things that need to be invented

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My thing that needs to be invented is a inexpensive kit to convert a cruiser bike to a trike. Something that would allow someone to go out and buy a used bike for peanuts and use the wheels to convert his old bike to a trike.

All it would be is an axle that would require one to do would be to move the rear wheel outside the frame and add a second one outside the frame on the opposite side.

I know the trikes they make are only a couple of hundred bucks but what the heck a moped isn't much more than a bike we make.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i don't even put my motorized bicycle in the same class as a moped. we are a unique group. its like comparing a dirt bike with a full dressed harley lol. i would like to someday make a motorized tricycle. i think that would be great fun. another thing that would be cool are the rhoades cars that are sometimes advertised on here. make it with a roof lol. crazy how every bike i see i look at it for a candidate for a bicycle engine

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The line form the "TERMINATOR"
Say that's a nice bike.
I'll bet anyone that's done a engine conversion to a bicycle has that thought at every bike he or she sees.
Deason you have a good idea wish you lived closer we would try it. Bob and I could tear up anything. We are going to write a book on 101 ways to tear up an anvil. rotfl
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I like the book on anvil destruction. heck I like books on anything.

The point I was making with the moped thing was that if we only wanted to get from one place to another, we could buy one of those scooters. If I were to suggest a conversion kit to my family, the response would be why walmart sells a trike for only 250.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I know that doesn't sound like much for a trike but for people on a fixed budget that can be too much. I know making your own can be as expensive as if you would have broke down and bought it. But the building part is fun and you get what you want sometimes. A fairly nice wire feed welder can be bought for around $250.00 then you can build to your hearts content and learn how to weld a talent that is very handy, someone always wants something welded. They will sometimes pay you or at least thank you and or buy you a drink. Coffee anyone?
Deacon the wire feed welders will work on 120 volt so you will not have to wire up a 220 volt outlet. Lowes and home depot sell them I don't have one but someday I will. I like the gas welder now. I also want a plasma cutter and a wire feed or tig welder. A good metal lathe and a good mill someday that is my wish list. A dremel tool is priceless. I'm rambling now so I'll stop.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My wife tells me to go buy a welder but I just have so many hobbies I can't devote enough time to learning. My next door neighbor has one. When I really get desperate I get him to weld for me.

I have a push electric bike to test when the day heats up. if it works I might get him to weld a bracket on the sissy for the engine. It is bolted on now.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
YOU should LISTEN to your wife go BUY one NOW before she changes her mind. I think the wire feed would be the way to go as you can weld very thin metal with it. Good Luck my friend. Its not that hard to learn Bob says if you can squeeze tooth paste out of a tube, you can weld with a wire feed. I can, but I get the paste all over the place.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
norm I have the right design for a four wheel bike take a look.

You use a small piece of pipe with a bolt welded on each end as an inside connector for each new wheel. You just make and weld a bow on the outside to connect the outside of each wheel and to keep it straight. Nothing could be simpler. Instead of two rear wheels you have three. Of course you can round the bow instead of making square as I did for the drawing.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
With the right size all thread you could do it might be a booger to put together and I do not know if it would be strong enough but you have a good idea. The big bikes have a similar set up for people who have trouble with the heavy bikes and don't want to give up riding. Your thinking and that good keeps the devil from getting you to thinking of naughty things.
You said you have a bunch of front wheels laying around why not make an angle bracket and mount them on the back even if they are smaller there is something to think about you could bolt it together and not have to weld.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah they are all the same size. I think I am going to get my neighbor to make me the pipe bolt combo. then get someone to bend me some conduit and get the neighbor to weld some ends on it to bolt onto the wheels and bolt it down on the bike for a while then maybe have it welded.

Since all the weight is on the real wheel and nothing else is moving at all it might just work. Just need a big ole harp kind of thing made to support the outside of the wheels the rest is a piece of cake.... famous last words...

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That is pretty much what i'm talking about with that last one. They would just look more like a cool bike than someone handicapped on it.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Dean @ SWSC had invented an elliptical trainer (Trikester) with the kinda the same concept. If you lean to one side it turns both wheels. It will be featured on Fat Farm on NBC.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That's why it has two disc brakes on the front and a regular one on the back. Its a blast & work out to ride. It works both the upper and lower body parts.