I read well rather skimmed through these posts..

That's unbelievable!! How absurd in a good way. Fate or god.. you choose..
Where did you get that kit that attaches to the Titan. I hear good things about the Titan and am interested in maybe making a recumbent this summer. Last year I tried to make a home made one but I think one needs two people to pull that off with any success. I like the chain drive and might give it a chance. Are those regular bike chains used? I think you sell stuff and will keep you in mind for a nice set up.

That is a total TS score!

*****Update*********

I just scanned through your website.. "Titan CarrierKit. " Is the correct kit you used on this nice bike.

Can it be used with the Honda 50? Also where does one aquire a gearbox from? Thanks!

Last edited:

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
OK new question.. Do you like the Bike E or this one better for long hauls? This one looks cooler but I am sure they both beat the heck out of regular hunchback bikes? I like the style of this one but the kit requires less for the Bike E I believe?

Thanks.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. As for using a Honda motor, Well.. Anything is possible but.. With that said.. I do not think it is cost feasible to use the Honda. There are many things that need to happen to make a Honda work and it all adds up to cost. IT would make the honda many times more expensive and in the end, not as good. Everything that comes with the Titan kit is what I used to mount to my Bike E. It was an easy mount as was my Sun EZ-1 was also an easy mount. The only thing additional I added or changed from the Stock Titan kit was that I used a 36T, and added an additional torque strap. One is all that is needed, but the use of an additional torque strap made the whole setup much stiffer which I really like. As for drive chains.. You can use Bicycle chains. I great quality BMX chain is the ticket. They are expensive chains but will improve already great performance ! The kit comes with the Super Duty 415 chain which is a good chain and very reliable. A Good quality BMX chain would be much lighter and provide a performance boost to be sure.. Thanks.. And.. Enjoy the ride...

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thanks.. If I score a bike like this I will keep the kit in mind! The ooozing of the poor economy is like molasses rain starting to fall.

Take care. Hopefully I can pick one up for summer

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
From what I know,, the Economy is Booming in Louisiana. IT actually grew in that state last quarter. So.. things are not oozing and bleeding everywhere. It seems like it is most places.. But not in that state. Should we all move to La? Seems to be the place right now... And yes.. The Recumbent s or bents are the bikes to have for hard smooth surfaces where standing up on the pedals is not required. They are far more comfortable for cruising for sure. You have to adjust to the handling since all the bents I have ridden have a long wheel base. Very long. The faster you go the more stable they are. Typically.. Also.. The Bents that I prefer are those with a more up right and typical riding height and steering such as the SUN, Bike E, and Burley. You can see and been seen. Some of the Bents and most of the bent trikes are low, close to the ground, and hard to see. For those bent bikes, I would suggest a red flag or 2 . So you can be noticed. I do not care for the low profile bents. My fear of not being seen would take the fun out of the ride for me. Heck.. Even up right and as high as cars or even higher, still, some car drivers do not see me. I have to pull up and tap on their hoods to let them know I am there. Some cars just do not look for bicycles at all. Always ride as though car drivers do not see you. Play it safe.. Ride safe.. And.. Enjoy the ride....

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Heck.. I ride as though they all want to kill me. I cross the street and shoot down alleys.. Zig zag here and there. I guess they just pulled 1500 or 15000 troops off the streets of New Orleans.. There goes the drinking districts...

Thanks Dax.. I will save my rubles for a recumbent.. Hope to get one someday. That would spare the back a bit I bet. No zigging and zagging on one of those here in NWI might be asking for trouble. I might try and weld my own together. I have seen photos.. I suppose if I bought a real one I might be able to make a replica of sorts with just parts and my stick welder. That way I can motorize it and it looks like homemade junk at the same time! Will hit that bump this summer perhaps.

Take care. I will post pix in the spring. It is still 10-30 degrees out there. 45 in here.