Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom most of my Mom's family went to Cali during the dust bowl days of the thirties, think "Grapes of Wrath" here. My Dad bought all their land and my Mom's family home. It's the house my three siblings and I were delivered in. I'm the youngest. The same Dr. delivered all of us and I think the total charge for all four deliveries was under $50. Delivery in a hospital would have doubled that! The price of medical service has gone up since then.

Went for a forty mile ride this morning and got bit by a dog. This is the second time an animal this month has spilled my blood. The first was a Mississippi kite attack to the back of my scalp a couple of weeks ago. This was a young Pitt Bull , beautiful dog, the owner was working nearby & was quite concerned. All the dog's shots are up to date I was assured, but I'll verify that with the vet Monday. He's a friend of mine. I was approximately 6 miles from home & coming back when the attack took place. Puncture only and won't require stitches so I'll get to the Dr. tomorrow.

I'm worried the poor animal will have to lick his butt all day to get the taste of me out of his mouth!

More bike drama this month than the previous dozen years I'd say. Hope to get a ride in tomorrow before seeing the Dr. and Vet.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Dan it's real and the fallout is anticipated to last for many years through the courts, as old legal cases are overturned and adjudicated through the legal system. New cases will test the scope of the ruling as it applies to pipeline right of ways, mineral leasing and new drilling as well as production. It's possible that the Nations can raise taxes on top of State taxes on oil and gas production. Not even the Supreme courts head justice could say what the results might be at this point and indicated as much in his summation.

My maternal Grandmother was of the Creek Nation, Muskogee & Cherokee both in the eastern half of Oklahoma (5 civilized tribes) lands which is the area subject under the ruling, but to this point the western lands where I live have no part in this other than it opens the door to test cases in Federal courts to expand the area to other tribal lands including lands in the Dakotas, Wyoming and any other areas where similar treaties were signed. At this time it's mostly speculation.

Land ownership surface and mineral rights aren't directly threatened, but legal authority, such as police powers, are for certain as regards Native Americans. Treaty land agreements give Tribal police authority over tribal members and Federal courts adjudicate those offenses. All felony cases involving Native Americans on treaty lands which were adjudicated without proper signoff are subject to being retried in Federal court or outright dismissal. It's thought the number of cases could be in the thousands...

It's a mess and though I agree the treaties have been terribly ignored by the State of Oklahoma and Federal authorities as well over the last 150 years ; It's going to be a heck of a mess to rectify. I'm glad to see the Supreme court have the courage to do he right thing, but I fear that the results will be chaos for decades to come.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Went for a forty mile rise the morning and got bit by a dog. This is the second time an animal this month has spilled my blood. The first was a Mississippi kite attack to the back of my scalp a couple of weeks ago. This was a young Pitt Bull , beautiful dog, the owner was working nearby & was quite concerned. All the dog's shots are up to date I was assured, but I'll verify that with the vet Monday. He's a friend of mine. I was approximately 6 miles from home & coming back when the attack took place. Puncture only and won't require stitches so I'll get to the Dr. tomorrow.

I'm worried the poor animal will have to lick his butt all day to get the taste of me out of his mouth!

More bike drama this month than the previous dozen years I'd say. Hope to get a ride in tomorrow before seeing the Dr. and Vet.

Rick C.

Well, have to say you handled that mutt bite episode well Rick. Good for you.
Turns out Oklahoma is home to one of the rarest of all species to be found in the US - an American who doesn't sue at the drop of a hat. ;)lol

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete excessive litigation is just one indicator of a society unable to take personal responsibility for their own actions and monetizing their immaturity by engaging the services of bottom feeding litigators to promote frivolous lawsuits.

I'd rather ride and enjoy making friends along the way.

Photos before the drama taken in an area of beautiful farm land which is also abundant in the area I've been riding. This to the south of my home town. Quite a diversity in scenery by altering slightly ones compass heading, but 250 ft. to 750 ft. altitude variations on 20 mi. radius in all directions. If you pedal it's a ride workout.

Rick C.

ride shot 1.jpg
sou
ride shot 2.jpg

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Tom most of my Mom's family went to Cali during the dust bowl days of the thirties, think "Grapes of Wrath" here. My Dad bought all their land and my Mom's family home. It's the house my three siblings and I were delivered in. I'm the youngest. The same Dr. delivered all of us and I think the total charge for all four deliveries was under $50. Delivery in a hospital would have doubled that! The price of medical service has gone up since then.

Went for a forty mile rise the morning and got bit by a dog. This is the second time an animal this month has spilled my blood. The first was a Mississippi kite attack to the back of my scalp a couple of weeks ago. This was a young Pitt Bull , beautiful dog, the owner was working nearby & was quite concerned. All the dog's shots are up to date I was assured, but I'll verify that with the vet Monday. He's a friend of mine. I was approximately 6 miles from home & coming back when the attack took place. Puncture only and won't require stitches so I'll get to the Dr. tomorrow.

Rick C.
Try one of those bear repellent sprayers or even a pressurized boat horn.;) Go Faaaaassstttteeeerrrrr drn2
I had a PitBull which looked like it might be a Ding mixed catch up with me running about 25 mph so I pushed it up to 45 mph
just to get away from him. I haven't had one run that fast like that! I want to get one of them boat horns and try it they are in
excess of 120 DB sound level. A couple over in this area have some cross between a terrier and a weiner dogs that just love
to run out in front of the bike and are hard to avoid hitting I'd hate to hit one it would kill one and would be like hitting a speed
bump.
Dennis

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Know what you mean. Sadly, here in the UK we've been all too eager to jump on the same litigation bandwagon over the last few years. The old 'where there's blame there's a claim' mindset is flogged to death by an emerging swathe of 'low class' legals all too keen on catering to the bottom feeders.
My heart sank today when I started seeing TV ads from a law firm aiming to drum-up ever more support for a class action suit against Mercedes over the so-called emissions scandal. The gist of the ad was centered around how upsetting it must have been for Merc owners after finding out their ride was doing more harm to the environment than first thought. Imagine how devastating that must have been for them.
Me? I've spent my life going out of my way to avoid ever having contact with anyone describing themselves as a solicitor or lawyer. It grieved me to have to involve one in my recent house sale. By the end of it, we were barely on speaking terms - and they were on my side!

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I pedal just about every day which means getting chased by a dog now and again. The thing is, I can't out pedal a reasonably fit full size dog!

So I don't.

What I do is stop and get off the bike. Then we either get acquainted or have a confrontation. That part's up to the dog.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
I pedal just about every day which means getting chased by a dog now and again. The thing is, I can't out pedal a reasonably fit full size dog!

So I don't.

What I do is stop and get off the bike. Then we either get acquainted or have a confrontation. That part's up to the dog.
I wouldn't want to test a Pitbull dog and that's when a "Concealed Carry" permit would protect you just in case the animal
has different intentions. A dog can sense a person's fear and I have never had problems with them but dogs are like some
humans, one can be an idiot! I had an Ole Timer who rode his bicycle in the country with his wife and we had two dogs
that didn't like bicycles or the people on them. The Ole Timer carried a cane on his bike and he taught our dogs a lesson
about chasing bikes! One sharp rap on a dog's nose got them thinking to leave bicycles alone. They also had a habit of
waiting down by the lane to harass people gong to work in the cars and one of ours got it's front leg broken chasing a
car. I suppose the person veered into the dog and my mother had a nurse checking on her and she splinted the dogs
leg and taped it but the animal persisted in licking and chewing on the splint. My mother told me that I have to put the
dog down so that was the end of the dog.
Dennis

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
All make good points on dogs& they are a part of my riding experience since childhood. I like animals, especially dogs and horses, though both can and sometimes do hurt you. It's been many decades since a dog got a piece of me and again I take most of the responsibility. I had slowed to a crawl, there was a lot of gravel on the asphalt surface . I was riding my hybrid & trying to decide if the intersection was where I wanted to turn on my way back home; the rest I kinda" went over already.

I don't want riders to be afraid to get out and really ride the country side because it's so much fun on motorized bikes or pedal bikes. Most people that live in the rural areas around here have dogs. I ride daily year round and I became a bit careless or this would not have occurred. I spent the morning at the Doc's and the vet. The vet knew the owner and his dogs, shots were up to date and the dog involved got into a porcupine not long ago and had been to the vet for some quill removal in the mouth and his muzzle. That's some bad dog trouble!

Only rode around town on my errands so missed a day in the country. Really not as much fun to ride in the heat of the day so I'll get back to it tomorrow morning.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete sorry to hear the UK suffers the same litigation blight we now see as the rule and not the exception. Over here attorneys that barely passed the bar chase ambulances and those not capable of making their mark, even one with such a low goal, enter politics and become representatives at the State or Federal level. Similar to the "Peter Principle" without a Peter and definitely lacking any principles.

Rick C.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
All make good points on dogs& they are a part of my riding experience since childhood. I like animals, especially dogs and horses, though both can and sometimes do hurt you. It's been many decades since a dog got a piece of me and again I take most of the responsibility. I had slowed to a crawl, there was a lot of gravel on the asphalt surface . I was riding my hybrid & trying to decide if the intersection was where I wanted to turn on my way back home; the rest I kinda" went over already.

I don't want riders to be afraid to get out and really ride the country side because it's so much fun on motorized bikes or pedal bikes. Most people that live in the rural areas around here have dogs. I ride daily year round and I became a bit careless or this would not have occurred. I spent the morning at the Doc's and the vet. The vet knew the owner and his dogs, shots were up to date and the dog involved got into a porcupine not long ago and had been to the vet for some quill removal in the mouth and his muzzle. That's some bad dog trouble!

Only rode around town on my errands so missed a day in the country. Really not as much fun to ride in the heat of the day so I'll get back to it tomorrow morning.

Rick C.
I was riding the 49cc this morning around 5:30 am and was just about home after going into town and a darn bug hit me in the eye. I don't know
what kind it was but it had a stinger on it and boy I was lucky to get it out. About 15 minutes earlier I put the sunglasses on and they were too
dark and took them off and from now on I'll carry the sunglasses and the amber safety glasses with me. Teaches me right, always wear eye
protection while riding.
Dennis

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was riding the 49cc this morning around 5:30 am and was just about home after going into town and a darn bug hit me in the eye. I don't know
what kind it was but it had a stinger on it and boy I was lucky to get it out. About 15 minutes earlier I put the sunglasses on and they were too
dark and took them off and from now on I'll carry the sunglasses and the amber safety glasses with me. Teaches me right, always wear eye
protection while riding.
Dennis
I use the persimmon color ones on my goggles and was concerned when riding late on tree covered trails. Though I have new clear lens to replace, it would take too much time. I think just having a case to protect the 2nd google in a back pack is what I'll do. Here is what I have of the LTGEM case. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6LSJKK?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nice storage case to protect goggles or glasses Dennis. Having a frame bag to carry misc. on even short rides is so convenient. I use a back pack a lot but it's kinda' hot during the Summer. Frame bag is better.

Bike packing requires some specialized storage for longer trips: panniers, quick access storage bags, tools, tubes, compact tent, and miniscule sleeping bags, ground mats etc. It's amazing how small and light the required kit can be and how little of the right stuff is required to adequately support a quite long ride that includes camping out and a couple of hot or cold, "meals ready to eat" each day. I enjoy stopping and eating at least one meal each day along the way and a couple of rest stops for cool down and hydration. Meeting & making new friends is a plus as well. The good equipment isn't cheap, but neither is finding suitable lodging every night. One 3 or 4 day ride can pay for the lot with savings from lodging expense.

Wearing eye protection is so important during most outdoor activity and riding bikes is quite dangerous without protective glasses. Coated, polycarbonate lenses in different shades and tints are a major benefit to seeing the roadway in various lighting conditions. Add UV protection as a checkoff list for suitable eye wear for cycling as well. Goggle styles are superior to ordinary "sun glasses" but I confess to using high quality "aviator" style frames most of the time, but I've had gravel and bugs get under these. Passing cars and trucks throw road debris that can cut face and arms so think about it reaching your eyes.

I've recently been looking for bicycle style helmets that incorporate a tinted half face shield. If any of you guys have recommendations I'd appreciate them.

Motorcycle helmets seem so cumbersome, but that may be the only solution. for a face shield. Goggles will definitely shield the eyes but man a three inch long grasshopper can really smack you at even bicycle speeds. They fly pretty fast and are plentiful around here.

Rick C.

Last edited:

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Nice storage case to protect goggles or glasses Dennis. Having a frame bag to carry misc. on even short rides is so convenient. I use a back pack a lot but it's kinda' hot during the Summer. Frame bag is better.

Bike packing requires some specialized storage for longer trips: panniers, quick access storage bags, tools, tubes, compact tent, and miniscule sleeping bags, ground mats etc. It's amazing how small and light the required kit can be and how little of the right stuff is required to adequately support a quite long ride that includes camping out and a couple of hot or cold, "meals ready to eat" each day. I enjoy stopping and eating at least one meal each day along the way and a couple of rest stops for cool down and hydration. Meeting & making new friends is a plus as well. The good equipment isn't cheap, but neither is finding suitable lodging every night. One 3 or 4 day ride can pay for the lot with savings from lodging expense.

Wearing eye protection is so important during most outdoor activity and riding bikes is quite dangerous without protective glasses. Coated, polycarbonate lenses in different shades and tints are a major benefit to seeing the roadway in various lighting conditions. Add UV protection as a checkoff list for suitable eye wear for cycling as well. Goggle styles are superior to ordinary "sun glasses" but I confess to using high quality "aviator" style frames most of the time, but I've had gravel and bugs get under these. Passing cars and trucks throw road debris that can cut face and arms so think about it reaching your eyes.

I've recently been looking for bicycle style helmets that incorporate a tinted half face shield. If any of you guys have recommendations I'd appreciate them.

Motorcycle helmets seem so cumbersome, but that may be the only solution. for a face shield. Goggles will definitely shield the eyes but man a three inch long grasshopper can really smack you at even bicycle speeds. They fly pretty fast and are plentiful around here.

Rick C.
I've got a case for the safety glasses which will be kept on the bike and the glasses have UV protection. The motorcycle helmets might be the
answer and I don't know why the bicycle helmets don't have face shields that could be snapped-on if needed.
Dennis

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I wouldn't want to test a Pitbull dog
Not long ago I punked a male pit with some small rocks. Couldn't hardly believe it but my 1st shot hit him in the nose! The rock bounced back at my feet so I fired again but he was already backing up so I missed. By the time I picked up another pebble he was jumping a fence to get back in his yard.

A young male Dobie caught me by surprise and actually got some teeth on my leg before I could stop. No big deal. Didn't even leave a mark. That time, after chasing him back into his yard, I knocked on the door and let the owner know cuz I didn't want his dog to get in trouble. Fine lookin' young dog that just needed some schooling.

Since I retired I've walked or pedaled thousands and thousands of miles. Lots of dog stories. But they don't give me no trouble. It's usually the other way around.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've got a case for the safety glasses which will be kept on the bike and the glasses have UV protection. The motorcycle helmets might be the
answer and I don't know why the bicycle helmets don't have face shields that could be snapped-on if needed.
Dennis

Right you'd think and a snap on brim to shield the eyes riding into early and late Sun.

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Goggles and helmet are good. In a video one I have posted on Trips & Adventures or some thread it is called, there is a part of the video where on a trail, I am toward one side to avoid ruts and you hear and see a small tree branch slap up side my helmet, not head directly. Eye and scalp would have sustained some injury for sure. I was just startled and nothing else cause I wore the two.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm giving some new lithium packs a 48v. and a 36v. a workout this week as one of my 36 v. packs didn't function properly. So other packs from that builder are getting some hard use with no pedal assist this week. So far so good on the 36 v. packs drain, recharge, ride and repeat. Hope to do the 48v. test starting Friday. Three or four days of harsh use should spot any weakness.

I neglected using these packs much after initially receiving them . My bad and my $$!!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ordered 4" x16" tires and spoke wheels for same along with solid tube inserts for my bike trailer conversion for bike packing trips and general hauling of stuff day to day. I'm going wider and lower with the trailer, but same length and bike hookup off the axle drops.

I've used the solid tubes in the past on 26" road bikes & liked them...except on rough roads and no suspension they are brutal, but no worse than a tube or tubeless road tire running 110 to 120 lb. pressure. They roll fast and corner acceptable for old guys. I'm thinking on my full suspension electric mountain bike of trying a set of 26" x 1.95" hard tubes. I have the tubes tires and wheels to try them on. The full air suspension should make them fine for daily riding. Though I might find grip on gravel not to my liking even with an aggressive tread.

I found that there is no room for mismatch of tire to tube size with this setup, though the manufacturer says a 1.75" or a 1.95" tire is okay with a 1.95" solid tube. It won't satisfy in mounting or performance. Depending on the tire type selected mounting ranges from hard to very difficult using levers and that's with exact match of tire size to tube size and the 2.125" tire and tube are even more difficult.

As I stated earlier these solid tubes work well on light weight road bikes, but when mounted on heavy, hard tailed motorized bikes with antique front suspension, the ride was unbelievably harsh at town speeds, better at 35 mph and up. They won't blow out or come off the rim at high speeds running straight. Really high speed cornering I'd think they are no worse than a tube tire at proper inflation about popping off the rim, but I don't corner like that any more.

This is opinion and not a promotion. This is my way of completely eliminating flat tires on back packing trips or really long day rides. Real road warriors and advocates of race tech will hate these things because they are going to be slower, but on a fifty mile ride I still finish far ahead if I eliminate a puncture and have to repair or replace a tube and don't destroy the wheel.

Just trying to have fun and keep it simple.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Fifty two mile ride this morning, starting to get easier going into my third full week of doing extended rides. Used my full suspension e-mountain bike today carried three batteries used only one. I pedaled full time. Lots of long grades to pull and elevation changes up to 700 ft. on a couple but 400 to 500 more common just a lot of them.

Part of the ride took me through gypsum canyon country. Rugged but I find it quite beautiful elevation about 2,100 ft. I'd say and that pretty high around the area I've been riding. Anybody tells you western Oklahoma is flat only glanced at it crossing the interstate at 80 mph.

Rick C.

Gyp canyon country 1.jpg
gyp canyon country 5.jpg
gyp canyon country 3.jpg

Last edited: