Reed Cage Results!

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Well we finally have correct reed cage and carb combo! SCSW's R&D finally paid off! The torque the reed cage and carb (plus the tuned expansion chamber) Is a night and day difference. I thought my bike was quick but after testing the Boxer full suspension bike, I know I need one of these reed cages. From a 5 mph roll I dumped the clutch and ended up doing a 20 ft wheelie. I took some spy photos today but I can't seem to get them off of my phone. Tommarrow is another day...and I'll make sure I bring my REAL camera!

Pete

Jan 4, 2008
SoCal
20' wheelie? Better have a rear wheel laced with 12g spokes. ;)

Reeds are the way to go for a 2 smoker w/strong bottom end. A decent pipe is for the upper mid-range and top end. Looking forward to pictars.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I tried to do one today but trying to hang on to the bike and the camera during acceleration wasn't easy. Can you imagine me falling in my suit and tie! I did take pics today. They are in the picture forum!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
20' wheelie? Better have a rear wheel laced with 12g spokes. ;)
The sprocket on this machine is bolted directly to the hub.
On our other bike, we ripped the spokes out of one rim already. I'm looking to invest in titanium spokes once my rear rim takes a dump.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Sorry Red, I just noticed your post. The Cages are ready except for the reed petals. Dean has been busy working on a different project. However, he's been doing lots of R&D on the piston, head, carbs and compression. Of course the higher the compression the more bang we were getting. He's raised the compression to 140 psi which has made his test bike both reliable and fast. We've tested different ranges from140 up to 210 psi. I was really quick when it was at 210 psi but it was strecthing the head bolts.
I'll post updates on the reed cages.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
wow easy rider. sounds like you guys are going to make these little bicycle motors really fly. look forward to hearing more about what you all are doing and will have available (^)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you. look forward to seeing what you come up with. i learn something new every day from you guys and gals.(^)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm just fortunate to have a friend like Dean (owner of Pipelyne Manufactoring). He's the brains behind all the HP parts.(^)

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I know I'm bringing this thread up from the dead, but did anything come about from this reed valve project? I was looking into potentially adding a reed valve cage to my custom intake for my build and was curious if you guys ended up developing more than a prototype.

Any photos of the reed valve setup on an HT engine?