Perpetual Acceleration, Help Please!

GoldenMotor.com

Swish

Dec 3, 2012
Toronto
I recently had my bicycle motorized. It has been working fine. I had a flat tire this morning.

Had to get the tube replaced, so had to take the chain off the rear mount. Replaced the tube, put the chain back on to the mount. It was being a little sticky.

Anyways, I tried to ride it again near home, and the bike just keeps accelerating to max speed, even if I let go of the throttle. I tried to use the choke to see if it turns off (check for any leaks), the bike still turns off.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? It was also inside my uncle's car when I took it to the shop, any chance the way it was stored may have caused this problem?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I doubt it's 'Perpetual Acceleration' as Einstein says it has to stop accelerating at speed of light.

You might want to check for throttle cable binding tho.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds to me like you tweaked (bent, kinked or otherwise screwed up) your throttle cable while loading or unloading the bike into the car. Either at the handlebar end or at the carburetor.
Remove the air cleaner, doesn't make any difference which carburetor you have, and look into the throat of the carb while twisting the throttle. You should see something moving up and down as you twist. Up as you increase throttle position, down when you release it. If you don't see this, look for the reason.

Tom

Swish

Dec 3, 2012
Toronto
Thanks Crassius hehe. I think I meant perpetual attempt to accelerate?

Also, thanks Tom, I am going to try and do what you said. Unfortunately, I have taken the word noob to a whole new level when it comes to motorized bicycles. I don't even know which part is the air cleaner.

I shall keep you updated. Appreciate the help

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Look, I'm a long term motorcycle racer, where can I buy a can of this Perpetual Acceleration?

Swish

Dec 3, 2012
Toronto
Sounds to me like you tweaked (bent, kinked or otherwise screwed up) your throttle cable while loading or unloading the bike into the car. Either at the handlebar end or at the carburetor.
Remove the air cleaner, doesn't make any difference which carburetor you have, and look into the throat of the carb while twisting the throttle. You should see something moving up and down as you twist. Up as you increase throttle position, down when you release it. If you don't see this, look for the reason.

Tom
Thanks, I checked it out this morning, it seems to be moving up and down now. I think it might have been jammed. Frankly, I did nothing to fix the situation, just took a look at it this morning, and it was working.

Appreciate the help :)

Thanks for the help guys

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
This is not exactly the same problem, but it might have some similarities.

My recoil for pull start was not going back in very smooth or jammed quite often.

I used various lubricants and still had the problem. I tightened the spring another two wraps to the max before you could not pull the cord out to full length as well.

After leaving it be a while and just working on some other stuff, it eventually works fine.

I suspect that the lubrication had to sit and seep in to really be effective, so 3 days it. It’s like new now!

Another one not quite the same as either of these but since you mention putting in the car the motor bike, I have to mention this one.

My dad took the TV to the TV repair shop. When he got it there 1 week before the warranty was to expire, the TV decided to work when he got it there.

The next week it was on the fritz again. I suppose some warranties should allow for this and still have it covered for at least a month as a grace period, but aint that something. The car ride is what temporarily fixes the TV, but the opposite for a motor bike.

As for the TV it was found a cracked trace on circuit board was intermittent

MT.