Should I go for a 48T or a 56T sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

Muaya

Mar 15, 2019
Hi! I own a couple beach cruisers equipped with 80cc CDH Power engines, both with the stock 44T sprocket and 26" tires.
I live in an area with a lot of uphills, I've managed to pedal up my way for a year, but is somewhat exhausting.
The hardest uphill is around 12° and I weight 63 Kg (139 pounds).
I don't mind pedaling, but I would like to make it easier, so I'm unsure which sprocket to choose.
Top speed is not really that important for me, but I wouldn't like it to drop below 30 km/h (19 mph on flat road).
Can someone please advice me? Would 4 teeth more make a big difference? Or how much will my top speed drop with the 56T?

subida.JPG

Here is a photo of how the hill looks. Thanks.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I can't help with going with a bigger sprocket, I know going from a 44 to a 41 on one of mine hurt the low end torque with a couple mph gain on flat roads. If it were me I would try the 48 first, with the 56 you would really turn up the rpms on flat roads.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
How much do you weigh??? (this will help figure out what sprocket is better for you).

Also, something important to consider, is that if you go fast & keep the RPMs up, a stock engine / sprocket should get you up most any hill.
If you're trying to 'creep' up the hill at low speed?, the engine won't be able to do it no matter what sprocket you have.

Muaya

Mar 15, 2019
How much do you weigh??? (this will help figure out what sprocket is better for you).

Also, something important to consider, is that if you go fast & keep the RPMs up, a stock engine / sprocket should get you up most any hill.
If you're trying to 'creep' up the hill at low speed?, the engine won't be able to do it no matter what sprocket you have.
Thanks for the reply, 139 lbs. There's a flat road before the hill, but no matter how fast I manage to get eventually I have to pedal really hard.