Stripped choke lever screw

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So, my choke lever has been a little loose lately, and at higher rpms the incoming airflow will suck it halfway closed.

Last night I went to tighten the nut a little bit, and the darn thing stripped. I barely touched it, lol. Now the lever is so loose just trying to start the bike will move it around. Couldn't even get the bike started this morning :(

Any suggestions on a suitable replacement idea?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm sorry Jason, your post must have slipped by me.....

Now that I think about it, I dont remember how the choke is attached?

You cant re-chase the threads?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It's attached with a bolt that has 2 flat sides, and very little thread - obviously easy to strip. There is a nut inside the air cleaner.

What I ended up doing is adding an extra washer to it so the threads the nut grabs are ok. Only a temporary fix I think.

What makes me mad is I took off the carb to fix the stupid choke lever initially, then the thing strips. Now that I have it fixed, I rode to work today with crappy power, surging up and down, and a nice gas leak from the carb somewhere. Wondering if the float is stuck or something. Bah.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was thinking just file a grove in their and add a e-clip...but it probably will not be tight enough and your choke will close on ya.

Maybe just a bolt & nut with some O-rings?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Actually I think a cable+shift lever is a great idea.

I personally don't use the choke while riding though, except to kill the motor (haven't gotten around to getting a kill switch). I start the bike by picking up the rear via the seat and kick the pedals over. Usually takes once on full choke, and once on half choke and it fires right up.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I think I like the rod mod (no pun intended rotfl) best. I have enough cables flopping around and tied up as it is. Although both are better than the alternative. (^)