Sportsman Pedal Power

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just been messing around with a new build. I'll be the engine on this one! Strictly pedal power and somewhat of a return to where I started with frame construction. This is a standard Worksman INB rear triangle with a custom front section based on my standard stretch and loop configuration.

Sportsman Pedal Bike by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Figured my brother would want one, too, so I built another one up as a boardie. Again, no engine mounts, strictly pedal power.

Sportsman Pedal Power by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i thought about building a pedal only powered btr replica, down here in san diego everyone rides bikes by the beach. unfortunately motorized bikes aren't allowed due to heavy populated areas and heavy foot traffic.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That would be nice with a magic pie electric motor in back and the batteries hidden inside the in frame gas tank. Pedal or go electric as you feel like it. Something to think about.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks, guys. I must admit that after building only motorized bikes I am very excited about building something without an engine, especially the cruiser. To really make the cruiser something I could put some miles on I ordered a Strumey Archer Duo Drive hub. It's a two speed kick-back coaster brake. Otherwise I have been digging into all the extra parts laying around to keep both these bikes as low buck as possible. I have some replica Schwinn ballon tire fenders I may try to fit to the cruiser. I even have a Whizzer engine kicking around. No, I must resist the urge to slap an engine on this thing!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those look great, pat. good job!

i've always had cool bikes to pedal around. i'm not the type to ride a bike just for transportation. don't wanna look like a kook at the beach...:)

since i'm not riding anything motor-powered for a while i've been riding my S&S knock-off. i know, i know, i sent you pictures of it a while ago, but i found out it's a TBS, or Tiawan Bicycle Supply copy of the S&S Newport.

still made around 1980 and welded up very well, and supposedly TBS was contracted by S&S to make their cruisers, but it's just not the real thing. it's still an awesome bike to ride around, especially after i fixed it all up.

i also picked up a 26" Takara BMX cruiser a few months back for 70 bucks. has some junk parts on it, and whoever came up with the drop outs and brake/fender braces wasn't thinking to clearly, but when i can chop up steel and weld again, i'm gonna make some new track-dropouts and clean it up. right now it's just piled up in the garage with the rest of my projects.

then there's the 24" S&S i was gonna motorize, but since it's so rare, i'll probably build it up old school and make you BMX junkies drool...:)

it's kinda sketchy riding around with my right arm in a sling, but i can't sit on the couch all day every day til i recover...

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Bairdco,
Don't even get me started on the BMX Cruisers. Too late! I just picked up the girls bike version of the S&S cruiser. Called a Pacific Flyer. It's a girls bike complete with basket so I gave it to my wife. She really likes it.

BMX Cruisers by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here's my 1979 Magna Cruise. Finally scored the correct stock bars and Redline Flight cranks.

BMX Cruiser by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

If you feel like getting rid of that S&S give me a shout. Sorry for the thread drift but I really dig the BMX cruisers.......

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
My wheels are built! Worksman aluminum rims, stainless spokes, and a front drum and rear Strumy Archer two speed kick shift. I would have rode it tonight but didn't have any rim strips left so I couldn't mount the tires. Such a bummer.

Here is the rear hub. I haven't rode a bike with a two speed kick back since I was a kid. This should be interesting. I am hoping this klunker of a bike is actually usable for transportation. One thing for sure is the loop frame style is very obvious when you don't have an engine sitting in there. The loop looks huge!

One more picture.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
My wheels are built! Worksman aluminum rims, stainless spokes, and a front drum and rear Strumy Archer two speed kick shift. I would have rode it tonight but didn't have any rim strips left so I couldn't mount the tires. Such a bummer.

Here is the rear hub. I haven't rode a bike with a two speed kick back since I was a kid. This should be interesting. I am hoping this klunker of a bike is actually usable for transportation. One thing for sure is the loop frame style is very obvious when you don't have an engine sitting in there. The loop looks huge!

One more picture.

Pat, your Vintage / Retro Style Pedal Cruiser BTR's are beautiful! It's amazing how much fun just a plain old un-motorized Pedal Cruiser Bicycle can be riding at the Beach or Cruising the neighborhood!

Pat, you are always ahead of the crowd if I may say so when it comes to New Idea's with Vintage Retro Style Bicycles, I see a real winner here, Kudo's to you and the Sportsman Flyer staff...I'd also like to say you've earned your place in Modern Vintage / Retro Style Bicycle Design & Fabrication. I always wanted to make something like this happen for everyone myself, and I just wanted to say thank you for making the Vintage / Retro Style Pedal Cruiser BTR a reality!

Peace Crazy Horse.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Well, thanks Joe! From my earliest days hanging out on this forum I remember you had a vision for a bicycle of this type. Funny how I had to build a few motorized bicycles then motorbikes with pedals before I just built a regular "old" bicycle. Besides, I need the exercise!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I was standing there last night with black tape in my hand. Last time I did that it was a sticky mess later when I peeled it all off. I scored some more 21" motorcycle rim strips today, very wide thick rubber and the same cost as 26" bicycle strips. I had a set of used Quick Bricks laying around so I mounted them up and went for a spin. The rear hub is very cool. More of a click back then a kick back. It takes very little effort to shift the bike and the coaster brake works great, too. The hub was well worth it. I rode the bike all over and it is a good solid cruiser. Nice cushy Brooks, the springer forks work like they should with no sloppy feel, everything nice and stable. Still need to hook up the front brake but that's about it. I feel like a kid with a brand new bicycle!

Last edited:

konig44

Mar 20, 2013
fort collins
I wasn't sure if I would Luke a pedal bike with a drop loop. But seeing it complete definitely helps. The stance of that bicycle is perfect. Keep up the good work

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I can't post it from my phone, but you should get a vintage Mattel Vroom toy engine and put it in there!

Or, i have one of those cyclepro grips that you twist and it goes "vrum vrum" like a motor... :)
I remember those Mattel plastic engines. I had considered having my logo guys print out a 3/4 scale profile adhesive backed photo of a vintage V-twin. I could stick it to a laser cut sheet with the same profile and place that in the loop. Instant vintage motorcycle.