pipes

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm in the thinking stages of making a pipe for these bikes it won't be a tuned one per say but will be better than what comes on these bikes stock.
The big problem is it take a lot of time to make and weld so I'm looking at a cost of around $100.00 for each pipe. What I'd like to do is use is send the customer paper templates that they would cut off their head pipe and tape the patterns to their bike for the clearance and so things won't hit the frame pedals or chain sprocket etc. it will also include a muffler either welded solid or with a removable baffle. I'm also thinking about the so called poo poo pipes they should be very easy to make its just getting the bends right to clear the sprockets,pedals etc. again I might be able to make them with some kind of a bike diagram and some measurements.
They all will be unpainted and no chrome what do you guys think would it be worth it to you?
I also could do the welding mods to pipe's you already have if you provide me with measurements and mark the pipe on how to weld it up and supply all the parts.
My pipes that I make are very quite and work better than stock you can see them on my bikes here on the forums if you want to go for a tuned pipe you will need to provide patterns I can use and a mock up in paste board of the pipe I work in English measurements so don't try metric I can do some things in metric but don't want to mess with it building exhausts.
please respond if your interested.
Norman

here is one I did

its an expansion chamber verry roughly fashioned from web info
I think those tuned expansion chambers made by a member of this forum are probably the best option there is rite now (no offense)
also a in the pic a home made suspension fork
take care
JAK

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Jak
your bike looks good to me i like the pipe but I can't make out the front fork you have a better picture?
Norman

Jak
your bike looks good to me i like the pipe but I can't make out the front fork you have a better picture?
Norman
here are some better pics

its heavy but it works great :)

its just a rough up of a springer idea I had
the mountain bile forks dont have enough caster for a cruiser
take care
JAK

Attachments

Last edited:

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
Re: here is one I did

its an expansion chamber verry roughly fashioned from web info
I think those tuned expansion chambers made by a member of this forum are probably the best option there is rite now (no offense)
also a in the pic a home made suspension fork
take care
JAK
that pipe looks good im working on 1 now i figured with little on the market i would scratch build so i baught a program that helps you calculate diameter shape and cc it to the motor what a pain but its to late to turn back now once again thats a nice fitting pipe have a good 1 later !!!!!!

Re: here is one I did

that pipe looks good im working on 1 now i figured with little on the market i would scratch build so i baught a program that helps you calculate diameter shape and cc it to the motor what a pain but its to late to turn back now once again thats a nice fitting pipe have a good 1 later !!!!!!
yeah Im honestly not sure how much good mine is doing
I had it running really well without one before

Ill tell you what though when I had it wrong my fuel milage probably went to 1/2 what it usually is so I think it was pulling it out of the chamber but not pushing it back in

this one seems to work Ok
there is definatly more of a power band with the pipe & the porting
take care
JAK

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
hey jak heres a prog. that may be of somekind of interest i hope the link works i have another one but im not so computer savvy i guess i wouldnt know how to upload it it is on a disc. and it may be right protected it wouldnt let me burn it to a new one anyway check it out !JavaPipe: Tuned Pipe Designer

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
HELLO NORMAN!!! Been wondering about you ol' buddy, read you were getting out of the light biz, noticed you been kinda grumpy lately-did you have a birthday?

Allright let's get to "bidness" I'm looking for a pipe that copies the lines of a Harley, long, low, & tapering out at the end with a 45 degree cut-off at the end, ready for plating. How Much?

I'm glad to see you get into doing this and I wish you GREAT SUCESS! Happy Trails Walter F.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Walter can you tell me the type of bike not that I'm going to be able to even find one like it to make a pipe. But what I need to know or have is a paper pattern of what you want sort of like doing a paper doll? make the pattern to fit you bike from the head to the rear of the bike try to make it out of heavy poster board and include any mounts you want. the dia of the pipe and what if any type of muffler. I do recommend a muffler. get all the info you can and let me see what I can conjure up price will depend on how pi$$ed I get trying to make itrotfl. I guessing about $50.00 to $100.00 but that is only a guess a Harley type pipe might even be cheaper as long as the dia. is not over I". I don't have benders to handle over that. Now if the dia is larger than 1" but is straight that might not be a problem. I can also make different type of baffles to get it quiet or if you want the neighbor's to start shooting make it loud. something you might try is make the pipe out of pvc the best you can and use poster paper hanger taped on where you want them and I can use it as a pattern.
I know these bikes are all a one of a kind and its going to be tough to make a pipe fit good. So lets see how bad I can fuct it up.
Norman

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hi Norm, Price sounds more than fair, there are a couple of photos floating around of what I want I'll try to gather them up for you. How about if I take say 3/8" copper tubing and bend it to shape and trace that onto heavy brown wrapping paper. I plan to bring the bike into the "skunk works" for the winter, for a complete tear down/redo, this includes remounting the engine so I'm 30/45 days away from giving the go ahead but this is my Christmas present to myself, so put me on the waiting list. You'll just be getting good at it by then! Happy Trails Walter F. PS pm me and we'll do it by e-mail

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What ever will work so I don't make it so tight that it hits something like the cranks or kickstand etc it will be a one shot thing as shipping will eat a guy alive on a do over sounds like it might be fun?! if you use the pvc pipe(cheaper than copper) you can make it look just how it should be and also make some cuts so it can be make to fit a small box for shipping. just make sure to make alignment marks so I will know how to make it all fit right.
Norman

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Those won't be a problem as when this pipe is on it's in "drag bike" mode, no crank, no kick stand-63 tooth sprocket on the rear. I'm gettin' a drag pipe for Christmas!!! too cool Happy Trails Everybody Walter F.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
drag bike sweet i love drag racing thats my real disease i got a 9.90 e.t. 426 nitrous motored mustang ya gonna put a transbrake in her just kiddin that will be cool though is it going to look like a drag bike or like a drag chopper i see your avatar looks sweet ! have a good 1 peace !!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I didn't really get how a "Tuned Pipe" worked. Digging around the net I found an animation that thought I would share.

Quick question, If you ran exhaust into just a larger chamber after a stock muffler on a Honda 50 to cool and reduce noise, would it be sacrificing power?

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
drag bike sweet i love drag racing thats my real disease i got a 9.90 e.t. 426 nitrous motored mustang ya gonna put a transbrake in her just kiddin that will be cool though is it going to look like a drag bike or like a drag chopper i see your avatar looks sweet ! have a good 1 peace !!
Pretty good time for a pony on laughin' gas- I thought about using a dual pull lever for clutch and rear disc brake - pull the lever in clutch disengaged brake engaged, let go clutch engaged brakes disengaged, poor mans line-lock.

Well it better "LOOK" like a drag bike as that's all done to keep her low, sleek & quick. It's gonna be a trip!!! Happy Trails=Happy Times Walter F.

I have a 12.4 second 500BHP saab 2.0 on turbo & nitrous
:)
I love to freaking tinker if you couldent tell
take care
JAK

hey I wanted to say
I played with the length of the center part of the expansion chamber & it had a pretty heavy effect on the way the bike ran
taking one inch out required allot more fuel at idle & produced noticably more torque at low RPM while not pulling as well at higher RPM
I totally guessed at this pipe.... although I did make 4 or 5 all together
its a wonder it works at all
I ended up putting it back to about where it was erlier today
take care
JAK