Phantom 85 v3 slight clutch issues

GoldenMotor.com

Solarsyst

Jan 17, 2024
Just asking around. I have a slight annoying issue with the stock and aftermarket RDM clutch plate on this bike.

Durning cool start-up I have to adjust the flower nut one screw notch up to give it a hard start. During warmup of the plate, I can reduce it back to normal and screw back in the screw. Anybody else have this issue or have found a work around? I've tried the RDM clutch plate also and the it's the same issue. I'm wondering if I make the clutch pads trimmed to where there free floating in the clutch basket this can make a difference? I've tried green pads, they start smoking lol. The white striped with black seem perfect and typically operatoe ok once I get to the point of warm-up. This is SO annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm not sure what your exact problem is?
Is the clutch slipping when trying to start it; & then dragging while idling when it's warmed up; (to where you need to loosen the flower nut)??

Reactions: fasteddy

Solarsyst

Jan 17, 2024
I'm not sure what your exact problem is?
Is the clutch slipping when trying to start it; & then dragging while idling when it's warmed up; (to where you need to loosen the flower nut)??

It seems like the bike won't start with the clutch adjusted to where it needs to be.. So i screw in the flower nut clockwise 1 notch to tighten the screw back into the plate. Once that's done I can start the bike by pedaling a 50 ft.

Then i have to warm up the bike for atleast 2-5 minutes. It will not idle right at first because it's struggling to warm up the clutch plate. Once it's warm. I can reduce back the flower nut counter closewise to it's sweet spot. Everything returns back to normal and idles and runs properly.

I torque the head bolts to the cylinder 144 inch lbs, everything is adjusted. No air leaks, etc. Just an issue with this motor and the clutch always having to be adjusted. I've had to make it a habbit ridding around with a flatherad screwdriver in my pocket to adjust the flower nut back and forth. I've had this issue since I bought this engine.

Perhaps knocking out hte bike shaft and seeing if the spring and buckign bar assembly is tight enough? I don't know if this will make a difference.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Does the clutch cable have a lot of sharp bends in it's route from the lever down to the engine?
Having a 'straighter' cable routing gives the clutch a more positive feel.
Post some good pictures of your setup.

Reactions: PeteJ and fasteddy

Solarsyst

Jan 17, 2024
So no sharp bends i'm using a RDM clutch plate now. I have to still procedd the same procedure until it warms up. I guess chaning the clutch shaft spring to a staronger one may resolve this. We shall see.