Reliable gas tank replacement

GoldenMotor.com

Khalil Brooks

May 10, 2020
My stock tank is leaking.....I tried to fix it with a sealing kit but I didn’t get it 100% plugged. I’m wondering if there are other options people use or know about. I’d rather something sturdy and gonna last a while and dodge buying another of these things with their weird welds

Khalil Brooks

May 10, 2020
do you know the diameter of the petcock in the stock tank? I’m thinking in the meantime using some HDPE plastic container for a week or so and I don’t wanna mess up my one makeshift opportunity

Reactions: fasteddy

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can't answer that, but you could measure yours. A lot of hardware stores, or maybe Home Depot/Lowe's/Tractor Supply have a thread guage in the hardware dept. Use it to determine the thread pitch, and type/size.

Reactions: fasteddy

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Or buy a can of reliable tank sealer, such as POR15, and slosh it round the inside of your tank to seal any leak(s). I've done this on two home made tanks and can't see how this would fail.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The stock tanks are inexpensive & can be last forever without cracks or leaks if you install it carefully.

Use some double sided tape on the top tube of the frame (to keep the tank from moving around), & also use some Loctite on the threads (so you won't need to over torque them).... The tank will be secure without stressing the mounting studs. ;)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Or buy a can of reliable tank sealer, such as POR15, and slosh it round the inside of your tank to seal any leak(s). I've done this on two home made tanks and can't see how this would fail.
I did this to the tank on a dirt bike a few years ago, the tank had pin holes and a replacement was not available. I never had a problem out of the tank.