Question about usability

GoldenMotor.com

Barcelona

Apr 1, 2017
Missouri
So, I have a build planned, that will use a 500w rear motor, a 250w front motor, and a KTM50. My question is about the KTM50, since I've been reading lately and it seems like it is a complete un-tamable monster of an engine, and getting it to be able to cruise around in is difficult to say the least. So, I already have the motor controllers, and a Schwinn Swindler 275, with a few other parts, all of which were gotten for free, and I plan to use a 9 tooth front sprocket, with a 65 tooth rear sprocket, to try and make the ktm a bit more usable. I'd be able to electric motor up to speed, and then throttle the ktm into operating range for the centrifugal clutch, if I needed more speed. So since, I'd have a 9/64, would I be making too much torque for this frame? And if so, could I just get the ktm power reducer? if so, that seems like a strange set up, and I really just want something that is reliable, that also will fit in my frame. Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Just to mention, I would want to use this bike for transit, to get to and from work.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
The only thing I notice that may not be right as far as I know is...Make sure its a geared hub motor(s) as un-geared hubs they put up a lot of magnetic resistance if no power is applied. Gearless hubs become big generators.. I would just add like one 36v 350 watt front geared hub.
The geared hubs offer no rolling resistance when no power is available to the hub.
Maybe you are going to use geared e hubs but you didn't mention it. What battery are you planning on using?
zip

Reactions: Dan

Barcelona

Apr 1, 2017
Missouri
The only thing I notice that may not be right as far as I know is...Make sure its a geared hub motor(s) as un-geared hubs they put up a lot of magnetic resistance if no power is applied. Gearless hubs become big generators.. I would just add like one 36v 350 watt front geared hub.
The geared hubs offer no rolling resistance when no power is available to the hub.
Maybe you are going to use geared e hubs but you didn't mention it. What battery are you planning on using?
zip
Is this true even when regenerative braking is disabled? I was unaware of this. Anyways, I hadn't decided on a battery, just going to get one off of alibaba, but I understand that I'd need to stay within the operating limits of the battery, in order to stay safe.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I believe even with regen off there is no way to completely get rid the resistance, it may let off some but gear less hubs can't turn off permanent magnets. With geared hubs there is a lunch that disengages and the hub spins with 0 resistance . You can pm cannonball, he will be glad to offer further info. Put it this way gear less hubs are not or peddling very far so your engine will fight resistance and that's not good in my opinion. If I spin my geared hub backwards there is a lot of resistance also

Reactions: Dan

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Why not buy the afternoon market clutch for the ktm50 the tomar clutch to give you better acceleration. Also you can try just one electric hub on the front for torque instead of two just for the sake of reducing weight

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So, I have a build planned, that will use a 500w rear motor, a 250w front motor, and a KTM50. My question is about the KTM50, since I've been reading lately and it seems like it is a complete un-tamable monster of an engine, and getting it to be able to cruise around in is difficult to say the least. So, I already have the motor controllers, and a Schwinn Swindler 275, with a few other parts, all of which were gotten for free, and I plan to use a 9 tooth front sprocket, with a 65 tooth rear sprocket, to try and make the ktm a bit more usable.
Bill has his KTM tamed with the stock clutch.