over the bars and straight to the hospital...

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i'm not afraid to go fast again. just not on that jinxed bike.
Thats wise thinking,if you don't feel comfortable on it then you shouldn't be on it.

never a good thing to ride uptight or fearful in any way, it will cause someone to make a mistake that probably they would not have made if they had been clear headed and relaxed.

I've explained this to several people over the years when they buy their first motorcycle and I've noticed that they are very tense and riding semi scared, not a good thing because when something out of the ordinary happens they tend to freeze up instead of being able to react and clearly think their way quickly out of a potential jam.

baird, I know you don't ride scared at all, but I understand that you want to feel confident in the machine you're on and I can't blame you for that at all, I'm the same way.

Now hurry up and get that new project done so you can share some of the progress with us here.....

Peace, map
reddd

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
OMG!! DUDE!!! Sorry to see what happened!!

The fenders look great, but I don't trust mine on my China girl Schwinn.
If I were to use those fenders I would have to weld on bar stock into the
supports. I have seen people manufacture new L-plates supprts that are even bigger.

Another cool thing was people drilled holes in they're fenders along by the fork, then laced them up so that they could not collapse onto wheel. The tip came down, so perhaps you could lash a rope, or weld something to hold the tip up.

Maybe make like that suicide biker commando mine cutter look. When they had
a knife edge along and over bars, and then laid down under it. So it would cut the wires the nazis put up to behead you!! Well thats what I remember from the old days anyways. I may make a samurai sword holder on my fork to recreate that look.

If you are too freaked out to run it. Just take the fenders off!! I know it ruins that classic look, but after seeing that I figure I would have to really reinforce my fenders with some really stiff, thick bar stock before I will put all my slick lookin fenders on my Clairmont.

And cool mods too!! like that head trick!!! Perhaps one day if they ever rehire me after becoming a felon, we can race at a death race one day.....

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it wasn't the fenders, it was th drum brake that got me.

my front fender has two fender struts and a bolt that screws directly into the fork. it didnt get messed up until the bike flipped and landed on it. i've got no worries about the fenders failing.

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Cascade effect. The nut fell off, the arm (or cable) spun into fender support arm bending and collapsing it onto your tire, which then sent you for a trip.

If the fender supports were able to not deform when the arm came loose and the wire caught, then you'da been ok. I don't even know how I did it, but on my rear fender support, or the rear deck supports. They have already been crushed into the spokes on my bike. I think though that I was putting on the wheel and the derallier grabbed it.

Then ok if I am totally wrong then you are saying the drum brake turned on when it fell off the arm? I read the report lol, so the wire tensioned up and then the brake seized.

Ufff!! and I just bought a 90mm Sturmey archer drum brake hub...... Uh Oh!

Looks like I'll Muffler clamp and ,, AND put one of those hose clamps as well!!!

Can't be too sure after seein that!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Cascade effect. The nut fell off, the arm (or cable) spun into fender support arm bending and collapsing it onto your tire, which then sent you for a trip.

If the fender supports were able to not deform when the arm came loose and the wire caught, then you'da been ok. I don't even know how I did it, but on my rear fender support, or the rear deck supports. They have already been crushed into the spokes on my bike. I think though that I was putting on the wheel and the derallier grabbed it.

Then ok if I am totally wrong then you are saying the drum brake turned on when it fell off the arm? I read the report lol, so the wire tensioned up and then the brake seized.

Ufff!! and I just bought a 90mm Sturmey archer drum brake hub...... Uh Oh!

Looks like I'll Muffler clamp and ,, AND put one of those hose clamps as well!!!

Can't be too sure after seein that!

Go back and read all of this thread and you'll see that the FENDER had nothing to do with bairds crash......

Failed bolt that serves as anchor for drum brake was the cause

Front brake cable spun up until it locked the front brake solid and that is what sent him over the bars, as he has said the fender was bent do to the crash it was not the cause in any way shape form or fashion.

Map

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto: It was my crash that was fender related. Not Baird's.

His fenders held. Mine didn't. I took every precaution I thought necessary nevertheless a fender came loose and rotated under the rear wheel.

Baird's crash was caused by a similar fastener failure that couldn't have been anticipated any easier than mine.

Tom

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
early this morning, about 5am, after working all night, i was heading to the derelict donuts shop car show in huntington beach when the clamp holding my front drum brake bracket to the fork snapped.

i was doing about 40mph, hit the front brake coming up to a red light, and the bracket snapped, spinning the drum, and wrapping the brake cable up tight.

so, in that slow-mo time machine effect that all great crashes have, i was launched over the bars and slammed to the pavement.

my bike looped it, smashing up both fenders as it tumbled, but i was much worse.

couldn't breathe, couldn't lift my arm, couldn't get my smokes outta my pocket, much less light one.

i felt myself going into shock, so i layed on the sidewalk and forced myself to relax. then i called my roommate, no answer, my co-worker, no answer, and then i called Dale, aka msrfan.

he answered and rescued me. i can't thank him enough for showing up, loading my broken bike and busted body and taking me to the hospital in huntington beach.

seriously, i owe you man...

spent a few hours getting poked and xrayed, shuffled from room to room and gurney to gurney, then got shipped out to the UCI trauma center in an ambulance with sirens blaring.

in california, any crash over 20mph gets you sent to the trauma ward.

awesome.

so, more of the same, except some really hot nurses. who ate poking things into me, instead of the other way around... :)

i have/had a dislocated shoulder, bruised ribs, heart, lungs, and kidneys, scraped up knees, tweaked left wrist and my right pinkie finger hurts, too.

i'm pissing into a plastic bottle because i can't get up without help and a lot of pain, and they're keeping me overnight (at least) until i can stand up on my own, and to keep an eye on my bruised lungs, etc.

called Dale and the bike's not too bad.

on the up side, i've got great insurance and aflac. i'll be back in the saddle in no time.

happy st. paddy's day... :)
What brake where you using? I just started a new build with drum brakes and want to be safe. Thanks

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Front what I gather the brake wasn't the issue, it was a bolt that either didnt get tighten by mistake or the bolt just failed, wasn't a brake issue in itself.

Baird explained all of this very clearly in his post.

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Canadian health care is not "free". Someone pays for it.

Exactly, and it isn't nearly as good, anything the government controls fails in one way or the other, just the nature on humans that become to powerful and get to much control, our founders warned of it and we are going down that road to failure here also, people here have no idea what they are asking for but it will be a disaster on many levels.

I'm sure this will get deleted but as a patriot and and American I feel obligated to speak up on the things that I know are bad for my country.

.flg.

Peace, Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i had good insurance. my bills ain't much. probably a lot less than all the money i spent on health insurance that i never used before...
baird I know what you mean about spending more than you use, I pay a bout $300 per month for my medical, dental plan company I work for picks up the other half, may be a wreck next year though.......I been paying this stuff for last 18 1/2 years now and might have had a couple thousand in insurance claims.

Map

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
insurance by and large has always seemed like a rip and a waste of money if one is careful but given a rear ender being pushed by a 25 year old at slow speed into a dodge charger while braking on the 10--given the inertia of both vehicles struck a toyota with 4 very obese women and then being sue by them by an ambulance chasing attorney and having to sweat that out--- their claims that were satisfied by my minimum insurance given 42 years driving and never even having been a passenger in any sort of accident
I bumped up to 100-300
I am now seeking all my medical expenses plus -- disabled right shoulder 50% tear of sst muscle --rotor cuff for some real money --all justified and the 25 year old's insurer -progressive -given my recent deposition knows there is nothing trumped up here I will prevail with settlement or trial if necessary

only in the good old usa

Last edited: