Rag joint or hub adapter the only options?

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Unfortunately there has never been a good solution. The whizzer bikes did it best for the application (IMO) by adding a belt sheave to a standard rear cruiser wheel. Hub adapter on a Shimano coaster seems to be the standard for budget builds.

It seems the cheapest way to power a wheel these days with also a disc and freewheel is to go electric, with a hubmotor.

Reactions: indian22

PsychDoc

Sep 8, 2019
Psychdoc's building on a budget and there's just so much he can justify at this point. Now if he changes his mind or hits the lotto, whatever, then our likes might become his reality, but until he tells us differently the coaster brake is what will work and is hopefully in his price range.

Rick C.
Rick is correct my friends- as so many of us must. I am also working within the California legal parameters. There is a large ‘swap meet’ in San Diego this weekend- specifically for bicycles. Hopefully I will find what I need- if not I will at least come away with a $5 education. I will keep you posted.

Anyone interested in a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I believe your state laws has an automatic transmission clause. Therefore shifting is an option as long as it's done completely automatically. My bike shifts 7 gears automatically and I've been riding it for over 10 years now. Here's an auto shifter you could use with your SA 3 speed IGH.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Rick is correct my friends- as so many of us must. I am also working within the California legal parameters. There is a large ‘swap meet’ in San Diego this weekend- specifically for bicycles. Hopefully I will find what I need- if not I will at least come away with a $5 education. I will keep you posted.

Anyone interested in a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub?
I do not get California. Seems like the higher pay benefits are eaten by high taxes and legal restrictions.

Motorized Bicycles of Type CVC §406(a)

Being a little higher powered, in order for a motorized bicycle or moped to be classified as type CVC §406(a), it must:

• Have pedals for manual propulsion by the rider (unless it is powered by an electric motor.)
  • Have an automatic transmission.
  • Have a motor that produces less than 2 brake horsepower.
  • Be unable to propel itself more than 30 MPH on level ground, including with assisted pedaling.
Is a centrifugal clutch a automatic transmission? If not you only have automatic hubs and 4 stroke tav2? Most of the transmissions are single ratio centrifugal clutch.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
One can order and put a pull start and a centrifugal clutch on a china girl along with a shift kit. The Kilduff auto shifter can then be used to shift the gears automatically on the 3 speed IGH. Thus a legal loop hole. By all definitions you have an automatic transmission system.

I did the same thing using a LandRider auto shifter. However mine uses a rear freewheel instead of an IGH.

PsychDoc

Sep 8, 2019
I do not get California. Seems like the higher pay benefits are eaten by high taxes and legal restrictions.

Motorized Bicycles of Type CVC §406(a)

Being a little higher powered, in order for a motorized bicycle or moped to be classified as type CVC §406(a), it must:

• Have pedals for manual propulsion by the rider (unless it is powered by an electric motor.)
  • Have an automatic transmission.
  • Have a motor that produces less than 2 brake horsepower.
  • Be unable to propel itself more than 30 MPH on level ground, including with assisted pedaling.
Is a centrifugal clutch a automatic transmission? If not you only have automatic hubs and 4 stroke tav2? Most of the transmissions are single ratio centrifugal clutch.
Yes, CA is a mess. We are currently on fire and without power- and it is in large part due to poor governance. Highest taxes gives us th... am formulating and escape plan.

I think your description of a motorized bike is a bit old- we can actually have up to 4hp now so that’s nice. And I just had the “automatic transmission” conversation with my wife (I talked- she tried to act interested). The China girls all (mostly) have a clutch and a single speed- so is this a manual? Can I use a manual clutch with a 4stroke? Seems I can if the typical China girl does- right? It would be nice to pedal start instead of yanking a chord.

Jerry- that is slick! Beyond my scope at this point, but who knows.

Oh- the swap meet was a bust- mostly cause I didn’t know what I was looking at.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Yes, CA is a mess. We are currently on fire and without power- and it is in large part due to poor governance. Highest taxes gives us th... am formulating and escape plan.

I think your description of a motorized bike is a bit old- we can actually have up to 4hp now so that’s nice. And I just had the “automatic transmission” conversation with my wife (I talked- she tried to act interested). The China girls all (mostly) have a clutch and a single speed- so is this a manual? Can I use a manual clutch with a 4stroke? Seems I can if the typical China girl does- right? It would be nice to pedal start instead of yanking a chord.

Jerry- that is slick! Beyond my scope at this point, but who knows.

Oh- the swap meet was a bust- mostly cause I didn’t know what I was looking at.
My state Tennessee has a 50 cc limit. Therefore small engines, large people and steep hills means you must have gears. Tennessee also has an automatic transmission clause. Which is what inspired me to build my bike. Many other states go as far as saying the operator can't shift engine driven gears. Yet say nothing about gears being shifted automatically. This is a legal loop hole for the time being.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Anything with cable or lever to shift is illegal, if it works without its automatic centrifuge or CVT is automatic. Clutch and transmission are two different things a clutch can be manual. The best is just a belt tightener,

LR Jerry do you have a link to the shiftier build or do you sell them..........Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
LandRider went out of business. Brian Kilduff in California still makes his autoshifter. There's a few sponsors who sell centrifugal clutches and pull starts for the China girl 2 strokes. You can get a 2 stroke shift kit through Sick Bike Parts. The Kilduff shifter will only work with 3 or 5 speed Shimano Nexus or Sturmey Archer hubs.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Do you have a link to Brian? ........Curt
I was getting that now.

https://www.kilduffmachine.com/

He also makes another auto shifter that can switch gears on a freewheel or a cassette. He calls it the Magic Box.

Brian no longer has anything on his website about the bicycle stuff so you'll just have to call him and talk with him. I would however let him know you plan to build a motorized bicycle and need the gears to change at a higher speed.

Last edited:

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
My state Tennessee has a 50 cc limit. Therefore small engines, large people and steep hills means you must have gears. Tennessee also has an automatic transmission clause. Which is what inspired me to build my bike. Many other states go as far as saying the operator can't shift engine driven gears. Yet say nothing about gears being shifted automatically. This is a legal loop hole for the time being.
I am also in Tennessee "Fort campbell state line". As lone as you stay away from Nashville enforcement is not an issue. 6 bikes on my block alone that I know of. Cops only wanted us to have lights and ride safe under speed limit. As flat land is N/A here.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I am also in Tennessee "Fort campbell state line". As lone as you stay away from Nashville enforcement is not an issue. 6 bikes on my block alone that I know of. Cops only wanted us to have lights and ride safe under speed limit. As flat land is N/A here.
I also tell people here in most Tennessee cities as long as you obey all traffic laws that apply to motorized bicycles the police won't bother you. However in 2005 my late brother and x brother-in-law were drunk and ran into one another on a public road; both were hurt really bad and an ambulance had to be called. Luckily neither was charged with a DWI. But they were both charged with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway. The bikes were improper due to having a manual clutch and exceeding cc size. The kits were a basic 66 cc China girl kit. This happened in Knox county.

By all definitions under Tennessee law 55-8-101(35) my current bike is legal even though it shifts gears. One never knows when something could happen. If your bike isn't legal you're always riding at the risk of being fined.

Reactions: waynesdata

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I also tell people here in most Tennessee cities as long as you obey all traffic laws that apply to motorized bicycles the police won't bother you. However in 2005 my late brother and x brother-in-law were drunk and ran into one another on a public road; both were hurt really bad and an ambulance had to be called. Luckily neither was charged with a DWI. But they were both charged with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway. The bikes were improper due to having a manual clutch and exceeding cc size. The kits were a basic 66 cc China girl kit. This happened in Knox county.

By all definitions under Tennessee law 55-8-101(35) my current bike is legal even though it shifts gears. One never knows when something could happen. If your bike isn't legal you're always riding at the risk of being fined.
Think that could of been debated, as a clutch is not a transmission, but lucky to get off as easy as they did.......Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Think that could of been debated, as a clutch is not a transmission, but lucky to get off as easy as they did.......Curt
Some states go as far as to say no manual clutching. However legally the clutching system is also considered as part of the transmission system. The original reason manual clutching wasn't allowed is so multiple gears couldn't be added.

When laws were originally being written about moped and moped like vehicles the engine size and automatic transmission clauses where put in so the vehicle couldn't shift gears and thus limiting its speed. Latter simi automatics came out, so many states included in their laws levers couldn't be used by the operator to change gears. To the best of my knowledge no state yet has laws not allowing engine gears to be shifted as long as it's being done completely and totally automatically. Currently a legal loophole. Unfortunately stupid laws can take decades before they are fixed.

Last edited:

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Some states go as far as to say no manual clutching. However legally the clutching system is also considered as part of the transmission system. The original reason manual clutching wasn't allowed is so multiple gears couldn't be added.

When laws were originally being written about moped and moped like vehicles the engine size and automatic transmission clauses where put in so the vehicle couldn't shift gears and thus limiting its speed. Latter simi automatics came out, so many states included in their laws levers couldn't be used by the operator to change gears. To the best of my knowledge no state yet has laws not allowing engine gears to be shifted as long as it's being done completely and totally automatically. Currently a legal loophole. Unfortunately stupid laws can take decades before they are fixed.

Many people hate motorcycles. A motorized bike has all the issues of a motorcycle with no real added benefit. Most motorized bikes are death traps. Poorly installed trash 66cc engine "vacuum leaks, can be moved if pulled hard, poor chain alignment or chain is a danger to rider", trash for breaks, bend easy spokes, and will soon explode wheel bearing. Walmart bikes can easily get you killed with no engine at all.

The users with actual down hill or motorized bike breaks is a short list. VERY good chance less than 10% of user here have addressed every issue above.

Last edited:

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017

How is your bike with 33cc?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
How is your bike with 33cc?
It actually does pretty good. With my current gearing once I enter a 25%+ grade at a slow speed I do have to pedal assist some. In the future I plan to upgrade to a Honda GXH 50 engine. Which will give me a little more super steep hill climbing ability.