Third build, first post, Genesis GX7 (Astra) with SBP Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

XxxHookedxxX

Mar 7, 2017
Delaware
I like the 4 stroke one very reliable. It starts one pull every time. No trouble out of it yet been riding all winter 50 mile a week since 8-6-16.

Just got this two stroke as a back up. On the 6th tank gas. Break in about done. I guss it's ok for just stock parts. It does about 30 maybe. Just don't like the take off and bogs down more with wind.
Going to get jack shaft on one of them not sure yet witch. Ill see how this 2 stroke holds up maybe.

Was going to do electric build build but was not sure how it would handle riding in 25 degrees out side.

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
The shift kit is awesome for versatility, but I find that when I'm in higher gears, I'm a lot more susceptible to the wind slowing me down. I'd love to get a dynamo hub so I can charge devices or use it for an assist when I need it, just be cool to have a hybrid gas/electric bike!

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i did a gx7 for the wife, but i didn't go for the jackshaft.
this is an old pic, it has changed quite a bit since this was taken last summer.
i see you hated those factory brakes too...

Attachments

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Yeah, the factory brakes were junk. I still have the factory brake on the rear but it has upgraded pads, still needs to be changed though... Be careful if you leave those fenders on there. Both my front and rear came apart already. It looks nice for sure! Did you guys have any trouble with the rear sprocket at all with the added spokes? That was part of the reason I went with the shift kit on this bike too. The GX7 is just a good looking bike in general! My orange huffy cracked the frame after about 9 months or so, has anyone had any trouble with the GX7 frame at all?

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
no problems with the sprocket at all, lined right up. i was suspicious of the fenders from the start, after being suggested here on this site, i reinforced them both.

even though it was never intended to be off-road, we have had it out on the hatfield mccoy trails several times without problems. it seems to be a very solid frame.

i went with the 56t instead of the shifter, everything here is up a steep hill, usually more than one of them. lots of low end torque is an absolute requirement here.

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Bikesnipe, what I did was replaced the front fork with a suspension fork that had a disk brake, and put kool-stop pads on the rear. But you're right, the stock brakes are junk. I'm still considering a disc brake for the rear since I have the shift kit, but it might require some welding. The gx7 has actually been sitting for the last month while I rebuilt the motor, plus my 11yo son and I are working on building a 48v electric trike out of the schwinn meridian. Hope that helps, wish I had a better answer for you, but that was also the first thing I noticed when I got the gx7.

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
Agreed Leo, I was able to take my dual brake lever off my first build and use it on this one. I got the GX7 all put back together last week (vacation) but it still won't fire up. Looks like I get to ride the electric trike for a time while I get this motor looked at some more.

mbearden

Mar 2, 2016
Florence, KY
So, I finally did some upgrades that needed to be done! I put a high compression head on it and put a bigger tank on the tube. While the rear tank was a neat idea, it kind of hindered my light set-up for the rear. I will utilize it for longer rides. 41mph is my high mark (down-hill). It will do 30 up-hill all day, and I've hit 37 a few times not really trying too hard. The shift kit is worth it for the versatility, but don't expect to gain a bunch of speed or a whole lot more power. Just gives you a range to work in. Here's a couple new pictures.

Attachments