old man

GoldenMotor.com

bigdee

May 18, 2017
NC
I am a 70 year old man who likes to tinker. Was getting a little bored so I started watching you-tube videos and ran across this subject. Got a cheap 49cc kit off Amazon. I thought it would give me a day of tinkering but I finished it in about 2-1/2 hours. I have already put 60+ miles on it and haven't even left the neighborhood yet! Top speed so far as been 25.4 mph on level ground. Don't have enough road to stretch it out. In NC motorized bikes have to be registered and I have not got around to doing that. This thing is more fun then a barrel of monkeys!.flg.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome, be careful these things are habit forming! I started out to build one for a friend in 2010, I have since built several more. I currently have two and plan to start another on a 24" frame for my wife.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hi big dee. I'm a 70yo guy too.
I motorized my first bike 12 years ago, to get to work.
My present ride is Snow Tiger, a Tanaka-engined beast.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I feel like a kid again, at 62. Thanks, guys!
As old duffers we can't afford to be crashing off a bicycle. Have good brakes, reinforce or remove your fenders and don't go jumping curbs that might taco the wheel. The thought of bouncing off the pavement makes me cringe. Way too brittle for that action now.
Enjoy the fun, 25 is fast enough. Mine cruises at half throttle 25, but tops out at about 31 without a little grade or a tailwind, and it's a 66cc engine. They're happy and cool at 25.
Keep an eye out for the fuzz til you get your paperwork done. ;)

bigdee

May 18, 2017
NC
Thank you guys. Glad I joined this forum...had no idea I would find so many old farts here. My wife said I look like a fool riding that bike at my age and was afraid someone would take me to the crazy house. I showed her this forum and told her it is going to have to be a large crazy house!!!dance1

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
i got hooked and built 4 last winter. sold 2 this spring and kept 2. still a youngster here at 63.... enjoy the hobby

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Old guy here and welcome. I'm also 70'ish... got five moto bikes in the garage, lost count of the rest I've built. Great hobby & welcome. WE may look silly to some but we all know the chicks really dig it! Rick C.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Age is just a number, I'm fortunate to have good health. I know people that are a lot younger than me with a lot of problems, and some that are in their eighties and doing great. The key is keep moving, if you don't use it you'll lose it is what motivates me.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Old guy here and welcome. I'm also 70'ish... got five moto bikes in the garage, lost count of the rest I've built. Great hobby & welcome. WE may look silly to some but we all know the chicks really dig it! Rick C.
At our age most of us don't seem to care what others think of us.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorized bicycles. Most of us are old and living our childhood dream. A bicycle with a real motor on it not cards clipped to our spokes
dnut

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Most of us are old and living our childhood dream. Lol.

Sorta, had a Monark twin when 15 road the snot out of it till the rod went, Then built a Briggs powered motor bike. Then Model A Ford come along.

Had a chance to ride one a couple years ago. Now at 75 building another, just got re-hooked......................Curt

bigdee

May 18, 2017
NC
Yup, plenty of advantages of getting old. I feel like I have been liberated, I speak my mind the why I believe without fear of offending someone. When I have to go shopping I just go without a whole lot of prepping. Best of all is I no longer have to spend extra to buy products with a 30 year warranty!!