Switchblade (pipe)Dream Build

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Attaboy now she's lookin' the part & friends are great to have...just because. You've got to break some eggs in order to make a beautiful omelette. Frame paint comes last on every build that's not just a simple kit, but with great care and patience I think you'll manage to save most of it that's visible when completed.

The engine itself looks great fresh brushed way better than factory.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: PsychDoc

PsychDoc

Sep 8, 2019
Thanks Rick! I think I will go with powder coat eventually. Unless cost is prohibitive or someone has information I need to consider.
My welder wouldn’t let me take the bike without cleaning the welds, a bit of a perfectionist.
And I don’t think I mentioned it here- I did buy a Motorsport 3D manual clutch.

Reactions: indian22

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks Rick! I think I will go with powder coat eventually. Unless cost is prohibitive or someone has information I need to consider.
My welder wouldn’t let me take the bike without cleaning the welds, a bit of a perfectionist.
And I don’t think I mentioned it here- I did buy a Motorsport 3D manual clutch.
That should be a god clutch, i have 2 in the box, yet. Bought of the market post, sell & trade.........Curt

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah Doc you did mention the 3-D purchase. I also bought one a year or so back but haven't used it yet. They are really well made.

Rick C.

PsychDoc

Sep 8, 2019
Removing the fins- use a hammer- smack them quite hard and “snap” off they come. Trying to cut them was a pain, the hammer works well.
Sanding- put the thing on an engine and run- this does not work well- tried the engine running and ‘sanding’ with an angel grinder- no good. Maybe a more aggressive disk would have been better. Tried a sanding block- too slow. It may have worked but it was slow going. So what I ended up doing was pulling the flywheel back off, again, and using the angle grinder to get close. Don’t stay in one place long. When I was close to flat I switched to a sanding block to avoid dips. Now that it’s almost there I put it back on the motor to get a ‘final’ surfacing. Pull it back off and’polish’ on the bench.

Reactions: FOG and Ralph hop

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
I would touch my leg to it for a couple of seconds, haha. I'm working on a Honda clone and I may try sanding the rough cast. It had a plastic fan that I removed and cut with a hole saw to use as a spacer for the pull cord ring. Hope I can just rap the cord around it and start.