Replacing Spark Plug Boot and Wire part detail.

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I know I am just missing the post for this, I tried the search but could not find anything exact on info. What I am trying to do is replace the spark plug wire. I found the post on how to remove the old one by digging out the wire from the CDI (for mine which was glued in). So, the point I am at now is that I have a clean screw waiting for a new wire and boot. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand and or specific wire and boot. I have a NAPA, Autozone and Pep boys close so that should not be an issue. I just do not want to replace it with one that can damage the Magneto. Also does any one know if they sell single wire and boots. I have two motorized bikes that both need one and I have read that one specific wire from a set will do both. Thanks in advance for the help.:-||

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
I think Napa will sell to a single... I know for a fact they carry just the wire & ends at Napa, buy a couple angled plug heads and 4 feet of wire, so you can make 2 long custom ones...
Napa carries all kinds of small engine parts...

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I went to NAPA last week and they said they did not have anything that would screw into a 7 mm wire and I was not sure about the technical information on what is neede (low resistance wire?). That is what I am trying to figure out more of the technical info for someone at a parts store that is clueless with out it. I think ideal is a copper wire but I am not sure if that is it or how important those details really are. One post on here said pull one out of the trash can out front and you'd be fine.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Does any one have a brand or preference that works better than others? If I only need to replace the boot that is possible. I have another CDI that the boot popped off of a week after I replaced that one as well.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I get mine free from the junkyard. They are laying around everywhere.
Look for solid copper wire if possible, but any automotive wire will work.
I've used every type of car wire and never had any cdi issues, or noticed any difference in performance.
ANYthing is better than the stock china crapola that comes in the kit.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Does any one have a brand or preference that works better than others? If I only need to replace the boot that is possible. I have another CDI that the boot popped off of a week after I replaced that one as well.
here's the wire I use: https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/spark-plug-wire-011141.p2021.prd/2021.sku

and here's the boot I use: https://www.denniskirk.com/ngk/lzfh-spark-plug-cap.p200279.prd/200279.sku

these work well for me

solid core copper wire & zero resistance boots that are same size as china kits (but none have ever broken)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I go to my local NAPA for parts, they usually have the items I need.

You need a length of 8mm coil wire (the wire that goes to the center of the distributor), and an 8mm plug boot or two. While at it, grab a couple of NGK B5HS or B6HS spark plugs.

It would also be a good idea to grab a few feet of 1/4" ID fuel line and some hose clamps (I use 4 per build, 1@petcock, 1 each side of fuel filter, 1 at the carb).

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I went to the junk yard today and picked up some wires with boots. For some reason I thought what I needed was 7mm. The wire has print on the side saying 7mm bilden premium cale SAE 10 / MAX PROTECTION MAX POWER. It was pretty easy switching the wire and boot to the CDI. The thing I am wondering is, is a 7mm wire a problem? I took it for a quick test spin and it back fired twice. I have had the bike back fire twice in two months with the stock cdi with boots and wires. I am just wondering if what I picked up can cause damage and if the back fire is from something seperate and if so what is up with that.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
backfire thru the muffler is most often a loss of spark for a few beats - thru the carb is likely timing

neither of these are strict rules tho

7mm is what I use, but I don't use resistor wire or boots or plugs

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let's clear the air here.
The kit supplied spark plug wire has a solid metallic core. It is either copper or steel wire. Yes, it is true that the outer layer, or insulator, is of poor quality and prone to cracking and allowing current to 'leak' or jump to a grounded surface. Nevertheless the conductor, or core wire is better than what you'll get from most auto parts stores or even the junk yards today because most of what you'll find is resistance wire. The automobile factories started using resistance wire TVRS, back in the late 60s to reduce electrical interference with radios. Later cars rely on it to eliminate electrical interference with sensitive electronics such as the computers all cars today rely on.

The chinese 2 stroke engines are not equipped with high voltage ignition systems. Any resistance between the voltage source, the CDI, and the spark plug will reduce the voltage needed to arc, or make a spark to ignite the fuel charge in the cylinder.

Resistance wire, of any brand, is made to work with ignition systems that produce several times the voltage produced by the CDI which comes with the engine kits.
Yes, it is true that some so called 'high performance' ignition wire will work and even the wire you get from the auto parts stores, will work. But, it only takes a good ohm meter to measure the difference in resistance between a solid metallic conductor and a wire made for today's cars to see the difference.

I want every volt produced by the CDI to go to my plugs and not be wasted by trying to squeeze through a cotton string impregnated with carbon before it gets there.
If I was running a high performance automotive ignition system that produced several hundred thousand volts I might consider using resistance wire. However I am relying on a simple and cheaply made ignition system, the CDI, to fire my plugs and I give them all the help I can.
Copper core wire, soldered to the spark plug connector and securely screwed into the CDI is what I recommend. Anything else is a compromise.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Let's clear the air here.
The kit supplied spark plug wire has a solid metallic core. It is either copper or steel wire. Yes, it is true that the outer layer, or insulator, is of poor quality and prone to cracking and allowing current to 'leak' or jump to a grounded surface. Nevertheless the conductor, or core wire is better than what you'll get from most auto parts stores or even the junk yards today because most of what you'll find is resistance wire. The automobile factories started using resistance wire TVRS, back in the late 60s to reduce electrical interference with radios. Later cars rely on it to eliminate electrical interference with sensitive electronics such as the computers all cars today rely on.

The chinese 2 stroke engines are not equipped with high voltage ignition systems. Any resistance between the voltage source, the CDI, and the spark plug will reduce the voltage needed to arc, or make a spark to ignite the fuel charge in the cylinder.

Resistance wire, of any brand, is made to work with ignition systems that produce several times the voltage produced by the CDI which comes with the engine kits.
Yes, it is true that some so called 'high performance' ignition wire will work and even the wire you get from the auto parts stores, will work. But, it only takes a good ohm meter to measure the difference in resistance between a solid metallic conductor and a wire made for today's cars to see the difference.

I want every volt produced by the CDI to go to my plugs and not be wasted by trying to squeeze through a cotton string impregnated with carbon before it gets there.
If I was running a high performance automotive ignition system that produced several hundred thousand volts I might consider using resistance wire. However I am relying on a simple and cheaply made ignition system, the CDI, to fire my plugs and I give them all the help I can.
Copper core wire, soldered to the spark plug connector and securely screwed into the CDI is what I recommend. Anything else is a compromise.

Tom
While I use whatever wire I find on my stuff, 2door is absolutely correct here. That's why I stated solid wire is best.
If you want the best possible spark, use solid wire and add a better boot.
BUT...like I also stated, I have used just about every wire you can think of(including house wiring!) and have been unable to see any difference in performance due to resistance wire.
But then again, I seem to be relatively immune to the usual china doll failures so far. *knocks on wood*
Follow 2doors advice over mine unless you are really, REALLY cheap.

Last edited: