Ride at night

GoldenMotor.com

BCD

Aug 8, 2008
Do any of you ride at night? If so, what lighting systems do you use (off the mageneto, old school generator, battery)? wouldn't it be cool to put HID's on a bike ^5...

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
NO, our mommies only let us ride in the daytime and only on our block.
One of our most respected members, NORMAN has a Killer light that will work on the white wire of the mag. He is the one to give you the details.
We all work together to form a super database of skills and help! That's why WE rock! (c)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Trying to earn my keep. I went a wal-mart and went down the wrong isle. Crafts are on the isle. They have several plastic pot looking things that look more like a bullet than a pot. Make a fairly good light when combined with Norman's Bulbs and the wal-mart flashlight. whole thing is 5.00 + tax.
Normans light bulbs are extra. Can't remember what he charges but they rock! Tech tip. Those steel bookshelf brackets .99 at home depot and a hose clamp make a great headlight bracket to mount on the crown of the bike. Painted the whole thing looks ok. Sure beats slamming a dumpster at midnight. rotfl

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I have 2 cheapie 9 LED lights and a cheap a$$ light kit strapped to the front of my bike. the cheapie LEDs light my way well and make me quite visible. The cheapie light kit I bought wasn't worth $25. I should have taken a twenty and a five and used it for TP for all the kit is worth. The ONLY good thing about it is that it has a loud horn- kid you not thing is piercing and annoying.

jg767

May 28, 2008
I went walmart and got a pair of 55w halogen lights for $14.88 and a 12volt 8 amp battery for $43, IT WORKS EXCELLENT. I also bought a 2amp automatic charger, so far I've used the lights for 30 minutes at a time with only 25 percent discharge. I can see very good with it , I decrease my speed to about twenty MPH for safety, I also use a planet blinky tailight, very highly rated. I feel as safe as daytime driving, as I am very visilble with this setup. As long as the battery is not discharged over 50 percent, it should hold up well. This sure beats spending 2 or 3 hundred bucks on those fancy systems you see out there!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I currently use the Bell headlight/taillight combo you can get at wallyworld for 15 bucks. The headlight kind of sucks really, but the taillight works.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
I went walmart and got a pair of 55w halogen lights for $14.88 and a 12volt 8 amp battery for $43, IT WORKS EXCELLENT. I also bought a 2amp automatic charger, so far I've used the lights for 30 minutes at a time with only 25 percent discharge. I can see very good with it , I decrease my speed to about twenty MPH for safety, I also use a planet blinky tailight, very highly rated. I feel as safe as daytime driving, as I am very visilble with this setup. As long as the battery is not discharged over 50 percent, it should hold up well. This sure beats spending 2 or 3 hundred bucks on those fancy systems you see out there!
I've got a similar setup but with a bigger battery. How did you mount your lights.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Started with a foglight set-up and LED tailight from Harbor freight $15. A scooter battery from batteries plus $30. and also use a battery tender.
Haven't ridden too far at night yet to see how long it lasts.

Attachments

jg767

May 28, 2008
I mounted one 55w halogen at the center pull mount on my front fork, fits perfectly.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Depends on the Manufacture. Some mags put out more than others. The magnetos on my engines typically put out more that others. I have had good luck with 7.5v .5Amp bulbs. Enjoy the ride...

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
I have put the bike away for the winter, but would like a sturdy, "Cheap" light set up when I bring the bike out in the spring. I often ride to work in the dark, so I got a plastic battery light set up from the hardware store [not that cheap]. It lasted a week before it broke off. I pull over when a car comes, and the shoulder of the road is rough. Any sugestions?

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Hi Chitty, fellow Canadian!! Ok go to Princess Auto and pick up a couple of very small sealed lead acid batteries 12V 3.6A/H.($7 each.)(princess Auto #8231789)Pick up a couple of the cheap 55 watt driving lights (dont have the #). Find a way to mount 1 or both lights on your handlebar,I used a small aluminum bracket, and find a place for the battery,I mounted it under my seat,wire it directly using small alligator clips. Now light up the night!!!It is so powerful it blinds oncoming traffic, so you need to adjust the beam down a bit, it lights up the road 100 feet ahead of you. Mac

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
There is also a way to use a 6v battery for all your power, and add a rectifying diode (i think) to the output of the white wire and use it to trickle-charge the battery. There's a recent post somewhere on here about that.

I do want to get some lights though.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Yes true, but 6 volts is not enough power for me, thats the amount of light power that the cheapo Bell lights from walmart produce 4X1.5 volt AA batteries.I like the easy wiring up of a powerful 12 volt light to a tiny 12 volt battery, gives me 1 1/2 hours of light thats more than enough for my night rides. Thats why you need 2 batteries, that now gives you 3 hours of light.
Also no hassles with diodes,rectifiers and fancy wiring. just my opinion..I like to see and be seen at night and this blazes a path in front.