Schwinn Meridian and gasbike Adult Tricycle

Discussion in 'Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles' started by Kletus, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Kletus

Kletus Member

Finished my trike and rode it about a half mile today. Now I realize that this is not like some of the fabulous builds I see on this site but I don't have a welder or machine tools and wouldn't know how to use them if I had them. Next time I won't buy a kit I will buy the parts from vendors that have customer service. I'm still waiting on my son to get my crank arms bent for my 79cc monster (LOL) bike. Pictures won't upload because their about 8 megabytes.

#1 Kletus, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Kletus

Kletus Member

#2 Kletus, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Kletus

Kletus Member

The trike went together in about 2 hours with no problem. I bought it online from Walmart because of their return policy and free shipping. The problems I encountered with the kit install were #1, gasbike sent me the wrong size clutch, 5/8 bore should be 3/4" bore for the 212cc engine, couldn't get a hold of their customer service dept. to get it rectified so I had to stand the cost and buy the right size.. #2, after hack sawing off the u bolts even with the nuts the engine still hit the 2 bolts that attach the engine mount to the frame. the remedy this I put spacers between the engine and engine mount. #3, two of the 1/2" engine mount bolts were restricted by the part of the frame the engine mount sits on. To remedy this I used high tensile 3/8" bolts. #4 Last but not least. I liked to have never got that CNC pineapple sprocket mount wobble and hop acceptable. Even after that it still moves around when tapped with a plastic mallet however under power it doesn't seem to move and I really poured the coals to it from a dead stop several times. I temporarily left the left rear fender off to make sure the drive chain didn't eat it if it came off. Things left to do: windshield,head light, mirrors and half link for drive chain as it is a little bit to loose. I tried a 79cc predator with this and it was a real dog. Probably needed a bigger rear sprocket instead of the supplied 44 tooth. You really need to pedal a little to get it off the line but after that it has all kinds of power although it is kind of squirrely being driven by only one rear wheel. It goes a hellova lot faster than I'll ever ride it, different story for the bike though.

#3 Kletus, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good Kletus, great job (^)

5. Kletus

Kletus Member

Thanks Dave. Took it out last night about 5 miles. Got it up to 35mph on a straight stretch. The engine just lopes along. Probably could go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket if you want standing starts. Reminds me of my old Allstate motor scooter I used to ride in the mid 50"s.l

6. indian22

indian22 Active Member

First of all great looking build! Old guy to old guy you are more correct than you know about the handling. Slow is really good and take corners twice as slow as you feel you should take them. One wheel driven & super high center of gravity on this one. Have fun and enjoy the slow...Rick C.

7. mogollonmonster

Slow, easy. Your not as young as me no more. **** you've probably turned my age twice! I implore you, do not meet the pavement friend. That hurts at any age! Stay safe and enjoy the scenery. Be sure to follow the other stereotypes, like leaving your turn signal on and other fun stuff you're allowed to get away with now... Like forgetting your robe when you fetch the paper... In the buff lol! I can't wait to try that one myself. Like I said, be safe, you guys got to stick around and show us young bucks how it's done.

8. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

You guys got to stick around and show us young bucks how it's done. LOL Got four bucks and they still don't to dad, age 50 and up.

My opinion the trikes are made for bike trails and the rear is to narrow and to far back past the original axle center line. Ok for pedales, but for motors you need wider rear tread, for stability. Just like motorcycle trikes or the old Orient, that they used to race.........Curt