Sealing between carb and intake manifold

GoldenMotor.com

Courtney Hook

Aug 24, 2008
:(I sprayed WD40 where the carb mounts into the intake manifold on my 80CC China engine, and the motor revved way up, indicating an airleak. I have tried to tighten this down before, but it appears to be a tough one to seal, as it is still sucking air. Has anyone got any suggestions as to a good way to seal here? I'm thinking a thin film of Hi-temp sealant? I have an o-ring that sits perfectly inside the intake manifold against the little lip there. I'm thinking that along with the sealant might make for an airtight seal. Anyone got a surefire sealing method? I've tightened the screw and nut clamp as tight as I'm prepared to do it; anymore feels like it'll strip.
Thanks,
Courtney
(p)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah that little clamp sucks. I use some orange RTV sealant. Does the trick...just don't use too much. I also use it on both sides of my intake and exhaust gaskets.

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
Courtney Hook of the infamous Vintage VW list ?? Is that you? Once an air cooled engine fanatic always an AC engine fanatic.

John Virginillo over on the mainland here.....

Did you finally sell that Beetle I was talking to you about a few years ago? The Green one?

Cheers.

Courtney Hook

Aug 24, 2008
Courtney Hook of the infamous Vintage VW list ?? Is that you? Once an air cooled engine fanatic always an AC engine fanatic.

John Virginillo over on the mainland here.....

Did you finally sell that Beetle I was talking to you about a few years ago? The Green one?

Cheers.
The same John. :) Do you have one of these too? Yes I still have the green standard bug, plus a white one, and a Westy campervan. Too many toys. :)

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
Did I hear that right? VW powered airplane? Saw one of these parked on the ground at our local airshow. Very cool...... Magneto and special carbs correct? Exhaust is just open pipes?

I still have all my VW parts waiting for my next project. probably when the kids move out this time though. Might do a Porsche Roadter kit on VW pan or Karman Ghia with 2100 cc this time.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Well sort of, dual ignition, fuel injected and 4 into 1 exhaust, bored and stroked 1600 into a 2180cc. Wood and fiberglass going fast on low horsepower.

click on my link you will see a bug going over 200mph.
click on my homebuilt airplane and watch the u-tube video

Last edited:

Courtney Hook

Aug 24, 2008
A 2180? I've got a 2276 sitting on my bench right now in pieces, never assembed. I kind of lost interest in it as I've gotten a little older. Custom ported heads, 44idf's many many parts. Since I bought my Westy, I've kind of parked my bugs.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm not too hot on the o-ring thing. Those can get loose on go through the engine it may go through with no problem or tear things up. my 2-cents.
norman

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I'm not too hot on the o-ring thing. Those can get loose on go through the engine it may go through with no problem or tear things up. my 2-cents.
norman
I suppose if you use a half assed ill fitting o-ring that could happen. The correct size o-ring made out of the correct material isn't going anywhere.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Silicone works, just kinda messy when you want to do the on-off thing with the carb......

We have a just right size o-ring - because as you said if it is too fat, the 4 slots are open worser than before. I've been running one for months with no leaks, sir!

Norm? Norm? Where did you go? :ride:rotfl