Suddenly Stopped Working!

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
"(maybe one of the other guys here will stop talking about hearing aids & arthritis & help you too... (but that's not likely)"
Jeez Norm, was it getting that bad? ;)

Air, fuel, and spark= run. Any one of the three will have you walking. The conductors in #12 look fine.
Test for continuity. Faulty kill switch? Carb not delivering fuel?
A neighbors bike took a carp. Told him to get a new CDI. Runs like a champ now. I don't power with two stinks. but the forums are full failed CDI's. But carp in a carb. jet comes in second.

Tom
Carb issues Generally caused by using ethanol added fuel.

Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
At this point, you're confident that you have air, fuel, compression & spark (& there's also nothing wrong with the carb)..
So now I have to agree with Tom... Try replacing the CDI (the black box)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Also... to all the old timers here... I apologize for the comment, but it really sucks that I have to say something like that just to get a little help from you guys.... (& thank you Tom, I think you may have solved the mystery).

Reactions: Tony01 and fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
ICE engines are illegal on the road in Canada. Last fine I heard of was $5,000 so I don't own one other than the Indian Tri Car and that still isn't running. Hope the cure has been tracked down.

Steve

Quentin's

Mar 10, 2024
Have you changed the fuel filter? Have you inspected the fuel tank for loose partials inside of it?
I've checked the bike and found no noticeable trigger issue. The fuel tank and filters are in good shape. While testing the CDI with a basic multimeter one day, I read 6.98 Ω. Similarly, the magneto stator showed readings between 5-15 Ω.
Despite having spark, compression, fuel, and air, it wouldn't run either. Although the fuel ignites on and off, it isn't enough to get the bike starting. Why did it stall unexpectedly? So, it suddenly began stalling with nothing noticeable, and I still remember it somehow began misfiring before it completely came to a stop.

Quentin

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've checked the bike and found no noticeable trigger issue. The fuel tank and filters are in good shape. While testing the CDI with a basic multimeter one day, I read 6.98 Ω. Similarly, the magneto stator showed readings between 5-15 Ω.
Despite having spark, compression, fuel, and air, it wouldn't run either. Although the fuel keeps igniting on and off, it isn't enough to get the bike starting. Why did it stall? So, it suddenly had stopped with nothing noticeable, and I still remember it somehow began misfiring before it completely stalled.

Quentin
Are you using ethanol free gas? Ethanol reeks havoc on small engines.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We have a wood chipper here at the house that gets used three or four times a year. Ethanol gas was left in it for about eight months without it being used and the gas dissolved the float bowl. Now we only use ethanol free gas.

Steve.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
We have a wood chipper here at the house that gets used three or four times a year. Ethanol gas was left in it for about eight months without it being used and the gas dissolved the float bowl. Now we only use ethanol free gas.

Steve.
Same here Steve, I use to fix a lot of lawn mower, use to have a women come to and would start, with fresh gas in it. Paper towel and clean it out, my fresh gas took right off, turns out station south of town had to muck water in it................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As Venice said Tom may well have the solution. Have you tried a different CDI or two and that's no exaggeration. Years ago when the forum was much busier there would be at least four if not more people on here with CDI problems every week. Riding along and the bike sputtered and quit if it didn't just quit. The CDI would test out good but a new one would get them back on the road.

To test them look on YouTube and put in, China Girl motor bike CDI problems. It may work until you put a load on it.

Steve.

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I had a CDI that worked fine at idle but when the RPMs raised the engine would miss
I checked everything but a new CDI fixed it
It's a good idea to have a new CDI on hand so you can switch CDI when troubleshooting

BTW extra new electrical parts making troubleshooting easy by switching parts