Rack Mounted Friction Drive Over Rear Tire?

GoldenMotor.com

sharak214

May 9, 2021
hi question for knowledgeable enthusiast's on this forum. i was looking at the Staton Fdr for honda 35cc,50cc or china clones since they seem noob proof and less punishing on the bike itself. the only issue I have with it is that they sit out on the side of the bike where they could get clipped by something or tip over if you have a heavier motor on it. so my question for anyone is if their is a kit or individual parts that allows the engine to sit on top of the tire (maybe bolted on top on the U bracket with staton kits) like how the rack mounted chain drives from livefast are and use a Belt or chain to turn the drive roller?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I have a Staton Inc rear rack mount which drives a shift kit. My solution was to add a one side folding kickstand, a left side basket and a long kickstand connected to the basket.
1620742982090-1081974926.jpg

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have built FDs in many configurations. Over the rear tire, over front tire, beside the rear tire, etc. Have built direct drives, belt drives with auto clutches etc. I generally use larger 4strokes. When mounted above the tire they work well, but are top heavy. Moving the engine down to a direct drive on the left reduces the top heavy feel a good bit. My oldest and favorite FD runs a 98cc Lifan direct with a scissor lift. It balances pretty well.
Using smaller engines, weight is not so much of an issue in the different mounting locations. In my opinion, a direct drive is
the holy grail of FDs as there is no drive except for the roller. Quiet, smooth, trouble free. Smaller faster turning engines work
but are generally buzzy/ noisy. A larger bore 4s turning larger roller slower is a very nice ride.
I had a Lifan 98cc powered mtn bike turning a 2.75” roller that was capable of the mid forties and was very smooth about it.
The build is in this forum archives somewhere.

BG42

Nov 13, 2021
FD is the way to go , simple, cheap and long lasting. I built a china girl, when iwas finished with it i did not even want to ride it. So miserable was the installation. Bought a FD , 20 minutes was i riding .
Now look up pulse jet, that's the other way to go