Scrap Metal Fender

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So I went for a ride the other night and ran through some muddy water on the street. When I got home I saw the carb, air cleaner, rear of the engine and my butt covered in a muddy mess. Now if it was a hot rod I wouldn't have given it a thought because, "Real Hot Rods Don't Have Fenders" or as it says on my license plate frame, "If God Had Wanted Hot Rods to Have Fenders, You Wouldn't Have To Bolt Them On." But it ain't a hot rod and I don't think spraying muddy water down the carb is a good idea so I built this from some scrap sheetmetal. Took about two hours and it does what it's designed to do.
I used a metal that sheetmetal guys refer to as 'Paint-Loc'. It's actually galvanized but has an electrically applied primer that will take paint. It's 18 gage and sturdy enough and attached securely so there is no rattle, vibration or shaking. The photos explain the rest.
PS. Yes, I'm going to paint it, black, but it's about 18 degrees outside today and I can't spray paint in the garage. (Good way to get divorced when your wifes car shares your work space) I'll leave it grey until warmer weather.
Tom

Attachments

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
Nice job 2door I'm thinking of something similar on my bike except I will be using a brass kick plate for my fenders and stainless rod for the struts I want something a little more flashy. My bike is still on paper at the moment but soon as the funds become available the build will start and I will take photos for everyone as I go going to be a custom Schwinn

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Classy addition there 2door. But if you lived up here in the PNW you would have made a front one also because it can cause just as much damage, plus shoot water right up in your face which is not good either. You can get away without fenders on a car because they are not inline with your body, nor the engine, but on a bike or motorcycle they are the shiznit and can be used as a style point also. I have wood fenders on my pedal bike and plan on using them on future MAB's also.
View attachment 5218

They are made by a buy named Cody in Bend, OR. Woodys Custom Cycling Fenders

I know the price is pretty steep and that your fix is just as good functionally and way cheaper but sometimes you just have to do what you feel is right.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Classy addition there 2door. But if you lived up here in the PNW you would have made a front one also because it can cause just as much damage, plus shoot water right up in your face which is not good either. You can get away without fenders on a car because they are not inline with your body, nor the engine, but on a bike or motorcycle they are the shiznit and can be used as a style point also. I have wood fenders on my pedal bike and plan on using them on future MAB's also.
View attachment 5218

They are made by a buy named Cody in Bend, OR. Woodys Custom Cycling Fenders

I know the price is pretty steep and that your fix is just as good functionally and way cheaper but sometimes you just have to do what you feel is right.
Mab,
I was just sitting in the garage looking at the bike and decided to start on the front fender tomorrow. Too bad I don't have access to an English Wheel. I could do some neat Swoopy-Curvy fenders but the flat stock serves the purpose for now. I'm anxious to get some paint on it but its just too cold right now even with a heated garage. I'll wait for a warm day and shoot it black. By that time I'll have the front one done and I'll do them both. I'll post pix of the finished project. Those woody fenders are beautiful but a little out of my price range and I'd be afraid of scratching them anyway:)
Tom

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've thought about making fiberglass fenders but that is as far as I got could use a metal fender as a mold and use carbon fibers for the braces on the front. I like your metal fender should be easy to make I've seen a heavy plastic somewhere at a store that I thought man that would make a good fender but I can't remember where I saw it.
Norman

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I thought about making some fiberglass fenders too, but I'm lazy and for $18 a set of fenders isn't too bad. They're made out of a tough polycarbonate. I'll have to watch the front mount, but it seems pretty sturdy.