Orange Coast Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I have been keeping an eye on your build progress and I knew it was going to be a good bike. Yet I am still amazed with the finished product.
From start to finish that was an awesome build.
Thank you for sharing your genius.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
you need to take that bike to the doctor, cuz its SICK!

well done! thats really nice. dig the ratrod look. besides being a looker, tell me its comfortable.

what kind of nightmare problems, if any, did you have to overcome?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Brett, I Watched Your Detailed Build.. 1 Of A Kind For Sure. Awsum. Thanks For So Much Sharing. You Have Your Jack Shaft With A Free Wheel On The Crank Sprocket!! ?? Hence, A Shift Kit!! It Looks Very Neat And Functional

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks, guys

Welp', with a whole lotta' custom came a whole lotta' bugs.

First off was jackshaft location not only for the chain to clear the actuator housing, but to get chain slack right in between both sides, and then sprocket alignment between all connections so the chains weren't jumping off. Chains have 1/2" increments (with a half link) to shorten or lengthen, so that was fun. Then came gear ratios. The 5 speed cluster on the back is 14 through 28 and geared to work with 26" wheels, so I had to come up with the right reduction not only for the motor, but for the pedaling since they share the last jack shaft gear before the rear end. I am still taller in gears than I want to be, but I'm going to try a bigger engine side jack shaft gear and it should nail the power band better. I'd like to hit 6000 rpm at 23 mph in first gear, 50 mph in fifth. then at about 7200, I'll be at 55 mph.
That's fast enough for me. =-]'
The rear shock set up has an anomoly of a slight torsional twist under load and makes the rear tire want to wiggle off center line. The culprit: The rear wheel cage hoops are bending independently under load. I have to bridge them at the front with 2 arced 3/4" tubes up to the pivot in which I have to change from a urethane bushing to delrin plastic, because it still offers too much play that although slight at the pivot, multiplies at the shock mount.
The left side jackshaft needs to be left hand thread instead of right as I've lost two nuts so far. Some machining will fix this. The gas cap seal, petcock tube threads, and stock petcock all sucked. I made a new seal which works excellent, and tapped the petcock tube for 1/8" NPT for a new and improved petcock (Thanks, Jim). The stock exhaust gasket was gone in two days; made another one. And finally, the long exhaust coming off the expansion chamber is choking the flow, so a bigger tube will be neccessary before the spark arrestor.

As far as the ride goes, I'm stretched out like I'm on an "aped" cruiser, but it handles like a BMX. It rides like a Cadillac, but I can rip through the turns at speed. It doesn't feel as if I'm on a chopper. Very nimble and responsive. The disc brakes handle the wo' very well. To be honest, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever been on, motor or not.
I love it.

'BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks, Pablo

I can totally respect your R & D for your jack shaft kit.
I am slightly off on the engine's power band and my gearing is too tall at present.
I'm going with a larger jack shaft input gear to get first gear to top out at 23 mph @ 6000 rpm, 46 mph in fifth @ 6000 rpm. I want the most acceleration I can get out of the five speeds and still top out about 45 mph. I really don't have a need to go faster than that. The bike is stable at speed but my mind is uneasy. =-0'

I'm going to make a custom gear for it tomorrow and give it a run.

'BrettMavriK

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
i posted this on the other forum also

bike looks awesome but i think your suspension is upside down

if that shock comes apart the only thing holding the rear end together will be the chain

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
i posted this on the other forum also

bike looks awesome but i think your suspension is upside down

if that shock comes apart the only thing holding the rear end together will be the chain
nm i looked at the build pics

great job......i didnt realize thats what the flames were for with it all painted black

thats so awesome

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Exactly....It's upside down and backwards. =-]'
It's reverse catilevered. The back of the bike holds onto the front of the shock, and the front of the bike holds onto the back.

'Brett

nm i looked at the build pics

great job......i didnt realize thats what the flames were for with it all painted black

thats so awesome

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yeah, it really surprised me for a chopper how excellent it handles.
The disc brakes are a boon as well. I finally got my analog speedo mounted, and the engine rechargeable battery LED Headlight, Brake & Tail, Turn Signal set up is halfway done. It'll all hide in a little hinged metal box I made under the engine; even the CDI block. The only thing you'll see is the spark plug wire.

'BrettMavriK

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
looks like jesse james and paul tuttle got together and hence the name orange COAST choppers! nice white walls , how did that go!? lol nice looking ride! the rat rod look though isnt my cup of tea, maybe a mettalic purple or blue maybe even gold would look nice!