Roll Your Own CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Are You Going to Roll Your Own CDI?

• Total voters

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Thank you -can you post a pic like that of one that would work for me-I can't read schematics if you could I would be vary thankful
Go ahead and build the simple CDI and give it a whirl, see how it works for you. You can add an RC network later for adjusting the timing.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
Go ahead and build the simple CDI and give it a whirl, see how it works for you. You can add an RC network later for adjusting the timing.
Ya that's a starting point-I'm running with a reed and a higher compression heed and expansion chamber some retard would be a GOOD thing-I guess no retard is better then too much advance-I'll try to find a pic of a RC network in the earlier thread posts thank you rohmell

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I will. I figured out the value as soon as I realized it was a grey band and not white. I didn't get my PCB yet (universal) but I'm thinking of trying the "pill bottle" method first. That and I'm impatient. Anyway, if I don't get too distracted tonight, I'll try to put one together and maybe even test it tomorrow. Now to find a pill bottle or other ingenious container....

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
I got this ignition coil for free, will it work with a jaguar "homemade" setup?
That's for a car don't know if a HT could energize the primary in a coil that big-cars are 12v.and have much more amps. I wouldn't run it for long if it did work it could burn out your cdi I would think.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Ignition coils designed for cars will work, I am currently using an ignition coil from a Z31 300ZX with my CDI.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Rohmell, could you send me schematic of what I need to build?
Can you send me a list of parts too?

Are these parts available at Fry's electronics?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
There are schematics and parts lists all over this thread, and PCB layouts, too. I don't know if Fry's carries everything that you need, but there are links to eBay listings for SCRs and capacitors that might be hard to find locally.

Last edited:

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
This is what i got for free. Rohmell confirmed that it will be good to use.

BTW, What is the difference between stock black box and this, or any aftermarket, CDI?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
For a retard circuit, you would need a capacitor along with a resistor. The resistor would slow down the charging rate (delay) of the capacitor, until it reached the proper voltage for firing the SCR. The slowing down of the charging rate/delay would cause the timing retardation that you are looking for.