Single speed bicycle or one with gears?

GoldenMotor.com

ilkeeper

Dec 2, 2008
il
Hello everyone,

I am planning on getting the Titan motor kit after the first of the year and have a few questions.

1. Is there a difference in using a Single speed bike or multi speed bike with an engine, if so which would be better?

2. I have read about needing to change the rear wheel to something heavier duty, what spoke size or other recommendations?

3. What horse power is the Titan? I live in Illinois, and to be legal I can have no more than 2 brake horsepower.

Thanks...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello ilkeeper, Welcome to the forum :)

I use a single speed bike and I like it very much. But, I do have to admit the bikes I have built for others were multi-speed and I found it much easier to pedal with them then my single speed.

As far as changing the wheel and the horsepower of the titan....I am not sure. Hopefully someone else can jump in here and give info on that. And I will keep a close watch so that I will know for the future.

:ride2:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a girlie single-speed cruiser with front brake, and a Raleigh 7-speed cruiser bike. I like the 7-speed because:

MUCH better braking

ability to pedal-assist at high speed

easier pedalling at any mph

I recommend HD rim, 12-gauge spokes and high-speed grease. Also, secure the spokes where they crisscross with tiewraps.

I have 12-gauge spokes and HD rims front and rear. I have NEVER broken or even loosened a spoke with my 2.2 hp Staton friction or chain drive assemblies.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
before anything else, check the OLD (Overall length Diameter) of your dropouts. Having more gears would require you to have a wider OLD. Or you can use a frame expander tool to fit a wider hub with more gears.

Having more gears is definitely better than single speed. It gives you more flexibility on the type of terrain you can go through. However, multi-speed uses a thinner chain, and single speed uses a thicker chain. I'm using an 8 speed internal gear hub, allowing me to use thicker, more durable, BMX chains. I have experienced snapping multi speed chains, so choose a very good quality chain also.

Heavy duty hub, spokes, and rim is a must for a motorized bicycle.

Most engines for bicycles are limited between 1 to 2 HP that is below 50cc. I'm not sure about the Titan.

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Thought that was Over Locknut Dimension?

Techno is right about the respacing of the OLD of your bike but be aware you can't expand an aluminum framed bike.

There are shifter kits available from SBP that allow you to use the engine via the gears. See the links at the left.

When you get down to it the in hub gearing has derailleurs beat all to heck. Everything is enclosed keeping out dirt, rain, snow and salt, etc. OLD from 110mm to 150mm.

Ted

ilkeeper

Dec 2, 2008
il
There are shifter kits available from SBP that allow you to use the engine via the gears. See the links at the left.

Ted
Thanks for everyone helping me out, I'm learning a lot here.
On the shifter kits, does anyone know if they are legal in Illinois?

Our rule of the road says (Power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.)

Thanks...

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
depends on the interpretation. From that line you posted, then yes it's legal, as long as you only leave it in 1 gear. If you interpret is "shall not allow the operator to shift gears" then no it's not legal period.