Riding in the hood.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now I know the ultimate is to take the cross country trip on a motored bike, One that you build yourself but the truth is I like to ride any chance I get. At the moment it is dead of winter. Even with global warming it cuts the ride times down pretty low. Then to I am still breaking in the bike, and don't have full confidence in it yet.

So it's ride around the neighborhood so that I can push it home or pedal it back if I have to. I'm sure you all can relate. Today it is supposed to snow but it hit my minimum temperature level before the snow began so off I went.

I probably rode five miles or less but in a new area. One I hadn't even driven a car into. I found out a few things. One there are still loose dogs in this city (not a good thing). And there are a lot of kids on real bikes who stare wide eyed and open mouthed at the sissy schwinn. It is small enough that they can probably see themselves on it.

Cars are interesting. They either don't see me or disregard me as a pedal biker who will stop for them, no matter who has the right of way. They are right, I will stop for anyone in a car. It just isn't as easy as they seem to think. I once rode motorcycles as well. That was in my misspent youth by the way. And yes cars did exactly the same things to me then.

When I started to ride powered bikes, it was electric. I bought a pair of knit gloves so that I could feel the control switch. I don't need that much feel now and they let the cold air stream in. I am going to have to get a canvas or leather outer shell for my hands. I had to come home because my thumbs began to ache from he cold.

Still I went out, rode the bike, and got home without being killed. I would call that a successful ride. Oh yeah and I don't have to fix anything on the bike either.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'll see what I can find thanks for the tip. Funny I don't get cold too many places riding just my fingers at the moment. I have been wearing a knit watch cap under my helmet and that works pretty well.

Of course my nose runs constantly... isn't that an attractive visual

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The weather isn't going to cooperate for a real ride today, but I finally have the throttle installed correctly. God I am such an idiot. I think I will test ride (one block with a hill) regardless. I'm going to try to wait until at least the temp is 35 degrees. Less than my required 40 but should be doable for a short test ride.

Oh I found the replacement e clip for the carb needle at automotive fasteners. They specialize in bolts and such. Guy went right to it. It is smaller than the original so I had to make an alum washer to put under the steel washer that holds the needle in place. The clip is large enough not to slide through the hole in the throttle cylinder just small enough to slip through the retainer clip I also had to make. I am going to have one cobbled throttle system but it should work just fine.

I really wish I could do a real five or ten mile ride today but it will have to wait a few more days.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Kids watching are the best....mouth open, jaw on the ground! My 9 y.o. daughter was helping me yesterday and she was real proud of her dad and his bike....when I got it running!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i always have the neighborhood kids wanting to ride mine. the older ones i would let drive the electric one but the gas one no way. to fast and someone could easily get badly hurt or killed on it. what i always find funny is adults make coments about helmit however with kids it is the right thing to do

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To be honest on the electric i found the helmet a pain. On the gas when it was running like crap, i didn't change my mind. today when I saw what it would do with less than full throttle on the flats, I decided, "Yeah helmet."

At that moment I only had on my knit watch cap cause it looked so cool lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Two months ago on a Sunday morning I was going to ride my ebike down the bike path. I put it on the back of my car headed off for the park where the bike path begins. There were police cars at every intersection. They all let me pass so I pretty much ignored them. When I got to the entrance of the park there was yet another car.

I asked what happened and was told that someone had been robbed and they were looking for the robber. I asked if it was okay to ride, and was assured that it was fine.

I read about the incident in the paper a few days later. A hicker on THAT same path had been robbed at knife point. There was a tussle because he didn't want to give up his money. The thief got away. I thought to myself on reading that. why did the cop tell me it was safe to ride that bike trail when the guy was still around. When that passed I began to wonder how often crimes like that happen on the bike/ walking trail.

That night I began to think seriously that I am no longer in shape to duke it out with some kid over a few bucks. It still goes against my grain to meekly give up money to a thug. What I did was to salt my wallet and take all the good stuff out.

I left a twenty dollar bill in it, then took out my driver's license, credit card, ATM card, and social security card. I made a smaller case from some leather I had around and then stuffed it in my change pocket along with my real money. So now when I go out just to ride, I leave that card case with the cash home and carry the wallet with minimum ID and just a little bit of cash.

Heck I look like a derelict anyway no one would bother to rob me but if they did they get nothing of importance. Of course they will know who my plumber is since his business card is there.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i keep that mace stuff for crazy dogs with me. a spray of that in thier eyes will drop them to their knees fast

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If you look crazy and act crazy then people will leave you alone.rotfl
If they don't I carry a little something for them as well but I'd realy hate to have to use it. Its a good idea to carry a little bait and not your wad. Throw the bait and beat it or them when they bend over to pick it up.
Enough this makes me mad thinking about someone robbing or harming us just for a few lousy bucks.:-||
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To be honest it never occurred to me till that morning. Some guy actually waited for a walke, who probably was in a sweat suit with no wallet anyway. But then if he had any brains he would have a job i guess.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is wet, cold and foggy this morning but they promise a better day later. I hope to ride the Sissy Schwinn with the stock 24" wheel today, then take it apart to replace it with the 20" one I just bought.

Oh I didn't tell you yet. I stopped by the thrift store and bought a 20 inch bike. It has all those girlie stickers, but I just want the wheels and chain. I might use the crank or even the handlebars for other bikes. The $2.50 price is a bargain.

The front wheel matches one I have from a previous purchase. The bike I bought for the crank set because the pedal throw of my big huffy was uncomfortably high. Anyway now I have two 20" front wheels for bike trailers.

I have a rear wheel with coaster brake for the rear of the gasoline bike. And a chain and handle bar set to use for future projects. I love thrift store bikes.

Usually I repack the bearings before I use them. Probably they have been stored outside for a long period of time. Otherwise the bike is about half the price of an inner tube.

I'm curious to see how the motor sprocket will bolt up on the small wheel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I rode the bike more today than all the other times since i bought it combined. It ran very well for quite some time. Then I put it away to visit with my wife over her lunch hour. I went back out hooked up my newest trailer to test drive it, and wouldn't you know it the darn thing got a flat within a mile.

I came home and modified the trailer a little to make it pull better I hope. I was pulling it empty which is not the best way to test one. I am going to have to put some weight on it next time. The one I was testing has bike tires from a kiddie bike so it is very light weight. I have one with lawnmower tires which is very stable even empty.

At this moment the decision is do I put a tube in the back tire of the bike or wait and get a tube for the new tire and wheel I plan to install. I might as well pull the wheel that is there just once is my thinking.

It is just a guess but I think the motor chain will be good to go, but the pedal chain will be too long. Pedal sprocket is smaller than the one on the bike now. This may all be for nothing but I will see when I get a tube for the feminine looking white wheel and tire.

Oh by the way, I had someone try to buy the bike as I rode in the hood. I explained all about it but I think the guy just wants to ride not build a bike. Oh well I'm going to listen to my wife and not build for anyone else even though Norman has taught me enough to at least install the motor correctly.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
beauty of the wheel....

I bought a girls 20" bike yesterday for the wheels. So last night I moved the rear engine sprocket to the 20" wheel. I had about five inches on each side when I finished. I also had a bad inner tube I thought. Then when I took it out, I did have one. The old pinched tube trick.

One neg on the wheel was that it was painted white. The regular sissy wheel is chrome. I had a choice paint the sissy wheel white or paint the new wheel chrome. I knew I wanted to change the front fender and tank so I went with a can of chrome paint.

I shot the wheel then the tank and fender. Of course I couldn't stand to wait for it to cure to ride it, so now when it cures I get to repaint it. Oh well I got to ride it with the 20" wheel which what this is about.

I am not into speed that much more into not having to work too hard. The first thing I noticed about the new setup is that its easier to reach the pedals. Much more comfortable. I already had a twenty inch bike sprocket and pedals on the front so it is just a stretched out 20" bike with a little more height.

I'm not sure schwinn would claim it now. I had the basic sissy schwinn frame. It also has the china motor, high bars from an even small child's bike, a broom stick for a bar across the top to hold the gas tank, and a white rear tire. All in all a misbegotten step child for sure.

So the big question is how does it run. On the flat I didn't open it full. I got it to a little over 15mph and backed off. However on the hills, it climbs like a goat. It will actually accelerated while in the middle of a steep hill. That's what I wanted all along. I think it will pull a trailer as well. I am going to have to test that one day soon. All in all I approve of the bike. The chain is going to need adjusting a dozen times before it is right but what else would I expect.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
beauty of the wheel....

I bought a girls 20" bike yesterday for the wheels. So last night I moved the rear engine sprocket to the 20" wheel. I had about five inches on each side when I finished. I also had a bad inner tube I thought. Then when I took it out, I did have one. The old pinched tube trick.

One neg on the wheel was that it was painted white. The regular sissy wheel is chrome. I had a choice paint the sissy wheel white or paint the new wheel chrome. I knew I wanted to change the front fender and tank so I went with a can of chrome paint.

I shot the wheel then the tank and fender. Of course I couldn't stand to wait for it to cure to ride it, so now when it cures I get to repaint it. Oh well I got to ride it with the 20" wheel which what this is about.

I am not into speed that much more into not having to work too hard. The first thing I noticed about the new setup is that its easier to reach the pedals. Much more comfortable. I already had a twenty inch bike sprocket and pedals on the front so it is just a stretched out 20" bike with a little more height.

I'm not sure schwinn would claim it now. I had the basic sissy schwinn frame. It also has the china motor, high bars from an even small child's bike, a broom stick for a bar across the top to hold the gas tank, and a white rear tire. All in all a misbegotten step child for sure.

So the big question is how does it run. On the flat I didn't open it full. I got it to a little over 15mph and backed off. However on the hills, it climbs like a goat. It will actually accelerated while in the middle of a steep hill. That's what I wanted all along. I think it will pull a trailer as well. I am going to have to test that one day soon. All in all I approve of the bike. The chain is going to need adjusting a dozen times before it is right but what else would I expect.
When I brought up this picture old Rufus(my cat) took one look jumped up off my lap and I haven't seen his since. Yea its different.now I got to go doctor the claw marks

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It might not be purdy but it's paid for. and blame yourself it runs to. I have a deal with the bike shop owner He will sell me a black tire for the rear if I come for the tire in my car.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You know I started riding an electric bike. One that I built with a scooter motor and a piece of pipe for a drive wheel. I have fond memories of that but there is something about the roar of these engines, and the feel of the bike when it is running right that is so much more satisfying. I have my bike set up to keep the speed down so it isn't that. It's the noise and the uncertainty of it all. The bike might take you home or you might take it home kind of feel about it all. I guess I will trust it more as I go along but for now even that is a kind of neat feeling.

I would like to say I'll be riding the electric one again soon, but I don't know that I will. It might just lose it's place in the easy access shed and wind up indoors where it is ten times harder to get it outside to ride.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The thought of a grown man riding that bike through my hood is stinking hilarious!!!! I think the white tire is...........striking.

Seriously, takes a set of cajones to ride that without some big red shoes and...........a clown outfit.

All in good fun!! :lol: rotfl(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Like I said the bike shop guy said he would sell me a black tire cheap if I did NOT ride the bike in to pick it up.

Oh heck guys it's a SISSY schwinn to begin with lol... I think it looks alot like the old babe on Murder She Wrote in the opening shot.