The Felts are pretty nice

GoldenMotor.com

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I've been checking out the vintage motorbikes by Ridley. They use the felt cruisers as a base, and they are beautiful! The cool thing about them, is that the "tank" bar is actually a tank. On these bikes, the tank-shaped top tube is completely sealed, so at Ridley they tap a cap onto the top, and a petcock on the bottom, and no need for your ugly tank. Also, check out the sweet custom, billet aluminum frame mounts. They have a rubber insert that the motor mounts onto, so very little vibration...I called and asked if they would sell the mounts to me, as I plan to build up one of those same Felts, and "**** no" was the response...the price of the Ridleys are $1500, but considering the quality of the bike used, the bullet proof mounts, and they outfit the motors with noise deadening clutch,gear, and generator covers (black), it's not a bad deal...way, WAY nicer than those pile of crap Dehringers that are selling for $3500! Has anyone built up a Felt yet? Gimme some knowledge on what to look out for. I know I'm gonna need one of Andy's top-hat spacers to get the chain clear of the 3" wide rear tires, but the geometry of these frames is definitely unique...it's as if Felt designed them for motors...there's a lotta space between down tube and head-set.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Yeah the Felt bikes are cool but the top tube is not sealed by Felt. That is done by the person that motorized the bike. There are a lot of threads about the Felt bikes, some even show how they sealed the top tube.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
This is the best example of using a Felt from scratch that I have seen on this forum.
IMGP3034.JPG

Look up member clotho for more details as he was very generous in sharing his ideas here.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Felts are great! Have to love the steel frame models. Can get a front brake for as low as $20. The Heritage (Alum) is just begging for a chinagurl. Fenders, front brakes and springer forks. Just dang gorgeous. Most shops will let it go for 500. Felt Bicycles USA - Heritage (9538)
I have never been able to get any sort of rubber mount to work well. Always allowed for more vibration, not less. Kind of a paint shaker at a hardware store effect. But that does not mean some one can not make it work.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I got a 1903 model off craigslist (god bless craigslist forever...and ever) for $300. I'm gonna fab my own mounts...probably copy clotho's mounts. His felt is the undisputed gold standard, but mine will be close... I'll keep yall updated on the build, including the tank sealing, which, thanks again to clotho, I found explained in detail on the other board. I like that mine will have fenders, we get a lot of damp days around here, and I will need to switch out the front wheel for a drum brake hub (no front brake on the 1903). The motor is a HT I ported, milled the head, and it was running a 34T sprocket. I had it mounted on a 1947 Monark with a rock hopper fork, and it was fast (42mph) until the down tube snapped at the weld from the vibration. Now I'm fully on board with this felt, but without the jackshaft...no offense to the SBP guys, they put a lot of time and engineering into the kits for sure, but the price tag is too much...they should outsource the production to China, and have them sent over in the same box with the motor. That's how you sell jackshaft kits, boys...you make them be the standard, not something that a handfull of people can afford.Think about it...volume is the key. The kit would have to be around $80-$100 for me to consider it...besides, like my name says, I enjoy making things, and just slapping someone elses kit on my bike almost seems like cheating...but what am I saying? I slapped Andy's sprocket on it, and I'm gonna slap SCSW's pipe on this felt...like Whitman said .."do I contradict? Of course I do, because I contain multitudes."

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
the 1903 is awesome! I looked at it thinking pipes threw mounted. (Big "H" sort of deal) I can't wait to see what you build. Felt's are a great platform.

CList rocks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I got a 1903 model off craigslist (god bless craigslist forever...and ever) for $300. I'm gonna fab my own mounts...probably copy clotho's mounts. His felt is the undisputed gold standard, but mine will be close... I'll keep yall updated on the build, including the tank sealing, which, thanks again to clotho, I found explained in detail on the other board. I like that mine will have fenders, we get a lot of damp days around here, and I will need to switch out the front wheel for a drum brake hub (no front brake on the 1903). The motor is a HT I ported, milled the head, and it was running a 34T sprocket. I had it mounted on a 1947 Monark with a rock hopper fork, and it was fast (42mph) until the down tube snapped at the weld from the vibration. Now I'm fully on board with this felt, but without the jackshaft...no offense to the SBP guys, they put a lot of time and engineering into the kits for sure, but the price tag is too much...they should outsource the production to China, and have them sent over in the same box with the motor. That's how you sell jackshaft kits, boys...you make them be the standard, not something that a handfull of people can afford.Think about it...volume is the key. The kit would have to be around $80-$100 for me to consider it...besides, like my name says, I enjoy making things, and just slapping someone elses kit on my bike almost seems like cheating...but what am I saying? I slapped Andy's sprocket on it, and I'm gonna slap SCSW's pipe on this felt...like Whitman said .."do I contradict? Of course I do, because I contain multitudes."
Wow that was deep....seriously.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
China Cheap. Maybe wait until the day that Mal Wart has what you want? Or make it yourself like you say you can and don't be knockin what others are trying to accomplish for those that don't have mad skills like yourself? I have yet to see anyone try and take advantage of their fellow MABers by overselling their goods on here. Doing business in the US is much different than overseas. But we get the advantage of a quality of life with freedoms that most will never know.

We really have to take a serious look at weaning ourselves off the China connection for all our needs for things that are inexpensive. What happens if it is ever severed? Not trying to turn this in to a white room thing, just sayin.

Mabman
.cargo

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
I've had my eye on the Felt Heritage. It is one sweet looking bike. I'd likely relace the rims onto some different hubs and I'm wondering if anybody out there could answer me this: What is the voltage and wattage and bulb style used in that cool torpedo style headlight? I'd like to connect it up to a generator front hub with some small NiMH's and a charging circuit in place of the the original batteries and run a six bolt disc hub and sprocket from King's in the rear.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
wow, Jak...that is BEAST of a bike...like something outta Mad Max! I would put a handlebar mounted tank on her (like the SCSW full suspensions). That keeps it outta the way of moving parts. Is that a moped motor? looks like the motor out of a Puch 80cc I used to have...is it an auto or a manual tranny? They made on with a 2 speed manual that would be bad to the bone.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
look for a john deer tank...they are small and could fit behind the seat...might need a fuel pump....that is quit the machine...you have balls...way out there...dennis

look for a john deer tank...they are small and could fit behind the seat...might need a fuel pump....that is quit the machine...you have balls...way out there...dennis
the engine is a puch E50 it is the one speed auto with a manual clutch for starting
there are allot of aftermarket parts & they last for ever
I think Im going to take a piece of 3.5 inch pipe & make something out of it finding a cap bung will be the hardest part of making a tank
what kind of pump would you use? an electric?
I actually have a tank that will fit behind the seat & hadent even thought of that

Ill have to look & see if it will clear the rear wheel on compression & all

on the tensioner I took apart a crappy derailour & put a skateboard bearing in the wheel & used a spring that was part of the derailour & a push spring between the frame & the tensioner arm too
& because the slack side gets pulled tight on starting I put a limiter on for the travel in that direction
the chain might be a problem if I jump it & land really hard but aside from that it should be great :)

I want to build a frame from scratch next for this engine which will only have an upper tube, seat post tube & head tube for the front part of the frame so I can move the engine lower

thanks for the kind words

take care
JAK

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Always wanted to make a tank from a pipe. Be really cool on a steel framed felt bike. easy and cheap. would it need to be coated inside? I know it should be but does it have to be?

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
First of all China does not equal Cheap...like everywhere else in the world, you get what you pay for in China. I happen to know first hand that China is capable of tooling to the highest prescision, with the finest materials (they've been buying up all the aluminum, stainless, and iron for a decade now), if that's what you wish for them to make...what, you think CNC mills only exist in the states and germany?

Second of all, I wasn't "knockin" anybody's work. In fact I gave them props for the R&D it took to make the kits...I just think the right business move would be to spread those R&D costs over many units instead of a handful that they have to make themselves. If they wish to keep it small, so be it, it's a free country...but history says that, as sure as the day you were born, the design will be observed (maybe already has), copied, and mass produced and marketed. Patents will only help to prevent specific design elements from being mirrored...there's alot of ways to mount a jackshaft. I don't think SBP is trying to take advantage of anybody, I think they should take advantage of as many people as possible by getting their beautifully constructed kits on as many bikes as they can, you follow?

Third, taking a serious look at weaning ourselves from China is like looking into weaning ourselves from beef. Sure, it's probably the healthiest thing for the country in the long run, but is it gonna happen?