Price of Gas these days......Let's Ride!

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I am currently waiting for a permit for my fuel still from the BATF make your own distilled alcohol for a 1.23 $ a gallon. sugar, yeast and water is all it takes well that and a little skill. hmmmm yet im still waiting,,,,, the must remember my papy and grand papy and great grand papy,,,,,,etc. guess what part of the country I was born in. lol

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I am currently waiting for a permit for my fuel still from the BATF make your own distilled alcohol for a 1.23 $ a gallon. sugar, yeast and water is all it takes well that and a little skill. hmmmm yet im still waiting,,,,, the must remember my papy and grand papy and great grand papy,,,,,,etc. guess what part of the country I was born in. lol
Corn liquor moonshine country? You could fuel the bike and the body for cheap laff

dnut

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Scotto - My first car had a 200 gallon whiskey tank in the roof, a hand -me -downfrom an older cousin. Back on subject, a motor converted to alcohol is around 35% efficent one burning gasoline 20-22% at best, not to mention the increase in available HP. If ya dont access the extra HP and continue to use the motor as you normally would the extra HP translates into extra mpg. Setting a motor up to burn alcohol is a cheap and easy process. Replace all rubber parts with an alcohol resistant ( hoses etc)advance the timing and replace the jets with ones 25 -35 % bigger ones ( I just drill em out) starting off with lessor and workin up till ya find what size works. As far as the timing same thing, Example my ford timing on gas 6-8 degrees BTDC on alcohol 4 degrees ATDC The Ford in th pic is a 1 ton 4x4 and get almost 25 mpg

Attachments

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Scotto - My first car had a 200 gallon whiskey tank in the roof, a hand -me -downfrom an older cousin. Back on subject, a motor converted to alcohol is around 35% efficent one burning gasoline 20-22% at best, not to mention the increase in available HP. If ya dont access the extra HP and continue to use the motor as you normally would the extra HP translates into extra mpg. Setting a motor up to burn alcohol is a cheap and easy process. Replace all rubber parts with an alcohol resistant ( hoses etc)advance the timing and replace the jets with ones 25 -35 % bigger ones ( I just drill em out) starting off with lessor and workin up till ya find what size works. As far as the timing same thing, Example my ford timing on gas 6-8 degrees BTDC on alcohol 4 degrees ATDC The Ford in th pic is a 1 ton 4x4 and get almost 25 mpg
Interesting notes Rick. My experience w/ small engines mirrors your findings (jet wise) and for folks reading, when he says change over the seals, he means the carb also! Alcohol will swell them! Good knowledge to have if ever an EMP. You'd think our Government would promote this knowledge but it's more profitable for them to enslave us.

Alcohol burns cleaner and cooler. Less of it's energy is spent making heat, unlike gasoline.

I wanted to grow corn and make alcohol from it to power my tractor on my own farm. You wouldn't believe the regs in NYS!

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Mach One of the builds Id like to do is an alcohol burner. One of my MB gets 202 mpg and I have 4 of those exact engines. Based on numbers from other alcohol conversions 253 mpg are possible as well as a jump in HP from 3.2 to 4 hp. Couple that with a 48v 1000w hub motor and the electronics made at the shop to make a true hybrid bringing a possible milage to 340 or there abouts. Fuel economy like that should make us all dance P.S. If anyone is interested I can tell you how to convert a regular ole pressure cooker into a mini fuel still. Makes a gallon of fuel in 20 minutes after the mash is ready

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Yep, times tough all over; I' have ta spend $6 a month on gas. useta get by
with $4. 160 mpg gx35 DIY belt drive.... 200 if ya count what i pedal.
Just outrageous!:-||

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
About 10 years ago I was told I couldn't park my stand-up in the building any more because gasoline was a HAZMAT issue and was against company policy. That is when I converted a Tanaka 40cc 2-stroke to an alcohol burner. Nothing they could do about that.......I even ran it on everclear for a while with Maxima 927 castor........you could nearly breath the exhaust fumes, it smelled really nice.

dnut

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Info on running a 2 strk w/ oil and what oil to use would be appreciated!

Anybody making their own fuel, it's dangerous, please be heads up. Fumes are explosive! Also, if you are tempted to drink it (for some reason?), make sure you throw the heads out, read more online. That's where your POISON Methenol is!

Cook it slow as previously mentioned. 173 is where alcohol boils and vaporizes out of the water. If you try to speed things, you'll get the nasty oils. Don't know how it would affect fuel, but they don't taste good!

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Mach, I must concur cooking fuel is dangerous if the operator does NOT pay attention (just as dangerous as a dummy with a firearm). Using an aluminum pressure cooker to make fuel renders the entire batch UNEDIBLE as aluminum releases a poison but harmless to your motor. A drinking still must be copper or stainless steel. also any fuel you make must be mixed with kerosene 100: 1 making it denatured, so your not carrying around untaxed liquor. Use any synthetic 2 stroke oil @ the ratio you would for gas

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
About 10 years ago I was told I couldn't park my stand-up in the building any more because gasoline was a HAZMAT issue and was against company policy. That is when I converted a Tanaka 40cc 2-stroke to an alcohol burner. Nothing they could do about that.......I even ran it on everclear for a while with Maxima 927 castor........you could nearly breath the exhaust fumes, it smelled really nice.

dnut
Scotto Everclear wow now thats expensive fuel , If not making ones own fuel use denatured alcohol bought at most hardware stores or even pharmacies

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto Everclear wow now thats expensive fuel , If not making ones own fuel use denatured alcohol bought at most hardware stores or even pharmacies
Yeah, it was $4 a liter in Mexico back then....I just did it for fun. You can't drink denatured alcohol, you can however drink everclear (only if ya have too though), powerful, nasty stuff ;)

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wow......caught a little breath of relief coming home from the race last Saturday, the price for regular in Hisperia was $4.06 a gallon. Needless too say, I filled my tank and it sure beats having to gas up down in Riverside county ;)

dnut

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Gas here in washington state is the highest in the country,but if worse comes
to worst, I've got gramma's recipe for shine, Ozark Octane fur shur!

.wee.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I dont pay that much attention to gas price, at least on a daily basis. I fill up about once a month, and gas is usally $3 something around here. I buy mid grade (92?) and I dont think I ever paid over $4 a gallon. I fill up so seldom that sometimes I forget when my last fillup was, and run out of gas on my way home. pedaling used to suck with a 44t pedal gear. I now have a 28t pedal gear, and pedaling is a lot easier. so now I dont care as much if I run out of gas. the one thing that justifies all the money that goes into this bike is the fact that I spend less on gas in a year than my wife did in two weeks to drive her car before it broke down.