Time for 4 cycle 49cc electric start

GoldenMotor.com

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
I am on my 3rd and 4th pullstarters for my Ezemotor build of two years. It is like the finest car on the road for reliability, but I am really sick of the pull starts all of a sudden not recoiling no matter what I do. It is now the shortest part lifetime on my bike, almost compared to filling the gas tank. Has anyone had any luck successfully switching to an electric start like you see on some smaller moped engines? Thanks for whatever. Bill of Mainiac Motors:-||:-||:-||

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
Thanks, that is a good idea. I guess that you just wrap the rope around itself and as you pull it, it just comes loose in your hand. Why didn't I think of a typically empirical Chinese way to do things with my Chinese engine????usflg

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You will need something with a rope notch bolted to the flywheel or crank for traditional pull starting.

You can sometimes notch a flywheel fin for a rope as well. Depends on the engine.
The best thing about this type of starting is it won't break as long as you have rope and can tie a knot. I used to carry several ropes with handles tied to the frame of my minibike when we went out tearing around. ALWAYS had a use for another rope....

Last edited:

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
Thanks for more clarification and the picture. My Dad's rotatiller way back in the 50's was started that way. I just have to examine carefully the attachment points and ensure that I have symmetrical slots to maintain balance at the high RPM (where I live on my ride).

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
I assume that you have a Huasheng engine?

Is so, you might consider buying a complete Honda GXH50 starter assembly to replace the Chinese one.

And then it wouldn't hurt to install a GXH50 cam with its compression release too...

Last edited:

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
Thanks for the info. I would assume that the starter assembly will fit the Huasheng? I don't know how to get the Honda parts for that style of 49cc engine. I would appreciate any sources you know of. I probably would hose the cam replacement. I tried to rebuild a 2 cycle with new rings and I couldn't even do a simple job of getting the rings inside the cylinder. I can't imagine what a mess I would make of a cam replacement. The engine has worked perfectly, but I definately am interested in a better designed starter rope assembly than what I have had to replace twice.

Regards,
Bill Ragland
Mainiac Motors.shft.

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
You can currently buy a genuine complete Honda GXH50 starter assembly on eBay for $36 shipped (item # 261066579528). It is a straight bolt on to the Hausheng.

As to my comment regarding replacing the cam with a Honda part with compression release:
As it requires compete engine disassembly to install, it is not worth the effort unless you are already taking the engine apart for other reasons. Its benefit is that it reduces the pull force required - as well as kick back - when starting. I agree, don't touch it.

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
I just remembered another better AND cheaper source:

boats.net has the same starter assembly for $22.36 - plus $5.95 shipping for up to a $60 total order.

Search their site for part # 28400-ZM7-V31

I have ordered many parts from boats.net and have been totally satisfied with their service in every way. They are a GREAT source for genuine small Honda engine parts.

Edit:
You also might want to purchase the part that is bolted to the flywheel that the starter engages, part # 28451-ZM7-003
Their price is $5.64 - no additional shipping.

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
You can currently buy a genuine complete Honda GXH50 starter assembly on eBay for $36 shipped (item # 261066579528). It is a straight bolt on to the Hausheng.
I had always heard that the pull starter assembly on the Honda was the same one as the Huasheng . I have a Predator engine now but when I had the Huasheng I always kept a spare pull starter in the garage. I went through 4 of them.

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
I had always heard that the pull starter assembly on the Honda was the same one as the Huasheng . I have a Predator engine now but when I had the Huasheng I always kept a spare pull starter in the garage. I went through 4 of them.
That's like saying that the Huasheng 142F is "the same" as the Honda GXH50.

The Huasheng is a copy of the Honda, and if you compare the two side by side, you can easily see that the Huasheng has cut many corners in regards to fit and finish. I have no doubt that the same goes for materials and internals as well. I know that the Huasheng eliminated the starting compression release - and who knows what else.

Now if you had said that you have had experience with BOTH the Honda and Huasheng starter assemblies, and that both had had about the same lifespan and failure mode, that would be something interesting.

For the money the Huasheng seems to be better value than the Honda, but if something on the Huasheng just isn't holding up, my first inclination would be to switch to a Honda part and see how well that does.

From both the OP's and your experience, the original Huasheng pull starter is a very weak part. So for such little expense, why not give the Honda starter a try?

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
I just remembered another better AND cheaper source:

boats.net has the same starter assembly for $22.36 - plus $5.95 shipping for up to a $60 total order.

Search their site for part # 28400-ZM7-V31

I have ordered many parts from boats.net and have been totally satisfied with their service in every way. They are a GREAT source for genuine small Honda engine parts.

Edit:
You also might want to purchase the part that is bolted to the flywheel that the starter engages, part # 28451-ZM7-003
Their price is $5.64 - no additional shipping.

Gonna bookmark this - when my HS pullstarter inevitably fails, I'll know what to replace it with!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think I've broken 1 pull starter on one of my HS 49cc engines and that was due to the knot slipping through the grip handle making the spring implode inside the housing, so to speak. I've got 3 of these HS engines with over 25,000mi. all told so I can't quite see how you're going through so many when it should only take a pull or two to start them.

If you see the pull starter rope start to fray or ready to break from heavy usage, pull the assembly apart before it does and replace it. That could save you having to replace the whole pull starter assembly which is a lot more costly.

I have blown a starter on my HF 212cc engine, but that's another story;)

I don't think you'll find (or really need) an electric starter for this tiny engine.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I have experience with both the GXH50 and the Huasheng pullstarter. They really aren't any different from each other.

I think Honda has China make their pullstarter in the first place.
That's what I thought Ale but silvaire says I don't know what I'm talking about LOL

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I'm thinking there is some defect in your mechanism. I would look for something binding or a sharp edge somewhere catching your rope. There is so little stress on these little engines that the rope should outlast your rings. I've had my Huasheng for 6 years and probably have 2-3000 miles on it. It starts 1st or second pull and still looks like new. Replacing the rope is treating a symptom, not solving the problem.