So-Cal Speed Shop Special

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Those two look so right next to one another. I really like the green and black combination. Has anyone at the show asked where you put the batteries. Rick C.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice bike but I noticed a few cars with that gosh awful Army drab paint ??
Yeah, sometimes the vintage colors can be unexciting, but maybe it's an age thing. The older I get the more I like these vintage colors and I have learned you have to be pretty brave to use them. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Olive drab.

2018 GNRS by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

What I call "wet cement".

And of course the ever exciting grey. Or is it gray? Not sure.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
We used the same green distressed leather on the seat and grips that was used in the trucks interior. Also, quite a few of the fork components and handlebars were plated in real nickel, not chrome. There really is a difference. I was totally sweating putting this bike together. Couldn't scratch or chip anything, which I typically don't, but when it's really important, well you know how that goes. This was also a 72 volt bike. Not a huge power gain but there is a difference. It will go over 50 mph.

Reactions: Velodrome and Mr.B.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing the rod pics Pat. Your E-Flyer fits right in.
Vintage colour (that's the correct spelling by the way, lol) palette always pushes all my buttons. Paint fads come and go. Can't go wrong when sticking with close to original shades.
Personally, I have a rule of limiting myself to colours (there it is again...) from the RAL range on my vintage-looking bike and car projects.
Plan is for my latest No. 3 motorized bicycle project to be decked-out in grey shades.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
The bike is beautiful. It's as close to perfect as Marylin Monroe's ... . I didn't realize the extent, that striving for perfection in every motorized bicycle build, of the wear and tear on a person that it makes them old before their time. If I may respectfully add: on the whole I would rather have seen a Bonneville Flyer or a Super Cruiser with SCTA lettering on top of the gas tank with the appropriate Sportsman Flyer or Bonneville Flyer lettering on the sides. Thank you.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The bike is beautiful. It's as close to perfect as Marylin Monroe's ... . I didn't realize the extent, that striving for perfection in every motorized bicycle build, of the wear and tear on a person that it makes them old before their time. If I may respectfully add: on the whole I would rather have seen a Bonneville Flyer or a Super Cruiser with SCTA lettering on top of the gas tank with the appropriate Sportsman Flyer or Bonneville Flyer lettering on the sides. Thank you.
Here are a couple Bonneville Flyers for you. The all black one is an older build set up with earlier forks and a sleeved down GX200 running 98cc to compete in the 100cc classes. Number 536 is a stroker motor running around 236cc to compete in 250cc classes.

Bonneville Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The 250 record is still sitting at 80.438 which is my old record. A few people have gone after it but amazingly it still holds. The 100cc records are 45 and 54 mph. Sitting ducks, right? Nothing is easy at Bonneville. My 100cc bike is running 58 mph at sea level. Getting two records on this bike means 4 runs at WOT. A mile run up and a mile timed section. I hit full rpm after 3/4 mile. Looks like 5 miles at 8500 rpm. See, what could go wrong? Easy....