problems fitting the rear sproket

GoldenMotor.com

Cuereus

Oct 20, 2012
Darwin, Australia
hi guys

im in some need of help with fitting my rear sprocket on my 2nd build. i mounted and fitted everything on my bike (Avanti blade) and i took her for a spin around the block for a test, all was good. i bought her in and i noticed the my rear wheel was rubbing against the frame. Checking over my bike i realized that the sprocket was off-center and the chain would pull it into the frame. so i have tried changing where the wheel sits but its a quick release wheels and i couldnt get it to sit still. i then tried re fitting the sprocket but it just doesnt nicely with the spokes. now I've heard you can get an adapter which fits onto the hub. but i live in Australia and i can only find one that fits a "HD hud" (im not to sure what that is but i doubt it is what im looking for. i seen one on bikeberry.com costing 72 buck and that come with a 36 th sprocket (first upgrade i'm getting). now i wouldnt mind that but i have to pay another 56 bucks to ship it here. so do any of you know of a solution to my problem or where i could get a cheaper adapter??

cheers guys

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll let the experts weigh in with suggestions for hub adapters, ect.

I will tell you not to over tighten the chain. It shouldn't pull the wheel sideways into the frame, unless your quick disconnect set up is very loose.

Take all the time you need to get the sprocket mounted as straight and wobble free as possible. (it is possible) and make sure when you sight down the chain, it's straight from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket.

Cuereus

Oct 20, 2012
Darwin, Australia
thanks, joe
but the wheel isn't pulling because of the quick release is loose,i feel that if i had it tighter the bolt through the hub would snap.

on my 1st build i used a 26" wheel and the sprocket fitted nice and easy but this new bike of mine is a 700c wheel and the bolts dont line up with the spokes nicely. as for lining up the chain it is slightly off because the chain catches on the mounting bracket on the seat post.

i'll have to try loosing the chain a lil tomorrow

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Mine lined up better when I pushed all the bolts through the spokes at the same time, rather than one by one. Push all your bolts thru the sprocket and outer donut before mounting to the wheel if you haven't tried it that way.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've said it before someplace around here, I have a love/hate relationship with quick-release wheels. The front isn't a hassle (usually) but locking the back in can be... frustrating.

Try this: Once you have the back wheel set where you want it, and your quick-release will (just) lock in by hand, release it/set the lever to remove position and finger turn the nut on the other end 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Loop the end of your 14mm box wrench over the lever and use it as an extention to swing the lever to locked position again.

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
1. Make sure the bolts holding the sprocket in place are tight.

2. I'm not familiar with quick release axles, but you might have a bolt that you can tighten in addition to the lever.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Cuereus,

I have already dealt with the problem of the torque of the motor pulling the wheel to the left.

Replace the quick release axle with a solid axle from a bmx. You can buy a complete axle from your local bike shop very cheap or rob a complete axle from a junk bike.

You will need an axle with cones and lock nuts and axle nuts as well because the bmx axle is imperial and the road will be metric.

It takes time to set up the rag joint, you may need to assemble it several times to get the spacing right, the most important thing is to tension all the bolts tightly, very tight! I have been running a rag joint for two years and no problems with loose spokes.

Also make sure the rag joint is on both side of the spokes, no metal against the spokes!

Cheers,
DaveM.

Last edited:

Cuereus

Oct 20, 2012
Darwin, Australia
so after numerous hours trying to fit all 9 bolts so it doesnt bend any spokes i tried a combination of 6 bolts leaving out the middle bolt on the on the backing plates. do you guys think it will be alright to use with out them??

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I believe the sprocket will work 32 spokes.I have two mountain bikes with rag joints.I have one for 3yrs.I just build the second one.I have the bevel sprocket on both.So it turned out that the shinny side had to be facing the outside.I had to go with a trike chain.I also have them pretty tight and and no rubbing.I don't know about the quick release tho try a regular axle like DaveM said.I do know some of those bigger chains don't need to be as tight it causes rubbing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have a 32 spoke rim the kit rag joint will not work correctly or as it was designed to. I believe most of the aftermarket hub adapters are also designed to be used on a 36 spoke rim. You won't get all nine bolts to align correctly with 32 spokes. You'll have to leave out one or two, or bend spokes and that's asking for trouble.

Tom

Cuereus

Oct 20, 2012
Darwin, Australia
well i have been running it without 3 of the bolts i probably have done about 50 km and i took off the sprocket just to check the spokes are alrigh and it seem they are fine non are bent or have snapped

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
@ cuereus .. i was in the same bubble as you not too long ago. just bite the bullet with this one and spend the money. it'll hurt the pocket for a short while but trust me it is worth it. i just spent my entire check getting an ez qmatic so i know how you feel. but the sprocket will do you well for a very long time. the raag joints are not worth the headache. if the adapter is a lil too big for the hub. just cut open a soda can and make a fitting out of that. i had to do that and it works very well. i wrapped it with electric tape to prevent slip. but i love the manech mechanic sprocket. my chain has not slipped at all. msg me if you need any more info on that mang. theres a few mods that changed the entire outlook on motorized bikes. to make them soooooo much more reliable. theyre a lil pricey but atleast you know you wont break down.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just a sprocket tip.
If you have a spare front fork put in a vice to server as stable upside fork and attach your wheel to it.

Spin the wheel and observe the sprocket movement in both vertical wobble up and down from the face, and for back and forth horizontal wobble from the edge, if either but most especially the vertical looking from the face you will always have problems.