Panels to hide side of engine?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by michaelbikin, Aug 15, 2015.

1. michaelbikin

michaelbikin Member

I saw this post where a guy just briefly mentioned about how a guy made panels to go on the side of his bike frame to cover the engine and everything to make it look neater... I am not going to quote it or give you a link because he just said what it typed above. But, how do I do this? I haven't been able to find any links or anything, but I would like my bike to look more like a motorcycle, or just to cover up the middle of the bike with something so everything cannot be seen.

Thanks, this is just an idea I have been wondering about for a while.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

I've got customers that unhook fuel line & spark wire to cover motor with a big bag to get it on the bus sometimes.

3. YesImLDS

YesImLDS Member

I would only do this if they aren't legal in your area because otherwise you run into cooling issues.

4. Whiteride

Whiteride New Member

I'd suspect any advantage of looking neater would be grossly offset by overheating issues as these motors are air cooled. Better to dress up the engine IMHO.

5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's an idea. Find a motorcycle you like. Take pictures of both sides of the engine, blow them up and glue them to some cardboard then attach the cardboard to the sides of your motorized bicycle. Now it looks like a motorcycle and you've concealed the bike engine. Two birds with one stone. :)

Don't cover the engine. It needs air flowing over and around it to cool!

Tom

6. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Just blow up a bunch of pictures of cooling fans and a radiator. That will fix it.:)

7. Agreen

Agreen Member

Yeah, my first thought was cooling as well. But i have seen air cooled street bikes that have fairings around the engine. You just need to make sure there is good ducting involved and it should be fine. Heck, it may even cool better with the concentrated air flow.

As for how you do it, that's all up to you. I'd start with some posterboard and make a template first. Then, once you have the size and shape you want, cut it out of some sheet aluminum and get some metal straps to secure it to your frame. You dont want to rivet or screw it directly in to the frame, as that will weaken it.

Take a picture of the bike with a plain white backdrop, and print the picture. Draw with a pencil on it to see how tou want it to look before doing anything. You might not like it and decide it's not what you want. But i can think of a couple instances where it would look pretty cool...

Just remember, duct that airflow or you'll burn it up!

8. Agreen

Agreen Member

9. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

A rule of thumb. The outlet of an engine fairing, cover, etc, should be twice the size of the inlet. This allows for the slowing of the air flow and the heat expansion of the surrounding (cooled) air. Not my opinion but good aviation engineering practice which would apply to any air cooled internal combustion engine.

Tom

10. crassius

many years ago when freeway required a 175cc or bigger bike, a kid with new 80cc bike put cardboard fins on 2 coffee cans, painted them black, and attached one to each side of motor to ride on freeway

11. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Did the coffee cans help him keep up with traffic?

Tom

12. YesImLDS

YesImLDS Member

Sounds like those coffee cans I see on the back of Honda civics all the time!

13. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh yeah. The ones stuck to the back bumpers? The ones that make the owners 'think' their car is faster because it's louder?

Tom

14. YesImLDS

YesImLDS Member

Yeah, those are the ones. The ones transporting the park benches on the trunk!

15. crassius

he was fast enough, but the old law (from the 50s) went by engine size rather than the newer horsepower ratings available in the 70s

16. michaelbikin

michaelbikin Member

Yes I am thinking about air flow as well, but I'm not worried about it, but that was an interesting picture there.

17. Agreen

Agreen Member

It's a google image search pic I found. I typed in "motorized bicycle fairing" and some pictures came up. Although, one was titled "laser boobs", and it was really weird...

18. YesImLDS

YesImLDS Member

If you really want to try this you could get some aluminum ducting sheet and rivet it to the bike. I made a small heat shield out of the material to keep the heat away from my air filter on the carb.