Thinning rag joint...?

GoldenMotor.com

LWalker

Apr 19, 2020
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm working on my first build and finally finished it up but realized my chain alignment was really bad and creating this "popping" noise. The only way I can see to bring the drive sprocket and rear sprocket into alignment is to thin the outer rag joint by slicing off a third of the width. Is this a terrible idea? It's honestly the only solution to my problem. If it wouldn't be a catastrophic mistake - has anyone else done this? Whats the best way to go about it - maybe instead of cutting I should try to sand it down? Unfortunately I don't have an orbital sander and would have to do it by hand.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
To start off, rag joints are pretty dang strong. They're used for steering joints in older cars. The limiting factor is your wheel spokes here. If you look down the edge of your rubber joint it will be divided in thirds or sixths? You could try removing a layer or two with a razor blade. Anyway you choose a CNC sprocket mount adapter has better adjustability and has a less chance of causing problems later on if installed right.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you tried flipping the sprocket around? Just wondering.

Nothing wrong with thinning the rag joint. Also, don't over tighten the sprocket.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
The only part that will move the sprocket position is the rag joint material between the sprocket and the spokes.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
On my black bike I made a thinner inside rag joint to align the sprocket, at my former job we had conveyor belt of several thicknesses so scrap pieces were easy go come by.