Predator vs Other Brands?

Discussion in '4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits' started by BlueSmoker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BlueSmoker

BlueSmoker New Member

I am thinking of building a motorized kicksled with a 4-stroke engine. I have searched a bit and found out that the 212cc Predator is much more cheap than other engines with 6,5hp, and now i wonder why that? What do you think about Predator engines? Do they have good sustainability? How are they compare to other brands?

http://www.brandnewengines.com/briggshorizontalshaft.aspx

2. TheNecromancer13

Personally, I like the predators a lot. They are cheap but reliable, and with the right mods can output quite a bit of power. The downside is that they have no internal gear reduction whatsoever, so you will have to build that yourself. Fortunately GTC makes a jackshaft plate that bolts right on to the side of them, so that helps immensely. Word of warning: I once took a 79cc predator bike with lots of performance mods and the governor removed down a steep hill at full throttle just to see how fast it would go, at around 7500 rpm the magnet ripped off the stock flywheel, and the pieces bounced around inside the flywheel housing and wrecked everything, I had to get a new engine block. So get a billet flywheel if you plan on doing ridiculous stuff.

3. mogollonmonster

If you want the engine to last forever, buy an Onan. IME, those engines(unabused) last forever. I like Briggs and Stratton, myself, but they're kinda pricy too. No experience with the Predators, but the number of folks using them seems to indicate they work ok. TheNecromancer, and a number of others have led me to believe, they also ride pretty hard, which further indicates their ability to soak up abuse.

4. BlueSmoker

BlueSmoker New Member

Okay. It seems that they usually works but i read about a guy who bougt two defect engines in a row. Those chinese engines do not seem to be so safe made.
    Will probably buy this Briggs & Stratton instead if the delivery price is not too high.
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/12T432-2120.html

5. mogollonmonster

I digs Briggs! Good luck buddy, I'm sure that motor will last for some time.

6. TheNecromancer13

Yea, briggs and stratton makes great engines. Never built a bike with one, but own a rototiller and 2 lawn mowers with them, never had a problem with any of them, and the rototiller has seen as much use as some of my bikes.

7. BlueSmoker

BlueSmoker New Member

How is it with the fuel consumption?

8. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

My 212cc Predator consumes fuel like no other.....it's a thirsty beast

[​IMG]

Even worse, I run VP 110 race fuel in it and at $65 for a five gallon can it's a bit pricey.

.wee.

9. TheNecromancer13

My 79cc predator gets about 100 mpg if I'm just cruising.

10. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

My 99cc predator gets about the same and it's perfect for the street...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 scotto-, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  11. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

The Predator engines are pretty much bullet proof.
    I would advise spending a little extra for a good clutch tho! (Those cheap clutches chatter real bad when taking off). :/