Really Dumb ?

GoldenMotor.com

vkray

Jun 26, 2020
How to use a masterlink chain tool?
I an really perperplexed as how use, I have tried to place tool into the chain to remove the master link instructions sat to squeeze together, it does not move! A lot of cussing and swearing going on right now.
WHAT TO DO??????????????????
hELP A DUMMY OUT!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Removing chain links takes getting use to, with the tool. Everything has to line up perfectly. It takes good hand strength. The tool is small and has poor leverage.

There is great frictional resistance in breaking the link's bond. Keep twisting the tool. You'll know when the pin begins to press out.

Do NOT press the pin comletely out, just enough to wiggle the lik out.
To remove links, press the pins completely out. Then connect the links and push the half-open pin closed.

Orrr, you could use a hammer and punch, and pound the pin out.

vkray

Jun 26, 2020
Removing chain links takes getting use to, with the tool. Everything has to line up perfectly. It takes good hand strength. The tool is small and has poor leverage.

There is great frictional resistance in breaking the link's bond. Keep twisting the tool. You'll know when the pin begins to press out.

Do NOT press the pin comletely out, just enough to wiggle the lik out.
To remove links, press the pins completely out. Then connect the links and push the half-open pin closed.

Orrr, you could use a hammer and punch, and pound the pin out.
Iti is the master link tool I am attempting to use! Not the chain breaker!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Maybe check out videos on Youtube. Heck I had never seen this til now. I'm old school I guess and use the type master link that has a extra thin clip that you can just use a small flat blade screw driver and a fine needle nose plyers to put on an take off. This new way maybe more substantial, but since never used it, or heard of it till checking now on the tool necessary, I can not really say. I did get just for removing links of the normal type the kind with a hand grasp that holds while turning screw and presses most the way out the pin. It is however only to remove not press back in a pin, so I use old school master link for lack of better term? When you figure it out, would be interested in what might have been the problem.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looked at video and think maybe the links adjacent or even the master link itself may be distorted bent from some damage? The video did not though address if it is not removing easily and what to do. In that case taking out the damaged area with the tool I spoke of above. Or if enough damage is noticed, replacing the chain as a whole? The tools does not have much mechanical advantage, so for me and one hand with some nerve damage, I may stick to the old school version of master links.

vkray

Jun 26, 2020
Looked at video and think maybe the links adjacent or even the master link itself may be distorted bent from some damage? The video did not though address if it is not removing easily and what to do. In that case taking out the damaged area with the tool I spoke of above. Or if enough damage is noticed, replacing the chain as a whole? The tools does not have much mechanical advantage, so for me and one hand with some nerve damage, I may stick to the old school version of master links.
Well ****!
Thank you for your responce!

vkray

Jun 26, 2020
Well i guess because i thought it would be much easier!
I sure was wrong about that. I have vision problems is why I thought it would be easier

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Reactions: Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That's why I think maybe something like the chain is damaged. If that were the case it may need the Dremel.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Old school master link you have to bend the chain or push together ( by hand not hammer )to loosen and the top link will come off easy, with screw driver, or knife blade..............Curt