Tires & tubes Constant Failures

GoldenMotor.com

wolverine

Jul 29, 2008
Ok , I'm new to the motorized bicycle world. Just put one together. Problem is I keep blowing rear tubes. I'll give a little info. My weight is 220 I'm 6'2. Using a 26 x1.75 tire for clearance of chain. Aired tires to specs on sidewall of tire 40lbs psi. Had three blowouts all within 2miles. Got tired of this and put in airless tubes. They feel horrible,like they a squirming on the rim constantly. So what is a very durable tube and tire combo that I can use to enjoy riding instead of pushing a bike with a flat every time I go out for a ride. Are there higher pressure combos that will fit on a Shwinn Cruiser type rim. Thanks
in advance for your input.Sure would like to enjoy this ride a little before summer goes by.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
do you have a I call it a rim protector in place? Its made of rubber and goes around the rim. In case you don't and even if you do a couple of wraps of electrician's tape around the rim will help to keep the tube from getting poked by the spoke nipples. Check the rim for sharp spoke nipples by running a fine cloth aka pantie hoses around the rim to check for snags if you find one sand or file it smooth. when you install the tire and tube on the rim make darn sure your not pinching the tube at the valve stem get the tire on the rim and then push the valve stem almost into the rim and then gently pull the stem back enough so you can air it up inflate then let the air out then inflate it again this will help to get the kinks and twists out of the tube baby powder the inside of the tire and tube to slick it up before mounting will help.
There's some things you can try. I inflate my tires to the max which on my bikes is 60 psig.
Norman

Lightfoot

Jul 3, 2008
Moab, Utah
Do the tubes have holes in them, or long slashes after the blowout?
If they are slashed you probably arent getting the tire bead seated on the rim.

When I replace a tube I usually get the tire seated well then add just enough air that the tire holds it's shape then lightly bounce the wheel on the ground working my way around the entire circumference to make sure it's good and seated before inflating it all the way.

Also around here we have those darned goathead thorns they break off leaving no sign that they are there, you have to feel around the inside of the tire for the things or you'll get a flat in the same spot again.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I had the exact same problem. I would buy the heavy duty tubes, slime tubes, everything kept going flat. I finally changed the tire and haven't had another flat on that bike. I could find nothing wrong with the old tire, but it worked and I guess that is what matters....................................

wolverine

Jul 29, 2008
I took Normans advise, I got some heavy duty tubes,set of Michelin Road Rock tires and then wrapped the inside of rim with tape. Put baby powder on inside of tires and rubbed down tubes with powder. Mounted to rims and pressurised ,then let out air and worked valve stem up and down . Then reapplied pressure to 20psi and rolled tire to seat in rim,then pumped it up to 70psi. Also put slime in tubes before final airing. Have had no problems since.Thanks to everyone for the information.:bike2: