Shifter Bike v2.0

GoldenMotor.com

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
After my first shifter bike was stolen (i was gutted by the loss) I went ahead with version 2

All I learned on the first build was used in this build.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/shifter-kit-installed-2785-2.html#post35547

It features:-

A new needle bearing 70cc painted black
Alloy rims and slicks
A head-stay
Suspension forks
Low seat & high bars
Twist grip 6 speed
An adjustable "keeper" to secure the back wheel
Dual action brake lever

It is so reliable, I have put 50 miles on it without any major mishap.

Just regular issues with cable adjustments.

Future enhancements will include:-

A real Dell'orto carb probably a 16mm SHA
A pocket bike pipe
Fenders and lights.
Possibly go back to a 3 speed hub so I can shift when stationary, been caught out in 6th a few times at the lights!

It is geared to do 19mph in first and 38 in sixth at 6000rpm
It pulls out to 35mph now, should pull over 40 when run in.
I'm happy to do 6500 for short bursts!

Attachments

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks for the compliments guys, the shifter is called Epoch.

It came off a mid range Huffy as did the wheels and some other parts.

But look what I got today, All new old stock, made in Japan Shimano parts.

For $25!

My Local Bike Shop has a pallet load of them.

I plan to blow 'em up one by one!

But they are pretty robust parts.

And no more getting stuck in 6th when stopping.

Attachments

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
i was thinking that too. one of those tanks like EZR uses would look good on that bike.

I like EZR's work a lot but every time I see a bike with a plastic tank on the front I am a bit bothered by it.

Have you ever noticed that most serious bike accidents are front end collisions? Someone pulls out of a side lane in front of the bike with no time to stop or someone opens a door into the bike lane etc. An accident that you might have normally walked away from becomes a very different thing when a plastic container of fuel is the first thing to be crushed between the bike and the obstacle.

Great looking bike btw!

i-paint

May 24, 2008
Nice! I have a six speed with a 70CC on the Pulse-Kettler bike in the pictures section. I have been looking at the Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub. Steel or aluminum? Is this the strongest internal hub you think?

AlphaLlama

Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, Cali
I haven't even finished my first bike yet but is has been a long labor of love and I can't
imagine having it stolen...my condolences. I am not ready for one yet but I was wondering where you bought your shifter kit and how much it cost? I saw one on ebay for over 400.00 US and that seems a bit spendy to me. They sure seem cool though...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I haven't even finished my first bike yet but is has been a long labor of love and I can't
imagine having it stolen...my condolences. I am not ready for one yet but I was wondering where you bought your shifter kit and how much it cost? I saw one on ebay for over 400.00 US and that seems a bit spendy to me. They sure seem cool though...
$400? Do you have a link to the eBay auction?

They are $219 delivered in the USA: Welcome to Sick Bike Parts

Top sponsor in red on your left:ride:

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
laff I noticed he didn't reply. hah I think he said shift kits were $400 so he could convince himself they were out of reach therefore a good excuse to do nothing.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm trying to figure out why your mountain bike looks so cool to me. It must be the springer seat mounted low in combination with a drop handlebar stem from a road bike.
Nicely done.