Springer seat without fabrication

GoldenMotor.com

Zarro

May 5, 2023
Is there a good type of springer seat out there that doesn't need fabrication? I don't have access to welding equipment, but I can modify the frame by drilling into it if necessary.

Ideas?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
So let me get this straight?, You're concerned that a heavy duty steel fork might snap, but you're considering drilling holes into an aluminum frame???

'Interesting'

Zarro

May 5, 2023
So let me get this straight?, You're concerned that a heavy duty steel fork might snap, but you're considering drilling holes into an aluminum frame???

'Interesting'
How else would you mount a springer seat without welding?

That is what I have heard about those forks, I was just asking. I am still very new to this hobby.

And the holes created for some bolts for a seat aren't huge. I could even get a duel-threaded steel rod to put through to make up for drilling the holes.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I don't like aluminum frames... I'm heavy 240# and can snap a steel frame with no engine going 1mph... It's the vibration that aluminum doesn't like and chasing cracks in a frame all the time isn't as bad as steel and steel is more forgiving to weld... My first mo-bike had about 4lbs of mig wire in it after about 4 years of flat beach road use... Aluminum... Gets it's strength from a thin layer of oxidation on the surface... Anodized or polished helps smooth out the surface... Steel is strong all the way through the metal... And don't drill holes anywhere on any frame... Weld in gussets close gaps round and smooth everything out so it's one solid piece... Bicycle is made to flex... A motorized bicycle is made so it doesn't... Or not as much as best you can... A BmX Dirt jump frame in 26" would be the only aluminum frame I would consider if I absolutely had to have aluminum... And it would fold where a chromolly DJ frame would total a Prius ;)

Reactions: Tony01

Zarro

May 5, 2023
I don't like aluminum frames... I'm heavy 240# and can snap a steel frame with no engine going 1mph... It's the vibration that aluminum doesn't like and chasing cracks in a frame all the time isn't as bad as steel and steel is more forgiving to weld... My first mo-bike had about 4lbs of mig wire in it after about 4 years of flat beach road use... Aluminum... Gets it's strength from a thin layer of oxidation on the surface... Anodized or polished helps smooth out the surface... Steel is strong all the way through the metal... And don't drill holes anywhere on any frame... Weld in gussets close gaps round and smooth everything out so it's one solid piece... Bicycle is made to flex... A motorized bicycle is made so it doesn't... Or not as much as best you can... A BmX Dirt jump frame in 26" would be the only aluminum frame I would consider if I absolutely had to have aluminum... And it would fold where a chromolly DJ frame would total a Prius ;)
I only weigh 150 and will never weight more than 190, I am pretty tiny.

I have seen 212s be put on cdhpower felt fakers that have lasted for years with heavy dudes riding them.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Is there a good type of springer seat out there that doesn't need fabrication? I don't have access to welding equipment, but I can modify the frame by drilling into it if necessary.

Ideas?
Everything is going to take fabrication... $100 harbor freight welder and grinder cheap hood starter kit... Get some hardware cloth and one of those stainless fire extinguisher you can change with air and water... Drilling and building something like an erector set isn't going to be the way to go... Motorized bicycle will teach you to be a metal fabricators.. don't hire it out just watch U tube ;)

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Everything is going to take fabrication... $100 harbor freight welder and grinder cheap hood starter kit... Get some hardware cloth and one of those stainless fire extinguisher you can change with air and water... Drilling and building something like an erector set isn't going to be the way to go... Motorized bicycle will teach you to be a metal fabricators.. don't hire it out just watch U tube
I've seen guys that are tiny... Big and there all getting there frames welded or there swapping frames... Unless there pushing it around there living room for years it's getting worked on constantly...

Zarro

May 5, 2023
Just use the search. Most the stuff you are asking has been done before.

Those guys with 212 fakers don’t ride a lot, and a lot of them compromise their oil systems to fit the frame. Bad setup. As mossy said you want steel.
What do you mean compromise their oil? The oil access spots are still accessable

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Something like this... But it's not a bicycle with those engines... Unless you walk like John Wayne it's impossible to pedal around...
Yeah that’s a good frame there. Zaro use the SEARCH and you’ll find a thread where I built a 212 motorcycle.

Reactions: Zarro